World Cruise - 100+ Days - Medical Insurance

sail7seas

I've been wondering what U.S. cruisers over age 65 and on Medicare do for medical insurance when their travel days number well over 100? Most travel policies limit medical coverage/coverage for trips around 70 days?

Medicare does not pay outside U.S. so what do they do for coverage?

Thanks if you can help.

We have annual MedJet Assist policy and have for years.

They are ONLY medical evacuation. They do not pay any medical treatment bills but all we have heard about them is very good. We renew when due and having that policy gives us peace of mind. That is one of the few insurers who are likely to transport you to your home hospital if that is what you wish and it is possible/safe medically. Most others will not.

They let you right it for as many days as you want?

Thanks for the info.

Sail, Travel Guard currently does not have a limit on days of coverage. It is based on dollar amount and age of insured. Pre-existing conditions are covered as long as purchased with 14 days of deposit of trip. Now notice I said currently, we are being told there will be changes to Travel Guard come June, could the number of days be effected? Probably not but just stating that currently there is no limit to do the number of days covered.

Medicare's our primary health insurance, but the Blue Cross secondary policy we have through our pension plan covers out of country expenses. So this may be worth checking into for some travelers.

Massachusetts Blue Cross Medex to Medicare also says they pay out of country. I don't know anyone who has 'tested' it in our state.

I always buy us medical coverage when we travel. We self insure for cancellation or interruption as that is low exposure in comparison to medical and evacuation. That is where the real money can be and I'd rather have duplicate insurance than none.

To write medical/evacuation coverage only (without cancellation) is very low premiums.

Sail, Travel Guard currently does not have a limit on days of coverage. It is based on dollar amount and age of insured. Pre-existing conditions are covered as long as purchased with 14 days of deposit of trip. Now notice I said currently, we are being told there will be changes to Travel Guard come June, could the number of days be effected? Probably not but just stating that currently there is no limit to do the number of days covered.

Thanks, Lisa.

All of this is just information gathering for me as DH is not retired but I like to stay up to date and informed about these sort of things. 'Ya never know!!! :)

Medicare's our primary health insurance, but the Blue Cross secondary policy we have through our pension plan covers out of country expenses. So this may be worth checking into for some travelers.
I learned the following at a Medicare seminar hosted by Blue Cross/Blue Shield regarding the out of country Medicare Supplement coverage:

Medical coverage is $50,000.00 lifetime for out of country. In other words if BC/BS pays $10.000 for medical needs while out of country you have a $40,000 remaining benefit . The BC/BS representative recommended the purchase of travel insurance in addition to the BC/BS coverage.

Judy, I'm so happy to hear that you and DH are thinking of doing a World Cruise...have fun with the planning!

Sheila, :eek:

I'm not sure where you indicate you 'heard' we are considering a World Cruise.

WE ARE NOT. :)

DH is still very busy in his profession and there is no way he could dream of leaving his office that long...... I'm not even sure I want to.

So, No....... we are not considering a World Cruise. In all honesty, at the moment, a World Cruise is not high on our 'bucket list'. That, of course, could change but that's is at best a maybe.

(Please don't spread any rumors. :D :D)

Sheila, :eek:

I'm not sure where you indicate you 'heard' we are considering a World Cruise.

WE ARE NOT. :)

DH is still very busy in his profession and there is no way he could dream of leaving his office that long...... I'm not even sure I want to.

So, No....... we are not considering a World Cruise. In all honesty, at the moment, a World Cruise is not high on our 'bucket list'. That, of course, could change but that's is at best a maybe.

(Please don't spread any rumors. :D :D)

Judy, I didn't "hear" anything...I assumed that when you posted the question regarding medical coverage on a World Cruise, you were considering it....

Noo, nooo,,,,, :)

I am interested because of something I read on another forum.

Just because I'm not personally doing a particular cruise, the issue still interested me as pertains to other people.

We do insure for trip interruption and cancellation on the world cruise and other "grand" cruises because it's a big investment, but on shorter cruises or independent trips we self-insure all but the medical. In those cases we insure the trip at $0 cost and just get the medical. Travel Guard has insured us on World cruises up to 117 days, so as far as I know there is no limit. We did run up against a limit on the insurance sold by our TA. She said she could do two separate policies, but we went with Travel Guard just to be safe.

Fortunately we have never had to use the insurance, but we're afraid to leave home without it.

Leslie

Archived