Cabin availability QM 2 transatlantic (booking question)

maina

I've been looking at available cabins for NY-Southampton or NY-Hamburg transatlantic on QM 2 on June 1, 2013. This is the same crossing, just with an extra 2 days tacked on the end to Hamburg. A lot of cabin classes are sold out for NY-Southampton, but there is a lot more cabin availability for NY-Hamburg. Can anyone explain this? Does it mean Cunard is holding out cabins for those booking the longer voyage, and if those do not sell, they may eventually release them for those wishing to book on the shorter leg? :confused:

For example, for NY-Southampton the least expensive outside cabin class available is listed as $1709 per person for sheltered balcony, lower deck mid (this is with our world class numbers entered in the fake booking I tried). For NY-Hamburg (2 extra days) we could book oceanview for $1439. We took our first transatlantic on the QM last June, and had a wonderful time. Then, we booked an oceanview cabin and got upgraded to sheltered balcony about 3-4 weeks before departure. I'm, sorely tempted to do the same this year, only booking all the way through to Hamburg as it's cheaper than the least expensive outside cabin to Southampton and we still might get upgraded.

I've been looking at available cabins for NY-Southampton or NY-Hamburg transatlantic on QM 2 on June 1, 2013. This is the same crossing, just with an extra 2 days tacked on the end to Hamburg. A lot of cabin classes are sold out for NY-Southampton, but there is a lot more cabin availability for NY-Hamburg. Can anyone explain this? Does it mean Cunard is holding out cabins for those booking the longer voyage, and if those do not sell, they may eventually release them for those wishing to book on the shorter leg? :confused:

For example, for NY-Southampton the least expensive outside cabin class available is listed as $1709 per person for sheltered balcony, lower deck mid (this is with our world class numbers entered in the fake booking I tried). For NY-Hamburg (2 extra days) we could book oceanview for $1439. We took our first transatlantic on the QM last June, and had a wonderful time. Then, we booked an oceanview cabin and got upgraded to sheltered balcony about 3-4 weeks before departure. I'm, sorely tempted to do the same this year, only booking all the way through to Hamburg as it's cheaper than the least expensive outside cabin to Southampton and we still might get upgraded.

We are booked on this crossing. New York to Southampton. I booked a long time ago so called this week to see if there were any reductions in fares since I booked. I was told the ship was almost sold out and fares had gone up. Our final payment is due on March 3rd. You might try waiting a few day's - maybe more staterooms will be available next week after all the final payments are in. The travel agents are probably holding some unsold staterooms.

We are booked on the June 1 crossing NY to Southampton also. We booked at the beginning of January during some sort of Wave Season promotion and fares have gone up since then. We have a BD sheltered balcony in the aft on Deck 4 and an inside across the hall. When we were watching fares, we noticed the same as you that there was more availability for the 9 day. Like Rrunner says, final payment is due on March 3 so maybe more cabins will open up after that.

We need to be across the hall from our kids, so we can't really hope for an upgrade.:)

Holding rooms for people booking the longer portion of the crossing is just what they are doing...They are doing the same thing for a Sept 23 crossing I am going on..suites show sold out NYC-Sou ..then space available if you want to go all the way Hamburg...

Holding rooms for people booking the longer portion of the crossing is just what they are doing...They are doing the same thing for a Sept 23 crossing I am going on..suites show sold out NYC-Sou ..then space available if you want to go all the way Hamburg...

You had better check the schedule or you will miss the boat. The QM2 sails to Southampton on Sept 22.

You had better check the schedule or you will miss the boat. The QM2 sails to Southampton on Sept 22.

Yes..a typo..I will be in NYC by friday night!!...And about the cabin booking post..well now there are no grills open under Q2 for the NYC-Southampton segment..thou if you would care to go to Hamburg ..wide open!! So much for the 'crossing" trade..they are holding the space for this slow cruise that follows the crossing..

Archived