Seeing the sites - help please

Summer1961

We will be in Roatan in early April on Celebrity Constellation. We are debating on what to do in Roatan after hearing/reading so many things about it being beautiful and lovely to being dirty and dangerous. I also understand that the port where we will be docked, Coxen Hole, is not in a good area. I've read so much I just cannot make up my mind if we want to just stay on the ship or actually venture out and see the island. We may never return to Roatan so I think it would be good to see something.

Can anyone else who has been there before shed some light on what to do/see in Roatan ? We are not interested in ziplining (we've done that but not here) or the beach, but would rather just enjoy the sights and nature. I would prefer a private tour rather than a ship excursion but will consider going with the ship if it makes better sense.

Any held would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Christine

kind person, your questions have been asked and answered many times here. :)

my 2¢? absolutely leave the ship and see the island. it is beautiful - poor, but beautiful. great snorkeling/diving if you like that kind of thing. you can arrange a full day private driver/island tour with rony or victor bodden for as little as $40/pp (with 2 people) or just $25 if you have 4 people. can't beat it.

hope that helps.

Roatan is not any more "dangerous" (probably less so) than any other port of call. But yes, if you aren't interested in seeing a beach, snorkeling or ziplining, you should book a private car with driver from Bodden, Ronys or other tour /drivers mentioned here. Check out what excrusion stops X offers and the tour companies' agendas and then hire a private tour hitting those things you want to experience. Stop in West End Village for some shopping and just to see the little divers' town.

Don't stay on the ship. This isn't scary like Belize City is. (where I would do a ship escursion)

There are a few shops right at the Coxen Hole cruise port if you want to stroll around there too.

You may find Roatan to be your favorite.We have been twice and are booked twice again, starting in April.We did Bodden and he is super. Book online, pay nothing till returned to the ship. Wife and I traveled alone to the desolate east end. No danger at all, only friendly people. Check out my slideshow that has quite a few pics of Roatan..

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0480-91a2-50e7

I am sure the next questiin has been asked as well, but is there anything in particular that is a must-see?

I have been reading and reading and am just getting confused with too much info. Your kind help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

Christine

Just got back Saturday...a beautiful, lush island. We arranged a tour with Cinthia's Tours...$20.00 pp...and she was outstanding. Wonderful command of English, and she was a great ambassador for Roatan. She also answered any questions we had, and was constantly offering to stop for pohoto opportunities or souvenir shopping. We just loved our time with her and never felt unsafe for one second. Shes's a smaller operation than some of the companies in Roatsn, but the service felt very personal. We Highlky recommend her services,

I am sure the next questiin has been asked as well, but is there anything in particular that is a must-see?

I have been reading and reading and am just getting confused with too much info. Your kind help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again.

Christine

I suggest you click though and email one of the tour companies.. these are links to two of the better known ones. Rony's and Bodden.

When you email tell them what you are NOT interested in and they will arrange an itinerary that suits your needs. They live on the island and this is there bread an butter... ya can't go wrong.. just let them know what you are interested in.

For a bit of history ~ The island was at one time only folks from the British Caymens, it was at one point only English speaking. Then the Honduran Spanish starting coming over from the mainland. The island people are amazing, warm and kind, they all speak English at home. Many of these families have been on the island for over 200 years.

Have a chat with one of the tour operates..they would be more than happy to drive you about to see the vistas and offer you a lunch spot.

By the by ~ I think every one should at least have a look at West Bay Beach..truly is beautiful.

One added bit of info.. I am a solo female traveler. I have been visiting the island for up three months for 13 years.. I have never once felt unsafe, not in Coxen Hole or anywhere else. Cheers

We've toured with Rony many times - great every time. There are fabulous beaches and great snorkeling. There are monkeys - really fun to play with. Several ziplines to choose from. I definately would not stay on the ship. We've never felt the least bit in danger. There are areas on the island that are less fortunate - but nothing dangerous.

We just returned from our February 16th cruise that visited Roatan which was our 4th time there. This was our first time to book a private driver which was Steve Bush of Roatan Trips and Tours. Steve was probably the most polite and courteous driver we have ever had at any of the islands we have visited, which have been numerous. He is native to Roatan and has a strong knowledge of the history of the island. He also has a strong personal commitment to making the island a better place for the young residents. He took us to the Butterfly Farm which is small but interesting. He also took us to a lookout spot where you could see both sides of the island and to spots for photographs. He recommended several beaches and we ended up at a resort at West End which didn't cost anything. However, we wanted to patronize the business so we purchased beverages. The water was wonderful there. I highly recommend Steve. He will plan your day to be exactly what you want it to be. He'll watch your belongings while you are shopping or touring a spot. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived