GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

Thank you so much for doing this review. I had a great time reading, and

the photos are gorgeous.

As a fellow solo traveler, I cheered when I read your comments. I can't

tell you how many times I heard "Are you alone? Why?"

Now my response is "Yes! Why not?"

I'm glad you had a blast, I enjoyed every moment. Your writing style and

pics made me want more.

Gotta go now, I have to read another of your reviews. Thanks again for all

your hard work.

p.s...Solo cruising rocks.

Thanks Lady Mac! Indeed, solo cruising ROCKS! Hopefully others won't be so afraid to give it a try now. Thanks for reading! :)

Ok...now we have to wait for the Breeze review. Thanks for the tons of research, pictures and highlights. It is always good to see a solo cruiser living it up and doing what they love. Cruising for the adventure it is. Thanks again. Let the adventures continue:D

Ok...now we have to wait for the Breeze review. Thanks for the tons of research, pictures and highlights. It is always good to see a solo cruiser living it up and doing what they love. Cruising for the adventure it is. Thanks again. Let the adventures continue:D

Thanks a lot! Now I must get back to reading every Breeze review out there. I only have 6 months left to plan! :D

I am booked in 9201 (Scenic Ocean View) for my July cruise! I am so excited! Thanks for the pictures!

You're welcome! That room ROCKS! I wanna book one of those on a future cruise. Have a great time! :)

Hello all...I just returned from a Valor Cruise and I have to say it was the best one yet.... The itinerary, the weather, the crew, the food, the shows...all were awesome! Here's some of what I liked best....

San Juan.... We flew in and arrived at the dock around noon and were able to check in at that time. We thought we could go on board, drop off our carry on bags and then go out and do a little shopping and pick up some wine (at least that was what one crew member said. Well, we found out that while we could do that, we could not bring any alcohol back on with us. So get your wine before you check in! The cruise port area was very busy all afternoon with both cruise passengers and locals. It was fun just walking around Old San Juan. Once on board we made reservations for the Steakhouse for the first night and indeed were treated to a free bottle of wine. It was a delicious meal with great service. It was the first time we ate in the Steakhouse and decided to make reservations for later in the week also. Try it, you won't be disappointed. Another dining option during the cruise was the "Chef's Table" which we did Thursday night. It's an extra $75 per person but it's an experience you will never forget. You get a tour of the galley by the head ship Chef and then you get a 7 course gourmet meal in a private dining room with all the wine or champagne you can drink. It's a once in a lifetime dining experience and only about 12 people can be served. They only offered it twice during our cruise. Now here's what we did at the ports of call...

St Thomas - Went on the Carnival snorkeling shore excursion. We loved it....

Barbados - Hired a taxi and did an island tour. We loved it.....

St. Lucia - Went Ziplining...that we booked on our own with Treetop Adventures..We loved it....

St. Kitts - booked a rainforest hike with Greg Safaris... It was ok but an island tour with beach time would have been nicer...

St Marteen - Took the water taxi ($7) to downtown....and stayed on the beach and wandered around town most of the day.... We loved it....

We are also geocachers and grabbed caches on all the islands....

While we were on board we found the quality of the crew much improved over the last couple of cruises. The comedy shows were much better (there were 4 different comics), the stage shows were enjoyable and professional, the magic shows were quality, and the food was delicious. The one only downside was that the wait crew in the dining room was not as attentive as previous cruises. They were ok, but I think Carnival has cut back there a little and they seemed over worked trying to take care of too many cruisers.

Well that all for now and as I said before, we had an awesome time. This is a great itinerary and the Valor was a great ship.

Edited by stevegotl

Hi Overwhelming, welcome to Cruise Critic! Your best bet is to just scroll past all the comments. I don't believe there is a way to hide them. If CC does have that feature, I'm not aware of it. Thanks for reading! Are you taking this cruise soon?

We are going May 26th. Our first cruise with all of our family, 8 total, ages 21-53. Very excited but so much information to take on. Your review has been so helpful, Thanks!

Hello all...I just returned from a Valor Cruise and I have to say it was the best one yet.... The itinerary, the weather, the crew, the food, the shows...all were awesome! Here's some of what I liked best....

San Juan.... We flew in and arrived at the dock around noon and were able to check in at that time. We thought we could go on board, drop off our carry on bags and then go out and do a little shopping and pick up some wine (at least that was what one crew member said. Well, we found out that while we could do that, we could not bring any alcohol back on with us. So get your wine before you check in! The cruise port area was very busy all afternoon with both cruise passengers and locals. It was fun just walking around Old San Juan. Once on board we made reservations for the Steakhouse for the first night and indeed were treated to a free bottle of wine. It was a delicious meal with great service. It was the first time we ate in the Steakhouse and decided to make reservations for later in the week also. Try it, you won't be disappointed. Another dining option during the cruise was the "Chef's Table" which we did Thursday night. It's an extra $75 per person but it's an experience you will never forget. You get a tour of the galley by the head ship Chef and then you get a 7 course gourmet meal in a private dining room with all the wine or champagne you can drink. It's a once in a lifetime dining experience and only about 12 people can be served. They only offered it twice during our cruise. Now here's what we did at the ports of call...

St Thomas - Went on the Carnival snorkeling shore excursion. We loved it....

Barbados - Hired a taxi and did an island tour. We loved it.....

St. Lucia - Went Ziplining...that we booked on our own with Treetop Adventures..We loved it....

St. Kitts - booked a rainforest hike with Greg Safaris... It was ok but an island tour with beach time would have been nicer...

St Marteen - Took the water taxi ($7) to downtown....and stayed on the beach and wandered around town most of the day.... We loved it....

We are also geocachers and grabbed caches on all the islands....

While we were on board we found the quality of the crew much improved over the last couple of cruises. The comedy shows were much better (there were 4 different comics), the stage shows were enjoyable and professional, the magic shows were quality, and the food was delicious. The one only downside was that the wait crew in the dining room was not as attentive as previous cruises. They were ok, but I think Carnival has cut back there a little and they seemed over worked trying to take care of too many cruisers.

Well that all for now and as I said before, we had an awesome time. This is a great itinerary and the Valor was a great ship.

Sounds like you had a good trip! :D

We are going May 26th. Our first cruise with all of our family, 8 total, ages 21-53. Very excited but so much information to take on. Your review has been so helpful, Thanks!

You're welcome! Have a great time! :D

I finally had some time to fully read your very detailed review! Awesome job and makes me even more excited to sail on the Valor again. I'm sharing some of your information with my group from DC Metro area, NY and Boston. This will help the new cruisers in our group immensely. Although my next cruise after the Valor is a Disney Cruise, I'm looking forward to your review on the Breeze!!

I finally had some time to fully read your very detailed review! Awesome job and makes me even more excited to sail on the Valor again. I'm sharing some of your information with my group from DC Metro area, NY and Boston. This will help the new cruisers in our group immensely. Although my next cruise after the Valor is a Disney Cruise, I'm looking forward to your review on the Breeze!!

Thanks a lot! You all are going to have a great time! :D

No lobster night on this cruise?

Yes, there was a lobster night. I believe it was day 3 the first formal night. I don't eat seafood, which is why there's no lobster picture. :o

Once on board we made reservations for the Steakhouse for the first night and indeed were treated to a free bottle of wine. It was a delicious meal with great service.{...} Try it, you won't be disappointed. Another dining option during the cruise was the "Chef's Table" {...} you get a 7 course gourmet meal in a private dining room with all the wine or champagne you can drink.{...} Now here's what we did at the ports of call...

I may have to try the Steakhouse; I'm not a steak and potatoes person, so I was never interested in it because it would seem that would be the thing they specialized in. But I'm told they have seafood for me. So I may do it.

I wonder if the same chef from Victory was the chef on Valor and if the same menu was used. I enjoyed the Chef's Table immensely. I told the chef he had to come home with me because I enjoyed a tomato dish and hate tomatoes!!!!

I love Treetop Adventures; the staff is awesome and the zipline was fun. I did the Triple Adventure with them (jeep safari, zipline, and waterfall hike). They were running a special and I paid $79 for all 3.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Wow! Thanks for the quick response! Your review is awesome! I just started using CC a few days ago. I'll be boarding the Valor on Sunday, so you've been a blessing :)

Thanks for being so detailed!

You're welcome! Welcome to cruise critic! You should go over to your roll call and say hi to other cruisers also on your sailing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1619489

HAVE FUN SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!! :D

I may have to try the Steakhouse; I'm not a steak and potatoes person' date=' so I was never interested in it because it would seem that would be the thing they specialized in. But I'm told they have seafood for me. So I may do it.

I wonder if the same chef from Victory was the chef on Valor and if the same menu was used. I enjoyed the Chef's Table immensely. I told the chef he had to come home with me because I enjoyed a tomato dish and hate tomatoes!!!!

I love Treetop Adventures; the staff is awesome and the zipline was fun. I did the Triple Adventure with them (jeep safari, zipline, and waterfall hike). They were running a special and I paid $79 for all 3.

Thanks for sharing your review.[/quote']

Hey girl! I see you're still around. :p

Hey girl! I see you're still around. :p

Hey chica!!!!!!!!! (Waving vigorously). Yep, I'm still hanging in here. I've already figured out something else to do while in St. Maarten just from reading your review. :D And you have me considering getting off the ship in Barbados.

I may see if my friend from the ship is working the week I'm on and have him show me some sights in Barbados since he's from there. I just don't want to let him know I'll be on the ship because I don't want him taking off thinking that he's going to tag along with me. :p But if he's working, he may not be able to get off the ship. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Hey chica!!!!!!!!! (Waving vigorously). Yep' date=' I'm still hanging in here. I've already figured out something else to do while in St. Maarten just from reading your review. :D And you have me considering getting off the ship in Barbados.

I may see if my friend from the ship is working the week I'm on and have him show me some sights in Barbados since he's from there. I just don't want to let him know I'll be on the ship because I don't want him taking off thinking that he's going to tag along with me. :p But if he's working, he may not be able to get off the ship. Oh well. :rolleyes:[/quote']

What are you going to do in St. Maarten now? You should definitely get off the ship in Barbados. Go hang out at The Boatyard and enjoy a fun beach day and cheap rum punch. :D Hopefully you and your friend will be able to hang out a little. What does he do onboard?

GAPEARL,

Thanks for a GREAT REVIEW with pictures. We have done this itinerary three times, the last in March of 2010 on Victory and

you brought back a lot of memories and reminders.

We are cruising on the Breeze in April on a B2B and are now considering a October cruise out of San Juan on the Valor.

We sailed on the Valor in November of 2006 on an Exotic Western

Caribbean. Your review of the ship gave us much to compare as to when we sailed on her.

Again, thank you very much for your review, and as others have said, we are hooked on your reviews regardless of when or where you may go. keep up the good work

Dave

What are you going to do in St. Maarten now? You should definitely get off the ship in Barbados. Go hang out at The Boatyard and enjoy a fun beach day and cheap rum punch. :D Hopefully you and your friend will be able to hang out a little. What does he do onboard?

I'm still going to head to Marigot to buy several bars of a soap I discovered that last time I was there, but now I'm going to take the water taxi over to Anguilla and do a land tour. I'm still researching....I have a little time to do something.

As for Barbados, yeah, I may have to check out the Boatyard. And my friend is a server on the ship.

GAPEARL,

Thanks for a GREAT REVIEW with pictures. We have done this itinerary three times, the last in March of 2010 on Victory and

you brought back a lot of memories and reminders.

We are cruising on the Breeze in April on a B2B and are now considering a October cruise out of San Juan on the Valor.

We sailed on the Valor in November of 2006 on an Exotic Western

Caribbean. Your review of the ship gave us much to compare as to when we sailed on her.

Again, thank you very much for your review, and as others have said, we are hooked on your reviews regardless of when or where you may go. keep up the good work

Dave

Thanks for all the nice words Dave! I hope you get that October cruise booked. You already know how awesome the itinerary is (minus Dominica, which you probably had the chance to visit before they took it off). I hope you bring back a Breeze review. I'm hooked reading all of them now! Have fun next month! :)

Thanks for a fabulous review and excellent photos. You were rockin your evening wear on the ship and have a great sense of style!

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for reading! :)

I'm still going to head to Marigot to buy several bars of a soap I discovered that last time I was there' date=' but now I'm going to take the water taxi over to Anguilla and do a land tour. I'm still researching....I have a little time to do something.

As for Barbados, yeah, I may have to check out the Boatyard. And my friend is a server on the ship.[/quote']

Please come back with another review! I'd love to hear about your time in Anguilla. Don't forget a bottle of the guavaberry rum! ;)

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us :)

I will be booking three cabins for the 1/12/14 trip any day now. Your suggestions have given me a great headstart on planning!!

Awesome! Thanks for reading and good luck with the planning! :D

I was brought over here through the solo boards and I'm so glad I did!

I'm also a solo cruiser and will be embarking on my next one in September from San Juan. This was an excellent review and you did a great job. All your outfits were great! Makes me want to start a cruise shopping fund LOL

Just a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. I'm going to San Juan a couple days early and would definitely like to check out the night spots like you did. Did you feel uncomfortable heading back to your hotel at that time of night? My hotel is right in OSJ as well, but I'm wondering how safe the streets are at 2,3am. The fact that your hotel was actually attached to a nightspot has me considering switching my hotel plans ... Now looking at it, Da House is considerably cheaper than what I have.

Also, for the tours that you went on, did you just join a public group or did they cater to you as a solo traveler? I'm also thinking of taking the ferry over to Anguilla since I've been to St Maarten before.

Thanks again for a wonderful review!!

I was brought over here through the solo boards and I'm so glad I did!

I'm also a solo cruiser and will be embarking on my next one in September from San Juan. This was an excellent review and you did a great job. All your outfits were great! Makes me want to start a cruise shopping fund LOL

Just a couple questions for you, if you don't mind. I'm going to San Juan a couple days early and would definitely like to check out the night spots like you did. Did you feel uncomfortable heading back to your hotel at that time of night? My hotel is right in OSJ as well, but I'm wondering how safe the streets are at 2,3am. The fact that your hotel was actually attached to a nightspot has me considering switching my hotel plans ... Now looking at it, Da House is considerably cheaper than what I have.

Also, for the tours that you went on, did you just join a public group or did they cater to you as a solo traveler? I'm also thinking of taking the ferry over to Anguilla since I've been to St Maarten before.

Thanks again for a wonderful review!!

I'm glad you found your way here! :)

It's never too early to start shopping for cruise clothes. I'm already on the lookout for my next cruise wardrobe. LOL

I never felt unsafe walking through Old San Juan at night. There are always a lot of people out, and lots of police out as well. Of course, use your best judgment and stay on the lit streets. Don't walk down the back alleys. If you do feel unsafe at any point, a taxi won't be more than a few dollars back to your hotel, and they are everywhere. Da House would be a great place for you to stay. It's right in the middle of everything. The salsa club is right downstairs and the bars are a quick 5 minute walk. You'd like it.

The only thing about booking a tour as a solo traveler is that you might have to wait until others have booked as well. Some tours require a minimum number of people, like 4 or 5. My tour in St. Kitts started with just me, and the owner emailed me about 2 weeks after I booked to let me know someone else booked for the same day and she had her minimum. The snorkel tour I booked on the spot at the beach in Barbados was fine with taking just me out, even though I was willing to wait for others. If you wait until you get to port to find a tour operator, they're usually everywhere and you won't have a problem joining one. Anguilla sounds like a great idea. If I visit St. Maarten again, that's probably what I would do.

Have fun on your cruise! :D

Not hard to at all! Have fun on your upcoming Valor cruise. :D

Ms. Pearl... I know you are probably tired of answering all these questions... but I have one... I have the Late Dining... and I'm starting to think I might need to change it.... I wouldn't want to be late to like any comedy shows or late night entertainment... Since I am doing excursions on all the ports... should I leave it or change it to 6PM or anytime?