Debarkation Question

Spanky My

Once again the airlines has changed our flight time this will be (3) times now. We are on the freedom and flying out Fort Lauderdale.

So the question is to wiley veterans, NOW our flight out is at 10:20 AM . Is that cutting it to close? We have FttF but still concerned now that they shortened our time out to fly.

What would be the general concensus never having been to Ft Lauderdale ,the port or the Airport? Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your response....

The good news is that the airport and the seaport are very close together, and traffic probably won't be as bad as it could be in some port cities. You definitely want to make sure you're one of the first off the ship, and you need to know your game plan for getting to the airport before you disembark (i.e., taxi). If there is no/light traffic, you should be able to get to the airport in 10-15 minutes. Are you going to cut it close? Yes, probably closer than I would like, but I think you should be fine.

I would let the airline know that your new flight time will not work and re-book on a flight leaving at noon or later.

10:20 is not impossible, but it will be very close. Do you want to spend your cruise worried about your flight home? :confused:

If you carry your bags off, have a low priority number and are ready to go as soon as customs clears the ship in FLL, you should be able to make it, though it will be close. My concern is the possibility of long lines at the TSA checkpoint due to the current financial issues. I am guessing the sequester is why the airline is changing the flight.

I personally think that's way too close a connection. If ANYTHING goes wrong you won't make your flight. If it were me, I would call the airline and let them know their new time doesn't work with your cruise schedule, and they will have to reschedule you to a later flight. It's true that the airport isn't far from the cruise port, but for a 10:20 flight you would need to be at the airport by 8:20, and I wouldn't take the chance myself. I would be way too stressed out.

I decided to Book a 1:55 Pm Flight which gets us back home much later to the west coast. I would like to post" U.S. Air is a joke" and I encourage others to avoid them as this merger with American Airlines continues!

But Thanks to all who responded.

I would change the flight if it were me. A few years ago I got notice of a flight change for 8:30 am on the return day. I called the airline or booking company (can't remember which it was) and told them it had to be changed, since I was coming off a cruise that wasn't officially even due in until 8am. When they tried to tell me I was going to be charged for the change, I said no, it was the airline's change, not mine. They conceded and didn't charge me for the change.

TSA at FLL are the worst. They just don't care. Our last two cruises out of FLL it took over an hour to get through security.

Check in online on the ship, print your boarding passes, walk off with your bags, ignore priority numbers, do the OJ thru the cruise terminal, flash a $50 at the nearest cabbie.

Good luck!

I decided to Book a 1:55 Pm Flight which gets us back home much later to the west coast. I would like to post" U.S. Air is a joke" and I encourage others to avoid them as this merger with American Airlines continues!

Good choice! Now you have a lot less to worry about while enjoying your cruise! :)

Archived