Backup electrical power?

Nansue1

The NY Times has an article on this subject today (Feb 25th).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/business/many-cruise-ship-lack-backup-power-systems-vexing-regulators.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130225

I'd put in a tiny url but the system doesn't like them.

According to the article, only about 10 cruise ships sailing today have backup systems. It doesn't specify which ships these are but does say that Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas do have them.

Mura

Thanks for your response, Mura. I had seen the NY Times article -- that's part of what prompted my question. I guess the place to go with the question is Oceania, but I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer. There are different types of backup power, but the one that most ships don't have is propulsion power. Fortunately the need for it is very rare!

Thanks for your response, Mura. I had seen the NY Times article -- that's part of what prompted my question. I guess the place to go with the question is Oceania, but I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer. There are different types of backup power, but the one that most ships don't have is propulsion power. Fortunately the need for it is very rare!

As I pointed out in a previous thread, the propulsion systems of most Cruise ships were created with a great deal of redundancy built directly into the system.

145648.jpg In this example of the Diesel Electric system, which is what the Marina and Riviera use, any of the four generators can power either (or both) of the two motors, which in turn can power either (or both) of the two screws.

That kind of flexibility offers about fifty different variations for bypassing a broken component, mostly (hopefully) without the passengers being aware of any issues.

The Carnival Triumph suffered major fire damage on (in?) her Electrical Supply Platform, which is akin to a home having a fire IN the Circuit Breaker Panel.

A situation which, while not unheard of, is certainly very very rare.

Archived