Its the little things that drive you nuts!

Blamar

We had an American nite just before docking in SF last year from FLL via

Panama Canal.........Did think when we entered Canadian Waters we would have a Canada Nite...but no....I vote for an American,Canadian and British Nite....because have found these are the the majority on my cruises plus an International to include all nations.(We must have an Aussie one on cruises starting there)

Yes I can understand the singing and' God Bless America'.....it comforts all those that live in the USA especially since 911....and I join in with them.'GOD BLESS AMERICA' and keep it safe in his hands.

Kruisey dual UK/Canadian Citizen :)

I empathize with what some of the Canadians are saying.

Several years ago, I believe before 9-11, one of the production shows on Princess included songs for all the States,God Bless America, and Oh Canada, and I thought it was quite well done.

And I agree with the person who wants to "can" the Baked Alaska Parade. I find it old, hokey, and I think a fire hazard with the sparklers. Bah Humbug! I don't care for the flavor of that dessert, so have an ice cream sundae instead.

I am American. I do also agree that it is so superficial. It is almost embarassing because it is as if the cruiseline feels they need to suck up to all the Americans onboard.

A few years ago, I went to the Champions on Ice tour. At the end, they did this whole american tribute as the finale. It is so clearly insincere. Most of the skaters are European. I'm sure they aren't into it at all, but again, they feel the need to suck up to the audience.

Are there people who really take it seriously and actually believe the waiters are sincere when singing about the country they love so much...when in fact they do not live there at all? When you think about it, the cruiseship they are on isn't even registered in the US.

I realize I might get slammed for my comments, but I thought the theme and song had something to do with the cuisine for the night. :confused: I never thought of it any other way. Matter of fact, I have a problem with any of the songs they sing..

Deena

There we were last summer picture this: docked along side St Marks Square because the Venice port was full. We were overlooking homes and streets in Venice for our final overnight of the cruise. So because it was the final night out come the American flags and the waitstaff dressed in silly american outfits. I felt uncomfortable with the whole nationalistic thing. They did not do the Baked Alaska thing that I recall. I also don't care for that desert and much prefer the other deserts.

There were not French flags on french night nor Greek flags on Greek dinner night as I recall? On that final night if singing had ensued, I would have been tempted to sing God Save the Queen instead God Bless America in honor of being in Europe. It is the same tune you know!

I consider myself a decent home grown American but this nationalistic thing has gone overboard or should I say "should go overboard". Lets leave our politics at home ok and be good world citizens? Can't we all just vacation nicely together? Sigh, Ilene

In all of my 15 Princess cruises on 6 different Princess ships, I have never encountered singing like the OP stated.
I've got about 10 Princess cruises, most of them longer than 7 days, and I've never encountered waitstaff singing "God Bless America."

On my RCCL cruises, the waitstaff get together and sing almost every night. I really hate it.

As for the Baked Alaska, I'm like the other poster: it's not my favorite dessert. They always look at me like I'm strange when I ask for a dessert menu.

Originally Posted by ourlol

I wonder though, if on the British Isles itinerary, they will have a Rule Britannia night - complete with Union Jacks and red, white and blue balloons?

Originally Posted by Globaliser

If they did that, I think that I would die of embarrassment.

Globaliser,

I suspect I would too… we Brits are not known for being very demonstrative are we? However, our reserve and discomfort in such situations can often ~ thankfully ~ be compensated for by our ability to laugh at ourselves.

In all of my 15 Princess cruises on 6 different Princess ships, I have never encountered singing like the OP stated.

That statement puzzled me too – I’ve never heard any such singing on any of my cruises either. Red, white and blue, yes – but about the only singing I’ve experienced is the “Macarena” when the Baked Alaska comes in.

Interesting they used to perform a production show called "America's Music" on Princess ships. The finale was a bunch of patriotic US songs and on one sailing on which I saw the show, there was not one person from the US in the cast. But the audience just ate it up.

It's just a gimmicky thing. If they ONLY did American Night, and left out Italian and Continental Night...then I'd probably agree with the OP.

Although...what does bug me is that they changed the name of French Night to Continental Night. I'm sure it had something to do with the whole anti french sentiment in DC awhile back.

argosy -- In DC ? There was .. and well still is a lot of Anti-French sentiment in the US, it hasn't really died down its just not on the front page of the papers any more.

Although...what does bug me is that they changed the name of French Night to Continental Night. I'm sure it had something to do with the whole anti french sentiment in DC awhile back.
I hope that’s not true…we look silly enough as it is. There were some changes in the French menu when it went to Continental, so maybe this isn’t the case…

Honestly, on any of my 7 Princess cruises, I've never seen the singing either. But if they did sing the U.S. national anthem, I think that's taking it too far. As I said earlier, I thought the international themes pertained only to the food. After all, it is a dining room, not a patriotic pep rally!

Let's face it, the Americans are probably the most influential nationality when it comes to cruising, particularily in the Caribbean. I see no problem recognizing the USA. For Canadians, the US is our largest trading partner, provides a great deal of security for us and we are lucky to have them as neighbours. Of course, we don't always see eye to eye, and in the last few years there has been some tension between our two countries, but who doesn't have the odd riff?

I feel we are all blessed to live where we do, Canada, USA and Mexico. We could have neighbours like Iran, Iraq, etc and worry everyday what will be blown up.

God bless us all:D

argosy -- In DC ? There was .. and well still is a lot of Anti-French sentiment in the US, it hasn't really died down its just not on the front page of the papers any more.

I suppose you're right. I was hoping you were wrong, being part French.

Let's face it, the Americans are probably the most influential nationality when it comes to cruising, particularily in the Caribbean. I see no problem recognizing the USA. For Canadians, the US is our largest trading partner, provides a great deal of security for us and we are lucky to have them as neighbours. Of course, we don't always see eye to eye, and in the last few years there has been some tension between our two countries, but who doesn't have the odd riff?

I feel we are all blessed to live where we do, Canada, USA and Mexico. We could have neighbours like Iran, Iraq, etc and worry everyday what will be blown up.

God bless us all:D

Amen also. :cool:

I have been on 18 Princess cruises, and I have never heard them sing any Pro-American songs. I like that they call it the "Land Fall" dinner with American dishes. Kind of a nice way to bookend the cruise.

I too dislike Baked Alaska./ The smell of the burning sweet stuff makes the hair rise on the back of my neck. I always ask for dessert menu, and others have stated, I always get a very strange look!

Casey

My Map tells me that Canada is on the North AMERICAN continent. I did not know that Canadians so alienated themselves.

Have you seen this theme night? You'd have to be kidding me if you are trying to tell me it is about North America. Last I checked we didn't have blue on our flag, but the red and white were spot on :).

For those who would like a change from American Night...

May I suggest the Rhapsody of The Seas, RCCL, out of Galveston, TEXAS... They do a Texas night & sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas." If you were born & raised there, you'd know why they/we say... TEXAS, IT'S A WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY! :D Woo-hoo, yee-hah, whoop, whoop!

For those who would like a change from American Night...

May I suggest the Rhapsody of The Seas, RCCL, out of Galveston, TEXAS... They do a Texas night & sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas." If you were born & raised there, you'd know why they/we say... TEXAS, IT'S A WHOLE OTHER COUNTRY! :D Woo-hoo, yee-hah, whoop, whoop!

LOL - Good post jimkat:D

We do PC so have not experienced the singing or other dinner entertainment. As for the uniforms, I do not mind the Red, White, and Blue night. I do mind the Italian night where they wear the red/white or green/white sailing shirts. These "t-shirt" like tops are tight fitting. They look so much more professional in button tops that are a little loose. And they do not look too happy to be wearing them.

Archived