Cruising on the Valor with baby/toddler: Let me in on your tips/tricks/secrets etc.

ShanteS

I have done 3 Carnival cruises with my son at 9mo, 15mo, and 2 years old. The most important piece of advice I can give you is to pack any and all medications you may think you need: Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, etc. and to bring twice as many diapers and wipes you normally use. They don't sell this stuff on the ships and I would not want to buy infant medicine in a foreign port. My son got bad diarrhea once and went through diapers like crazy-was so glad I brought a lot! Also try and bring some powdered pedialyte and maybe some small containers of prunes for constipation. Don't waste the space packing toys-there will be plenty to keep them occupied on the ship. Don't bother with the blow up pool unless you have a balcony. Carnival does offer for-free drop off for under 2's for 2 hours on sea days and 4 hours on port days. I took advantage of this and felt like he received good care. Have fun-I want to do the Southern itinerary but can't stand the thought of flying that far with a toddler (he doesn't watch movies and just wants to go, go, go)!

Great idea of keeping something new for going and returning flights. I'll definitely do that and see if I can borrow someones portable dvd player. Thanks for replying!

Great ideas!! Exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you for replying.

You're very welcome. I'll try to remember to reply again after we get back from our cruise next month to share any new tips.

Does she take a bottle? If she takes milk in a bottle you can take carton off the buffet and keep it in your room fridge. When you need to warm it you can float the carton in hot water in the bathroom sink (the water gets really hot) and it will warm quickly then you can pour it in your bottle.

Bring extra diapers just in case.

Bring toys and books. There will be down time where you want your child amused. This may include the dining room. Our daughter was kept happy and busy looking at her favorite books in the dining room.

We do port events that avoid a carseat - use shuttles or walk. We find the carseat a pain to bring.

We just have our toddlers shower. They love to dance around in the shower and we stand outside the shower helping (doing the shampoo, etc). It works fine. If they're swimming at all that helps rinse them off too. You never know she may toilet train by then if you're lucky and have a young trainer.

I don't know if that ship has splashworks but if it does she can use that in a swimming diaper. Some people still use the pool with a child that is really reliable with bowel habits and just use a swimming diaper just in case.

As others said bring meds you may need as they're hard to find there sometimes.

I always bring several tealight candles (the fake battery ones). I like them in the room to see at night and in the bathroom so we don't have to flick the big light and loud fan on at night when someone needs to pee.

We were on the fence about bringing a stroller last time with our just 2 year old and I'm so glad we brought it. She sat in it at the airport when we needed to focus on checking in, etc. Also we used it in port for walking around and sometimes for walking around the ship. When she was a baby we brought our larger evenflo one (holds the car seat) and it was too wide to fit through the doorway which was a pain. This time we brought a narrower one and it was perfect. Bulky strollers are hard to tuck away in the room so aim for a comfortable one with all the features you like but that is more compact.

Bring reusable water bottles for port. Fill them up on the ship with ice and water before going off the ship. Then you'll always have a cold, safe drink for baby.

Bring a backpack for port so you can easily carry your water, sunscreen, hat, towels, etc.

I hope this helps. I have 4 kids so I'm getting this down to a science as I go.

• 2 weeks later...
You're very welcome. I'll try to remember to reply again after we get back from our cruise next month to share any new tips.

Great! I'll look forward to it.

Does she take a bottle? If she takes milk in a bottle you can take carton off the buffet and keep it in your room fridge. When you need to warm it you can float the carton in hot water in the bathroom sink (the water gets really hot) and it will warm quickly then you can pour it in your bottle.

Bring extra diapers just in case.

Bring toys and books. There will be down time where you want your child amused. This may include the dining room. Our daughter was kept happy and busy looking at her favorite books in the dining room.

We do port events that avoid a carseat - use shuttles or walk. We find the carseat a pain to bring.

We just have our toddlers shower. They love to dance around in the shower and we stand outside the shower helping (doing the shampoo, etc). It works fine. If they're swimming at all that helps rinse them off too. You never know she may toilet train by then if you're lucky and have a young trainer.

I don't know if that ship has splashworks but if it does she can use that in a swimming diaper. Some people still use the pool with a child that is really reliable with bowel habits and just use a swimming diaper just in case.

As others said bring meds you may need as they're hard to find there sometimes.

I always bring several tealight candles (the fake battery ones). I like them in the room to see at night and in the bathroom so we don't have to flick the big light and loud fan on at night when someone needs to pee.

We were on the fence about bringing a stroller last time with our just 2 year old and I'm so glad we brought it. She sat in it at the airport when we needed to focus on checking in, etc. Also we used it in port for walking around and sometimes for walking around the ship. When she was a baby we brought our larger evenflo one (holds the car seat) and it was too wide to fit through the doorway which was a pain. This time we brought a narrower one and it was perfect. Bulky strollers are hard to tuck away in the room so aim for a comfortable one with all the features you like but that is more compact.

Bring reusable water bottles for port. Fill them up on the ship with ice and water before going off the ship. Then you'll always have a cold, safe drink for baby.

Bring a backpack for port so you can easily carry your water, sunscreen, hat, towels, etc.

I hope this helps. I have 4 kids so I'm getting this down to a science as I go.

Thank you so much! Lots of helpful tips.

• 2 months later...

We have two children ages 7 & 6 and the oldest started at 11 monhts, Herare a bunch of random thoughts and since it is been six years since we took our youngest I may be off a little on the times and if things are relevant.

Things to bring:

toddler size silverware

sippy cups / no spill cups

stroller (not a cheap umbrella one but a medium size one, as much to carry your stuff as the child)

toys/books (not allot just to keep them a little busy, take nothing you would be afraid of not comming back)

medicene

list of immunications or medical records

hat

we brought our own little life jacket for him.

Fun facts:

Diapers: we packed just enough diapers to get to the port city, we then arranged for a stop at a grocery/walmart/target and bought the diaper, pedialite, etc so we did not have to pack and schlep it on the airplane.

Go and get a state id card for your child. It's about $10 at the license branch. It is a great piece of id incease anything would happen.

Be sure to bring a letter from the childs other parent that lets you take the child out of the country.

We had a crib in the room and liked it, there are a limited # so go ahead and contact Carnival now. We also used the couch as a bed. It depends on how mobile your little one is.

Some of the shore exucsions take smaller chidren at no charge. We went swimming with the stingrays when our son was 11 months. They did not charge for him and we just tipped a little extra.

Sippy cups and kid size silverware is a must, makes life much easier. Be sure to get a little soap when you are getting your diapers so you can wash everything out.

Naps will be key, a nap in the middle of the afternoon can make the day go so much better.

Be prepared for meals to take twice as long. We found that allot of the staff love small kids and the kids love the staff as well. There is just no rushing anywhere. If you find some great staff, which I am sure that you will. Always sit in that area, they will help you during the week.

If you just go with the flow you will have a great cruise. Take lots of phots as we now go back and show the kids wht they did on vacation.

We took our first cruise with our kids when they were two and 9 months. I never found an inflatable tub, so my husband held the kids and I washed them in the shower. It wasn't particularly fun for them, but it got it done. Ditto the others on bringing every imaginable medicine and tons of diapers and wipes. I also made little goodie bags of toys for dinner time so that we could enjoy our meals. I wanted to make sure they weren't overstimulated, so I made sure we got back to our cabins for nap time.

The staff LOVE little kids and go out of their way to talk to them... many told us about the kids they have at home that they hadn't seen in months. After the first night, we had cheerios, bananas, and chicken nuggets waiting for us at dinner. I wouldn't have any issues taking a little one again, just know that you won't have as much "me" time. My kids are sailing on their third cruise on the 20th!

• 1 year later...

We are on the Valor with our 18 month old this October. We're trying to plan our port activities. Would you mind sharing any tips of what you did? I was thinking the butterfly farm, le gallion beach, the boatyard so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did all beach activities. Bought a pop up tent to keep her in the shade. Went to boatyard, which was fun, on St Kitts we went to the beach at the Marriott, they have large palaypas for shade ( we purchased a day pass $35/per adult, but I think that if you walk thru the lobby that you could probably just walk out to the beach. In St thomas we went to Sapphire beach and in St marten we walked off the boat to the left to the beach that you can see from the boat. Bucket of beer there were very inexpensive.

We travelled as a large group so one day 6 of us did a turtle excurion in Barbados, while parents of baby went to boatyard. On st. Lucia, I (grandma) stayed on the boat and walked around with baby in stroller, playing in the cabin, etc, while the rest of the group went kayaking.

Hope that helps.

Jean

We have flown with our daughter 4 different times already. (she will be 2 next week) and have never had an issue with her in flight at all. She usually takes a nap for part of the flight, and when she's awake just have a couple of favorite toys or a book or iPad or something to keep her entertained.

Def bring some small snacks, and a sippy cup! Drinking from a sippy cup will help her ears pop. Uncomfortable ear pressure is often what makes babies cry in flight.

• 1 month later...

Everyone's posts have helped a lot!! Does anyone else who has been on the Valor have ideas for port activities? Our son will be 18 months for our Oct cruise :). I'd like to switch up the beach with other activities as well.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app