Combo AirTran/Southwest flight - seat question

Straitlover

I thought I'd ask here before calling AirTran and sitting on hold forever. :)

I booked our return flights FLL to RDU on the Soughwest site because I was using RR points to pay for them. The flight combo I selected, the first flight is AirTran (FLL to BWI), and the second flight (BWI-RDU) is a SW flight. When I clicked on the Early Bird option, it said it was only good for the second leg, and of course, I had no option for seat selection for the first leg. Since we will be on the cruise at the 24-hr check-in, we would have to wait until we get to the airport to check in, and who knows what kind of seats would be left. I don't have anyone at home who can check in for us.

So, my questions is: can I call Airtran and purchase seat selection for the first leg even though I booked through SW??? I don't mind waiting to check in at the airport if we already have a seat. We will arrive at the airport in plenty of time (flight leaves at 1:50 PM).

TIA!!!

Just to update:

I did find out that if you book AirTran through the Southwest site, you can't pay for seat selection. They will assign you something, and you can change it if there are any empty seats when you check your bags at the airport.

So, instead of trying to fight crowds in the cafe, we will just check in online w/ my sister's smartphone when we dock in Miami using her data plan (flight leaves at 1:50 PM). If we end up all sitting seperately, oh well :).

Haven't decided if we will pay the $12.50 each for Early Bird for the SW flight, but I bet we will end up doing it :D.

Another thing I found out: as long as one leg of your flight is a SW flight, you can check 2 bags for free, even if you book via the AirTran website!

So, instead of trying to fight crowds in the cafe, we will just check in online w/ my sister's smartphone when we dock in Miami using her data plan (

It's probably too late... but I'm just curious. I know you mentioned using RR miles (don't know what they are, but assuming means - free) but.. since there are non-stop flights MIA (where you said you docked) to RDU for under $200pp return.. why do you want the hassle of going to FLL and Baltimore to get home?? Just me... I'd sooner take a non-stop any day for a couple hundred than spend all that time. Just me.

It's probably too late... but I'm just curious. I know you mentioned using RR miles (don't know what they are, but assuming means - free) but.. since there are non-stop flights MIA (where you said you docked) to RDU for under $200pp return.. why do you want the hassle of going to FLL and Baltimore to get home?? Just me... I'd sooner take a non-stop any day for a couple hundred than spend all that time. Just me.

I think you answered your own question - twice! "Just me." - you are not the poster. everyone values the time differently. also when using miles you often need to accept strange routings. it is the nature of the beast. but with award tickets you pay only a security fee for domestic flights so I can see the reasoning esp with multiple people. It probably saves hundreds of dollars...per person.

RR - Rapid Rewards w/ Southwest. Southwest does not fly into MIA. That's why we are flying from FLL. Being able to afford to go on the trip means using my points to pay for half the airfare. It's only an extra 3 hrs not counting driving time between POM and FLL. I'm in no hurry to get back home. :D

We are actually paying to fly down, but we are still flying into FLL. We are flying Jet Blue down ($91 and change pp). They had the best price, plus you get the first bag free. And they were the only nonstop. The original plan was to use SW RR points, but none of the SW flights were very convenient (had very long layovers). Besides, we are going down early and want to do some sightseeing (water taxi, maybe airboat), so FLL worked out OK for that.

®apid ®eward: SWA's program. Consumer economics: Americans love to spend time and even some $'s to save $'s, even as they undervalue their time or have to put up with inconveniences.

I personally don't see it as inconveniences or undervaluing my time. I don't mind layovers as long as it's not 2 or more hours, and I like airports. I'm single, so it's not like I'm rushing home to see anyone. Besides, I'd rather spend those 3 hours on the plane or in an airport saving the cost of my flight ($106) than working at a job trying to earn it.

Archived