to stay or not to stay is my question

I'd fly down ahead- it's hurricane season and even tropical storms or thunder storms in the Carolina's can hold things up. Plus, with the whole sequester cuts, you can expect air traffic and security delays and cancellations; I know it's a long way off, but there is no guarantee those funds are ever coming back.

Unless I lived in easy driving to the port I would always recommend flying down a day before. Weather aside there are too many other factors that could delay a flight and the stress for me just would not be worth it.

If you do decide to fly down on the day please take out insurance in case you don't make it for some reason.

I live 3 hours from the Port of New Orleans and 3 1/2 hours from the Port of Galveston and even I wouldn't drive in the day of the cruise, unless I am taking a group cruise and use one of their tour buses.

We never know when there will be a heavy fog that will make driving dangerous or a bad accident will close the interstate. For under $150 I can find a nice 4-star hotel to stay and wake up refresh ready for my cruise.

We have always flown down the morning of. It's never been winter so no worries there. Of course we have had to get up at 3:00am to so.

HOWEVER we will be flying down the night before for the first time in August. Mainly because we will be cruising with our daughter and her husband and two daughters. The little one will be 21 months old so we did not want to make it a long stressful day for her. We also will be buying diapers and wine when we get there so we don't have to pack it for the flight.

That being said we have always booked our flights thru the cruise line so we didn't have to worry about our flight being late.

Have a great trip

Day before. Even without snow, there's a lot that can go wrong, and I just don't want to start vacation stressing about being on time for boarding.

Always go a day early in the US and about 3 nights for Europe.

We were delayed for about 3-4 hr in SFO for a loose Pilot Seat!!

Another time, for a tail light burnt out,

Another, for a row of lose seats in the plane that passengers were to sit in. The repair men came on while everyone was seated.

Another, was replacement of a cushion, took a long time while on the plane seated.

Delay for Baggage to be removed from the plane, for a passengers not arrived to board at the gate.

There are any number of reasons for a delay. Also, in the US ports you need to board 90 min. before departure as well.

We live 4-5 hours away by car and drive down the day before. My business partner tried to fly same day for an Alaskan cruise the same day booked through the cruise line, never made it. Finally caught up with the ship 3 days late.

Even when there are no mechanical or weather or security or other problems that keep your plane from taking off on time, there is no assurance of when you will arrive at your destination.

Years ago we used to think we were safe and could relax once our plane left the ground and we were up in the air.

Then we learned that is not always true after our flight got diverted when another passenger had a medical emergency.

They may also divert your flight for a major problem with a disruptive passenger, or a number of other reasons.

If you are checking luggage, there is also the chance that your checked luggage may not make it on the same flight with you, (something we have experienced a number of times through the years).

Yes, the odds are in your favor so most likely you will make it with no problem if you fly in on the day of the cruise.

How much risk you are willing to take just depends on how much of a gambler you are.

This is a question for the more experienced cruiser. We are going on a cruise in October. My husband wants to just to fly down early that day but I am not sure. Our last two cruises were in the winter so we did fly down before hand because of worry of a snow storm and delays. October we are not going to have to worry about that. The snow anyways. Does anyone else fly down to Florida the morning of their cruise? There are plenty of flights that leave at 6 or 7 am to choose from. Would like to save the extra cost and hassle of staying in a hotel for one night.

Can you even get an early morning non-stop flight to MCO?

If you have a stop and/or change of planes, that just increases the probability of delays and problems.

And MCO is farther from the port than most airport-cruiseport differences.

It's a 45 minute drive on a GOOD day. Usually it is more like an hour, and that is just the driving time.

How were you planning on getting from airport to cruiseport? Picking up and dropping off a rental car takes time. Shuttles: you have to wait for them, and if it is a shared ride, wait for them to pick up and drop off others.

If you are using a private car service, it cuts down on that problem.

Our first cruise in 2009 was in October as well. Having never cruised before and not really knowing what we were doing we flew out of JFK the day of. We were sitting at the gate for a 7am flight and they announce the plane was delayed. But luckily we made it in plenty of time. But it was a nail biter. I told my husband from then on if we cruise out of anywhere besides NY we will go down a day or two ahead. We did last year for our cruise out of Port Canaveral and it worked out so well. Relaxed at the hotel went to dinner and didn't worry about anything.

We sailed out of San Diego once and live 2.5 hours away, we still drove in the day before, partly to enjoy the pre crusie dinner but also to give ourselves extra time incase there was road delays due to an accident or car trouble. I knew of another incident where a couple flew in the day of the cruise only to have one luggage missing, the RCL rep went looking for both her DH & luggage, they made it just in time to board but she said never again.

Well, I have to agree with other posters to go the day early. Even though snow is not necessarily normal here in Michigan's UP in Oct. We both know that it can happen ........ high winds/heavy rain can also affect our small 50 passenger planes.

Don't like extra stress to start my vacation.

Have a great trip.

We always go at least 1 day early for all the reasons listed.

Another reason to go down the day before, is to fully enjoy your 1st day onboard. Every time we sail, we see people that look exhausted from early morning flights.

For what we pay to cruise, I don't want to lose several hours on the 1st night because I can't stay awake due to catching an early flight.

Jim

I used ChoiceAir and flew into San Juan from Orlando last time the day of the flight and it was fine. If I lived in NY I would probl. Not chance it. But if there are flights available and you do fly in the day of, then I would use ChoiceAir just in case because RCL will cover you if there is a problem.

Personally, I couldn't take the stress of flying in the same day. But, I know a lot of people do. That being said, I would save up the money for a hotel night. You can usually get a decent hotel for $100 or less.

+1

we always go the day before.

We live less than 30 minutes from the Port of Baltimore and drive there on the day of the cruise. We also have driven to Cape Liberty twice, leaving about 8 am and arriving between 12 noon and 1 pm. For any cruise we have had to fly, we fly in at least the day before. We have also flown in 2 days before for an Alaskan cruise to tour Vancouver pre-cruise, 2 days before a Mediterranean cruise to tout Barcelona pre-cruise and 2 days before a Southern Caribbean cruise to tour San Juan pre-cruise. Not everyone is able to take 2 extra days, but if flyinf, I would recommend flying a day before the cruise. So much less stress!

My husband and I just got back from our first cruise. I booked the first flight of the day to FLL for the day of the cruise. Then I found this website and started freaking out. Luckily everything worked out.

We both decided we will fly down the day before from now on for two reasons. One is potential problems with flights but also how tired we were that first day. Neither of us slept well the night before due to excitement and the stress of traveling. We fell asleep at 9pm the first night of the cruise and missed out on some fun activities.

In October 2011, the snowstorm another poster mentioned in the NE, caused problems in Florida with flights, both landing and taking off because of winds and torrential rains. Our flight leaving was over 2 hours late as the incoming flight couldn't land. They actually landed in Orlando to wait out the storm in FLL. Imagine sitting on that plane trying to get to FLL to leave on a cruise! So close, but so far... My SIL always flies in the day of the cruise and has never had a problem. I prefer the day before and start my vacation a day earlier.

Another thing to keep in mind as the Sequester is looming and many positions will be cut, there will be longer lines at ariports and if they cut air traffic controllers who knows what that might do to flights. Just make sure if you do fly in day of (or anytime for that matter) to give yourself the extra time to get through security that may be backed up so as not to miss your flight. They may come to an agreement on this before the lay offs actually happen but you don't know that if you are booking flights for summer cruises...

Same thing for customs. I don't know if you fly here from Canada if you have to go through customs on this side before you can head to the port but those lines may also be backed up.

Actually an hour and forty five minutes away, but depending on time of year, traffic accidents(other peoples), flat tires, fog, rain, hurricanes, etc. It is really nice to book a nice hotel near the port, and have some relaxing time with another day of vacation.

Buy trip insurance for sure if traveling on airlines on same day as departure.

Archived