Century engine vibration

sailorgirl

Cruising Nov. 7th for ten day on Century in Sky Suite on Deck 12. I keep hearing about the vibration in the aft of the ship and best to avoid that area. Does any one have any first hand experience regarding that issue?

Thanks, Carole

My inlaws were in 1134 on the back of the century, and when ever the ship would change direction or slow down you could hear and feel it, But we were in 1055 towards the middle of the ship and we heard nothing?

We sailed on Century and had a cabin on that deck, 1215 I believe and I don't recall any problems like you describe. I think you will love the location and how convenient it is to the pool and Island Cafe'. I would love to get a cabin in the location again. We are sailing on the Century the week prior to your sailing. We were not able to get the Sports deck this time.

Cruising Nov. 7th for ten day on Century in Sky Suite on Deck 12. I keep hearing about the vibration in the aft of the ship and best to avoid that area. Does any one have any first hand experience regarding that issue?

Thanks, Carole

The C-Class ships are more prone to this than the M-Class ships, but it's primarily an issue (alluded to above) of thrust changes. You'll find it not generally noticable except when arriving and departing from ports. On the Galaxy, we were all the way aft, and we thought of it as our morning "wake up call" as we docked. Apart from that, we never noticed it.

I spent the better part of my cruise at the aft end of Mercury during the May 27 Alaska cruise - and I noticed engine vibration on every deck on which I stood - from Promenade all the way up to the top. High speed cruising (open water), medium-speed cruising (Inside Passage) and low-speed (port manuvering) and it rumbled, sometimes worse than others, but it certainly was noticeable enough for my wife to note that she was glad we didn't have an aft cabin.

On our two Century cruises, we were in 1028 one time and in 1029 the other time. We did not feel any vibration in our cabin at any time. We did hear noise, because we left our veranda door open, and you could hear the sounds of the vessel rushing through the water!

There was vibration in the dining room which was felt as well as noise when:

1. The vessel was making full RPMs heading from FLL to San Juan.

2. When the vessel was manuvering to dock - particularly when one or both of the shafts were backing down.

Based on my Navy experience, none of the above are unusual, and are what you would expect on a vessel powered by shafts and propellers.

sailorgirl,

Please be sure you sign up for the Cruise Critic/Celebrity Connections party. We're at 17 now so we don't need many more to get it going. Looking forward to seeing you (and all the other CC participants) on board.

Archived