Carnival Valor cruise

jamesk

Hi All,

My wife and I am booked to go on a carnival valor western caribbean cruise sept.18th to 24th.

This is our first cruise and we are both looking forward to it. I am getting a bit concerned however because in reading reviews, a lot of horror stories are comming out.

Is the service really as bad as it sounds, or is it that people's expectations are just too high?

Hi All,

My wife and I am booked to go on a carnival valor western caribbean cruise sept.18th to 24th.

This is our first cruise and we are both looking forward to it. I am getting a bit concerned however because in reading reviews, a lot of horror stories are comming out.

Is the service really as bad as it sounds, or is it that people's expectations are just too high?

I would think the latter.......Remember......the ship holds nearly 3000 people and you only hear from a few and sometimes their complaint is that their room steward didn't smile at them or their water glass got half empty or something....I'm sure there are a few legit complaints but they, like us, are just humans.....Go with an open mind and enjoy......I've been on many cruises and had very little problem but the worst problem, I can't even remember......might have been the waiter brought me tea instead of water......who knows?:eek: ....Go ENJOY!:D

I'm also sailing it on July 24th. Friends of mine went in May & said the service was horrible! The cabin steward never gave them clean towels after many requests. He kept hanging up the dirty ones. I would be furious! The server never brought them a birthday cake they ordered either. Room service breakfast never came one morning, he had to call twice to get it.

They also said Embarkation was terribly slow, and they cruise CCL all the time. I hope they get their act together very soon.

Hi All,

My husband and I were on the May 1-8 Western Caribbean cruise on the Valor...I have yet to write a review (I keep meaning to)...this was our 2nd cruise....we had an AWESOME time. Please don't let the negative reviews get you worried...I think a cruise is what you make of it. (We were a part of a group of 25 that traveled together...we can't wait to plan our next cruise!!!)

Please don't let the negative reviews get you worried...I think a cruise is what you make of it. (We were a part of a group of 25 that traveled together...we can't wait to plan our next cruise!!!)

I'm sure we will have a great time no matter what. Unless the seas are as bad as they are now LOL.

But, we are 22 people traveling and have shelled out over $30,000 for this adventure. I expect & want good service. I don't want to use dirty towels and I want my room service when I order it. Not too much to expect.

Let's really hope they do get their act together.

Their act is together....believe me.....we've seen way too many great reports....remember it only takes one apple to spoil the bunch...You'll be fine.....Come back and let us know.:D

I was on Valor 2 weeks ago. I didn't experience the terrible service that people are talking about. I had a wonderful time and so did my family. I felt the service was great and had nothing really to complain about. Be prepared for Embarkation and Debarkation to take time. It took us about an hour and a half to get on and maybe an hour getting off. We did self-assist getting off. Did I let that ruin my trip and experience, absolutely not. I got so many great ideas from CC but was so afraid before we left that we were going to have a terrible time because of negative reviews. I wrote on another post that if you are a fun person then you are going to have a fun time and if you're not then you're not going to have fun. My parents had a problem with the room steward on the first day but spoke with him and it was resolved right away. I absolutely enjoyed myself and I'm sure you will to. We are already planning another Caribbean cruise for next year. Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know.

I was on Valor 2 weeks ago. I didn't experience the terrible service that people are talking about. I had a wonderful time and so did my family. I felt the service was great and had nothing really to complain about.

That is good to know, thanks :)

With the Embarkation, would it help to arrive after they start boarding the ship?

Cheryl.

Every review I have read (positive or negative) about the past few months cruises have said the same thing. Embarkation takes an hour and a half. That seems true no matter what time you get to the port so I am mentally preparing for that so it wont be "a thang" when it happens.

For me, I want to get to the port as early as possible so I can get back on a ship as fast as possible. I have been retired from the Navy for about 5 1/2 years now (after 26 years in) and nothing (except my wife) makes me happier than being on a ship.

See you in line on the 24th. I will be the big guy sweating and smiling.

Joe

I'm on the Valor right now...

Embarkation - no problem, arrived between 10:30 and 11:00 and were on the ship by 12:30. No long hot lines, just a process to get 3000 people off a ship and 3000 people back on.

Towels - you had to ask for clean towels? How sad, if that was the case a simple call can fix a lot of things. We've have great service, room always clean and made up after we leave, ice full, and all towels replaced as needed.

And yes...we've had some issues, but it's vacation!!! Enjoy yourself...

-Mike

Cheryl.

See you in line on the 24th. I will be the big guy sweating and smiling.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

My parents want to get there early <sigh> nervous nellies, so I guess I'll be in that line as well. Maybe we should ahve our CC in line! LOL

See ya soon :)

I'm on the Valor right now...

Embarkation - no problem, arrived between 10:30 and 11:00 and were on the ship by 12:30. No long hot lines, just a process to get 3000 people off a ship and 3000 people back on.

-Mike

very good to hear!!

How bad has the CD's voice been in the morning? I hear he babbles very early on the loud speaker. We are late risers.

Thanks.

Any other new tips that you can share with us?

and I have nothing but good reviews for ship, food & service (with the exception of getting on and off the ship). if I had the money and time, I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. I can't imagine wanting or needing any more than I got from the Valor ship and crew. no fears, you'll have a blast. and if something doesn't meet your expectations, please let someone on board know ASAP...as only THEN can the problem will be remedied to your satisfaction.

BTW...

The clothsline 'thingie' in our shower doesn't work. Maybe I should complain to someone and get a refund or a discount. I can't believe I'm paying this kind of money and I can't hang up my wet suit and dry it out.

Oh well...

If you rehang your towels, that means you will keep them and use them again. They ask that if you would like new towels, to please leave them on the floor and they will be replaced.

Understandable. She said she did not hang them, the cabin steward hung them instead of changing. She did call and it wasn't taken care of. I would ahve made sure it was. Unexcusable though.

BTW...

The clothsline 'thingie' in our shower doesn't work. Maybe I should complain to someone and get a refund or a discount. I can't believe I'm paying this kind of money and I can't hang up my wet suit and dry it out.

Oh well...

Is that how you are interpreting the complaints?

Dont be concerned, lot of these Reviews are or seem to be from people that just cant have a good time. One passenger complained about a port the ship had to miss, It was due to the weather, I guess he didnt care for his family safety or nor the rest of the ships.

I laugh at these reviews because my wife nor I have never seen these crazy things happen, we are always treated with the upmost respect and overall the vacation is a blast including the food.

Being your first cruise you will come back and see what the heck are these people talking about. If you listen to these negative people, you will never go on a trip.

take care.

BTW...

Oh well...

LOL How much does that Wet suit wieght? I think they should refund you the whole cruise LOL :)

I think it depends on the cruiser and the mindset. I have been reading the same reviews and almost all of them talk about the terrible lines at embarkation and debarkation (even the good reviews). I told hubby about this,just to forewarn him. His answer, "So what. We'll just fire up the DVD player or hang out, knowing that we don't have to answer our cell phones or attend to the kids". That sums it up. We expect some things to "go wrong" or service to be "less than perfect". I'm on vacation without the kiddos and I'm not on-call for work (DH and I are usually on-call 24/7). We don't require 5 star service and accomodations and I think many do.

Did the 5/8 Valor cruise and it was great. As for reviews, when you ask somebody about food or service, you will get many opinions. It's like asking about wine. Another thing about reviews is that outside factors affect each cruise differently: the weather, rough seas, a cancelled port, capacity booking, a good or bad room stewart, a good or bad food server, etc.

I liked the Valor so much that we are already booked for a 3/18/06 cruise on the Liberty, the new Valor twin.

Jamesk, we'll be sailing with you on the Valor in September. Just wrapped up booking all our excursions. Have sailed with Carnival seven times now. I expect no problems. Carnival has always been awesome. Vacation is a state of mind - - you have to relax and don't sweat the small stuff!

Archived