Cruising From San Francisco

marial

Hi there,

We are considering doing the Nov 20th Dawn Princess Cruise from San Francisco - 10 days Mexican Riveria. Does anyone have any experience sailing out of SF? We have done the Mexican Riveria twice on RCCL and NCL, but have never sailed from SF. I am worried about rough seas. If anyone can tell me there experience I would greatly appreciate it. I have experienced some rough seas coming back to LA from Mexico(during same time last year on the Star), so I am wondering how the waters would be from SF. Thanks,

Maria

bdjam.. I guess I have been lucky as I have made five northern sailings up to SF from Mexico with smooth seas.. The only time I experienced any motion problems going north was on SF/Alaska/SF cruise on the Sky in 91. When we hit the Oregon Washington area the ship was rocking so bad that over half of the passengers missed the first formal night. Not me, however I had to eat alone. Wasn't too bad as the wine steward, a young lady from England spent the entire dinner time talking to me while I ate.. :D

bdjam.. I guess I have been lucky as I have made five northern sailings up to SF from Mexico with smooth seas.. The only time I experienced any motion problems going north was on SF/Alaska/SF cruise on the Sky in 91. When we hit the Oregon Washington area the ship was rocking so bad that over half of the passengers missed the first formal night. Not me, however I had to eat alone. Wasn't too bad as the wine steward, a young lady from England spent the entire dinner time talking to me while I ate.. :D

I’ve had pretty much the same experiences – sailing north from San Francisco is definitely iffy as far as calm seas. I’ve had moderate, very rough and smooth. I’ve had a couple of sailings up the California coast from the south that were a bit rough as well…like you, no matter to me…makes me hungry! And a little Scotch definitely settles the stomach!

Love sailing out of San Francisco - beautiful harbor, and a thrill going under th Golden Gate Bridge.

Sea state always iffy - the Japanese Current flows South along the Left Coast, so generally bumpier Northbound than Southbound. Often bumpy just outside the Golden Gate, in area known as "potato patch" - currents from the bay colliding with the Japanese Current.

Archived