Largest suite on the Zuiderdam??

DLepard

I am cruising next week and have a VA (i believe that is the veranda room one step below a suite) and my companion's friends have booked the biggest suite. I am curious what to expect when we visit them... Any input?

Expect very nice digs! The penthouse suites have a bedroom with 1 king-size bed, oversize whirlpool bath & shower & additional shower stall, living room, dining room, dressing room, whirlpool on the verandah, pantry, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, microwave, refrigerator, guest toilet, stereo system, electrically-operated curtains, and have access to the Neptune Lounge with its concierge. At over 1300 sq. ft., they are very nice.

The VA cabins are the highest category next to the suites, but a few notches below the PH. The S and SS cabins are tucked in between. Many will argue that the SS is not a true suite. At any rate, they're very roomy.

The penthouse is a very nice and extremely large suite. It's more like a condo than a cabin on a cruise ship. There are only two on the whole ship.

The Cat. VA cabins are the highest category of cabin that's not a suite, but it's far from the penthouse. The S and SS suites are inbetween and make up the "suite" categories that aren't penthouses.

The Penthouse suites on the Vista class ships are not as luxurious as those on the R and S class ships and they aren't as big.

Been there and done that.

Huh???

The Vista Class PH's are listed at over 1300 s/f total as opposed to 1150 s/f total for the S and R-Class ships.

The PH verandahs on the Vistas are enourmous - running the full outside length of the suite and zig-zagging as they do around the bend in the ship offers great views aft - and include a private outdoor jacuzzi and built-in seating area - something that the S and R-Class PH's lack. Their location is closer to midships which would probably indicate a slightly smoother ride in rough seas.

Admittedly, I've never actually occupied one myself, but having toured the PH's on both Oosterdam and Amsterdam - I felt that the interiors were comparable in luxury and size.

BTW - Amsterdam is the only non-Vista to have 2 PH's - all S-Class & the other 3 R-Class ships have but one.

Thanks so much for the info! I look at the layout of our room and I am dumbfounded. My last cruises were on RCI and outside cabins without a veranda.... i cant wait to sit on the veranda. Cant wait to visit his friends... "cabin" hehe.... i looked at their floor plan too... I bet they can fit the whole band in there!! :)

Regarding PH's on the V-Class ships, the layout is completely different from S and R, so I feel it is difficult to compare. My only observation with the V-Class is that the verandah is exposed to public view from other cabins more than are the verandahs on the other Class ships. That said, IMO, any PH on any HAL ship is a treat to be anticipated :).

While HAL does not have butler service for any suites (PH or S), we have found that the Neptune Lounge can provide most of the services that a butler would perform. On most of our cruises, the services of the Neptune and Concierge (combined with a very efficient cabin steward) have acutally been better than on some ships where we had a butler.

BTW - Amsterdam is the only non-Vista to have 2 PH's - all S-Class & the other 3 R-Class ships have but one.

bepsf -- You didn't mention the Rotterdam VI -- which has 4 PH's :) . (Sorry if I am going OT from the OP's question.)

Archived