Chef's Table - Cost? Worth It?

glrydays

How would you compare it to the dining in the steakhouse that is at an additional charge? If you have been there? I went to the Steakhouse(different name for the different ships) several times..The food was/in amazing!

So, I am thinking why dont I just do the Captains Dinner since there may or may not be a wine pairing?

Thanks for anyones help!

Dining in the steakhouse vs the chefs table is .... Different. Eating at Peter Lugers or Delmonicos is going to cost similar to eating at Providence or Jean George's but you will have a vastly different experience.

At the steakhouse you will get 3 items. All will/should be perfectly cooked and the food should be very comfortable to you. At the chefs table you will get 8+ small courses and while some items you will be familiar with, they will be prepared in a way that you may be unfamiliar with. Unfamiliar with the other ingredients used, the method of cooking, or both.

Just some food for thought.

The overall experience should be excellent at both.

I definitely agree with you here, on all accounts. The Wagyu was the best part of the entire menu and I am not really a beef eater.

As for where you dine - I would never, ever want to have this sort of meal in a noisy, bustling kitchen. We had our sparking wine and an appetizer in the kitchen, while standing, toured the entire kitchen, and then we all were taken to a quiet room with one long table set up for enjoying the rest of the meal.

I cannot say I cared for the ambiance of the room. It felt more like a very small conference room in a hotel.

so does anyone know what the ambience is like for this on the valor? I'm guessing the steakhouse would have a better feeling for a romantic evening than the chefs dinner in almost a conference room?

Not the same food as the MDR, not even close.

Never been to the steakhouse, but my understanding is it is a totally different type of food.

This is a fixed menu, that offers a number of courses all made with exquisite attention to detail and taste. (If you have any allergies or preferences they accomodate amazingly- we had one person not eat fish and she got 2 made for her courses, and I don't drink wine, and they also replaced the wine reduction in one of my dishes!)

You can book on the ship if you don't want to email the steakhouse or maitre'd.

It is a memorable experience because it is a small dinner for 12 (we all had a great time together- we noticed they group the two groups of 12 by age, so we were in the younger group, the next night was a bit older) with a bunch of foodies. You also get a galley tour. Although there was unlimited wine served (glasses were never less than half full, my husband estimated he drank a bottle, plus a few glasses of champagne in the galley) no one was there to just drink $75 worth.

It was just a fabulous evening- I got to make Warm Chocolate Melting cake in the galley, for instance! Although we tasted the 'old' menu, if you look at my Triumph review in my signature, starting on page 2, you will see photos and a detailed explanation of how our evening went.

Dining in the steakhouse vs the chefs table is .... Different. Eating at Peter Lugers or Delmonicos is going to cost similar to eating at Providence or Jean George's but you will have a vastly different experience.

At the steakhouse you will get 3 items. All will/should be perfectly cooked and the food should be very comfortable to you. At the chefs table you will get 8+ small courses and while some items you will be familiar with, they will be prepared in a way that you may be unfamiliar with. Unfamiliar with the other ingredients used, the method of cooking, or both.

Just some food for thought.

The overall experience should be excellent at both.

Thank you! I am going to book this. The menu never changes at the Steakhouse and we about had everything. I love trying new foods-thanks so much!

so does anyone know what the ambience is like for this on the valor? I'm guessing the steakhouse would have a better feeling for a romantic evening than the chefs dinner in almost a conference room?

The chefs table is an experience with 10 other people. Lots of conversation with them and the chef. You are generally sat across the table from your dining partner. I would not call it romantic in the least.

I enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Liberty; it was the new menu, but I'd never had the old menu. I don't dislike seafood but I don't like raw meat of any kind. I told them I didn't like salmon and they gave me shrimp instead.

I have booked 2 steakhouse nights and the Chef's Table for my Sept/Oct cruise on the Breeze (one of the steakhouse nights may be replaced by the Chef's Table, they don't tell you what night it will be until you're on the ship).

This next time I will just tell them no raw fish! I hope they have revised the dessert, I was not wild about the "Chef In A Candy Store" dessert.....it was more enjoyable watching them put it together than eat it, IMO :)

If you are in ANY way a foodie, GO for it. If you're not, it's probably not worth it. I wish I could make it on the Top Chef (Celebrity) cruise in April!

The chefs table is an experience with 10 other people. Lots of conversation with them and the chef. You are generally sat across the table from your dining partner. I would not call it romantic in the least.

Alright we will probably just go to the steakhouse then and use the other $45 each to do something else. Thanks! We really loved Portofino's on our RCI cruise.

I just got my confirmation email for the chef's table! I'm so excited to try it.

I really want to as well on my next Carnival cruise...going to mix things up a bit with cruises now..but i think it is a wonderful offering..just a neat activity/food/meeting like minded interest thing and so different form other things more family dining, fast dining, steakhouse dining and party, romantic, and game related...Sarah

PS for OP..I think the cost is worth it from reports people give...you have to consider it as an activity and dining experience where one receives alot...like a medium priced shore excursion with some fancy things...and a very good price for a unique fine dining experience in a unique venue on a family oriented more budget conscious cruise...giving a great experience if you are a "foodie" on any level...Sarah

I just got my confirmation email for the chef's table! I'm so excited to try it.

ENJOY!

We did it on the Freedom in last month and loved it! We had previously done it on Princess a couple of years ago and Carnival blew that experience out of the water! I've wanted to type a review and post pictures, but haven't had the chance.

Is this mainly a couple thing or is there singles there? My DH does not want to do this but it sounds like fun to me. And what is the dress code? Thanks!

I think it is not just couples because i know of friends who cruise together and do it..so just pretty sure it would work out...more and more solos cruise and it would appeal to them too....Sarah

I think dress code is just like the main on regular night...I would wear nice slacks and a nice top or dressy capri's etc. I don't know about cruise elegant night..but do not think they would do it then...

Is this mainly a couple thing or is there singles there? My DH does not want to do this but it sounds like fun to me. And what is the dress code? Thanks!

Singles will be fine as you are sitting at table with other guests. The dress should be formal.

Singles will be fine as you are sitting at table with other guests. The dress should be formal.

Woops on my dress comment but have not seen people looking super formal on group photos posted here...just "nice".

Woops on my dress comment but have not seen people looking super formal on group photos posted here...just "nice".

You're right on the dress code. I should have put dressy casual. Basically just don't look like a hobo hahaha.

Don't be afraid to do this experience alone. The conversation around the table is great as well as interaction with the chef and servers. WE had the new menu on the Magic in January and l loved it so much that I came home and talked two friends into sailing on the Magic again in August and had no problem talking them into the chef's table. You could never compare the Cornish game hens you put in the crock pot to the delightfully prepared Cornish game hen breast that we were served. On the Magic, you are in the kitchen but it was a wonderful experience watching the action of the area as well as being able to see the staff prepare our plates with meticulous precision. Do not hesitate if you love food and enjoy learning about the food and its preparation.

Archived