to stay or not to stay is my question

I drive to the ports in FL but the only way I would EVER consider flying in the day of the cruise is on the earliest flight possible and ONLY if booked directly through RCI.

I know thousands of people do it weekly without problem but my stress level and blood pressure would be off the chart.

We have made 5 cruises...3 out of San Juan and 2 out of Galveston and have always flown out of Pittsburgh in the winter on the day of the cruise with no problems and no stress. Maybe we have just been lucky but since we always have Royal Caribbean handle the air arrangements and we take their insurance the ball is in their court to get us there or if the sailing is missed, meet the ship at it's first port. Do it right and there is no reason to work yourself into a ball of sweat over meeting the ship.

We live well within driving distance of Galveston, however we still go the day before.

Our very first Rhapsody cruise out of Galveston (many, many moons ago) we were almost to Galveston when there was a fatal accident on the causeway over to the island. Traffic came to a dead stop for more than two hours. Our 4 hour drive quickly turned in to a more than 6 hour drive... and if that had been departure day, we definitely would have missed the ship.

I just figure hotel and day before travel part of the cruise expense now.

Ann

We flew in the day of ONCE and it was the last time. We were the last ones on the ship and they literally closed the doors right behind us.

The other thing is the people that fly in the day of are so tired. The first night at the show it seems like there is not as man people there because they turn in early. Just my observation.

If you do fly in the day of you might want to look into insurance but then if you are paying for insurance you could be paying for a hotel room. Just thoughts.

Archived