Chef's Table - Cost? Worth It?

glrydays

Does anyone know the cost of the "chef's table" - Can it be booked in advance and is it worth it? We will be on the Breeze March 9

don't know about the breeze, but, we did it on the dream last year.:)

it was $75 each and worth every penny of it.:) it was a great experience.

yes, you can book it in advance, you will not have to pay for it until after you eat.

We did it on the Triumph and it was most definetly worth the price* and we tipped about 15% extra. I would do it again with the new menu, as we had the old one.

We reserved ahead of time by emailing the maitre'd. If your ship has a steakhouse, you email them. A search of the boards should bring up the email addresses.

*I don't drink alcohol and still thought the experience was fabulous.

$75 is a great value for what you get as it comes with the wine paring. I usually pay around $200-400 per person for my wife and myself at various restaurants in Los Angeles for a similar experience. While this is not on the same level, food wise, as those restaurants, I would fully expect to pay $150 per person if this were on land.

$75 is a great value for what you get as it comes with the wine paring.

Not really a wine pairing, just wine offered. The wine (a white and red are provided, at our table everyone kept both glasses full the whole night) isn't paired to the courses, just a decent bottle served.

I have some stupid questions:

Is it the same food that is served in the MDR?

Is it the same foods that is served in the "steakhouse"?

Is there another way to book it besides going through the steakhouse email?

What is it about it that makes this a memorable experience?

Not really a wine pairing, just wine offered. The wine (a white and red are provided, at our table everyone kept both glasses full the whole night) isn't paired to the courses, just a decent bottle served.

When I did it I asked for the Chef to provide a wine paring for each dish. He obliged with no issue. We tried 8 different wine varietals that night. Hopefully the chef of the Breeze will provide the same service.

Just a note: the only time I have indulged in the chefs table was on the Splender when the program started. It's possible they were going above and beyond because the program had just got underway.

Below is a link to the menu. The food is like nothing they serve anywhere else on the ship. You can try to book once on your cruise but, you run the risk of it being full.

http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/chefs_table.htm

When I did it I asked for the Chef to provide a wine paring for each dish. He obliged with no issue. We tried 8 different wine varietals that night. Hopefully the chef of the Breeze will provide the same service.

Wow- I've never heard anyone else say that, and I love reading Chef's tables reviews so I've seen a number of them. You got lucky for sure, maybe lightening will strike twice.

Not the same food as the MDR, not even close.

Never been to the steakhouse, but my understanding is it is a totally different type of food.

This is a fixed menu, that offers a number of courses all made with exquisite attention to detail and taste. (If you have any allergies or preferences they accomodate amazingly- we had one person not eat fish and she got 2 made for her courses, and I don't drink wine, and they also replaced the wine reduction in one of my dishes!)

You can book on the ship if you don't want to email the steakhouse or maitre'd.

It is a memorable experience because it is a small dinner for 12 (we all had a great time together- we noticed they group the two groups of 12 by age, so we were in the younger group, the next night was a bit older) with a bunch of foodies. You also get a galley tour. Although there was unlimited wine served (glasses were never less than half full, my husband estimated he drank a bottle, plus a few glasses of champagne in the galley) no one was there to just drink $75 worth.

It was just a fabulous evening- I got to make Warm Chocolate Melting cake in the galley, for instance! Although we tasted the 'old' menu, if you look at my Triumph review in my signature, starting on page 2, you will see photos and a detailed explanation of how our evening went.

We did it on our last Splendor cruise (Oct.'12) and I would say yes, do it for the experience. The food is delicious and artfully presented. The chef describes how each item is prepared as it is presented. I cannot be certain but I believe there were at least 8 different items presented. Sparking wine is offered in the galley with an appetizer. You get a tour of the galley when it is in full force. Approximately 12 people are a part of your group. A "fair" red wine and a white wine is offered at the table and is filled as often as you like. You will not leave hungry.

Having done this once, I don't feel a need to do it again but perhaps again sometime in the future with a different menu. I believe they keep the same menu for approximately two years. Not sure.

How often do you think it will be offered on a 7-night cruise?

(Thought I read somewhere it's done only once during each cruise but maybe that has changed because it is becoming so popular.)

They offer it based on the number of people who sign up. We had it twice on a 5 night cruise, for instance.

You will not leave hungry.

That's an understatement! We were so full after the dinner that when we woke up the next morning my husband and I split a banana for breakfast and didn't eat again until after hours of snorkeling!

It will be held twice if there is enough demand. The experience is wonderful, the chef explains the philosophy behind the chef's table, talks about the preparation of each dish he is serving, discusses what happens in the kitchen. ON the magic we were able to watch the preparation of many of our dishes as they are being finalized at a counter right across from the table where we were sitting. The wait staff was delightful and catered to your every need and want. Some at our table did not drink wine, one gentleman liked ale so the chef picked several ales for him to sample during the various courses, others were provided with iced tea and soft drinks or juices to replace the wine. I have already booked the chef's table for our August sailing on the Magic so my friends can have that experience. I traveled on the Magic in January with family and we all loved it.

4 hours could be long time for a smoker especially if drinking wine, does anybody in the group excuse themselves to go smoke in a smoking area and of course come back?

There are long enough gaps between each item that this would not be an issue.

When do you let them know that you don't like certain things-for example I HATE seafood.

When you arrive you will let them know that you HATE seafood.

Off topic: I always find it crazy when people claim to hate an entire catorgory of food. You could never have tried all the items in that catorgory and every item can be cooked a varity of ways. This is like saying you hate bread or meat or candy. Just my 2 cents.

Does your stomach get a break from the food? My hubby had a lap band, so he can't eat a ton.

I have a lap band and my husband and I did the Chef's table on our cruise in February. I was able to eat pretty much everything. Some dishes I didn't finish because I wanted to make sure I would have room to at least try everything. I also drank a few glasses or wine. By the time we got to desert I was so full I could barely taste it. However, it was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.

Actually we have decided we will be doing it again on our next cruise in March 2014 :)

When you arrive you will let them know that you HATE seafood.

Off topic: I always find it crazy when people claim to hate an entire catorgory of food. You could never have tried all the items in that catorgory and every item can be cooked a varity of ways. This is like saying you hate bread or meat or candy. Just my 2 cents.

The smell of seafood alone makes my stomach turn. Let's see, I've tried lobster, crab, scallops, and variety of fish, and liked none of them. So yes, I'd say I hate the whole category of seafood. Call me crazy if you want. :p

Archived