Cabin Door Decorations

I generally decorate our door using my scrapbooking program to make up the background and lettering and add accent depending on the theme of the cruise. I print out on photo paper and place on the Avery magnetic sheets

Hmm, I like the idea of the Avery magnetic sheets.

You can buy a roll of magnet tape at the craft store (like Michaels or AC Moore) for under $5. I cut off a strip and affix it to the back of the decorations. I bought a package of tropical themed cut-out decorations from Party City, and wrote our first names on some of the with a sharpie. I wrote our cabin # on the back. Never had a problem with them being stolen.

You can buy a roll of magnet tape at the craft store (like Michaels or AC Moore) for under $5. I cut off a strip and affix it to the back of the decorations. I bought a package of tropical themed cut-out decorations from Party City, and wrote our first names on some of the with a sharpie. I wrote our cabin # on the back. Never had a problem with them being stolen.

the thing I've tried that works best is similar to what DonnaK did...although I have used the putty as well...I have done the tropical themed cut-outs and have also found vinyl clings and the gel clings that work well...the clings can be found at dollar stores, so we are talking very inexpensive...I also (knock on wood) have not had problems with the decorations being stolen...I just think it is fun to decorate your door--especially for a holiday or special occasion

here are some samples of my decorated doors

805040117_ChristmasCruise2010004.jpg.07e4242b3ad8d50a4520add9adad8147.jpg

1676479613_cozumel2010010.jpg.bb944193edf4d50ccbdb208a2471cfd5.jpg

We put up a door sign with a magnet last cruise (Cruise Critic sign). The sign and the magnet were taken, as were multiple 'do not disturb' cards on the hallway. From the running feet we heard, suspect it was kids. Steward said he received multiple complaints from folks on our hall, but never did find the culprit(s).

So, decorate away-just know that sometimes 'stuff happens'.

Lol, I love those magnetic signs that you can use a dry erase marker on! You never know what may be written on it when you get back to your cabin. Hehe ;-)

I found these awesome INK JET MAGNET SHEETS made by AVERY at Staples or Office Max or one of those type of stores. It's like a sheet of paper, with a magnet backing. I make fun things on the computer and print them out....they stick to your stateroom door perfectly! There are 5 sheets to a package....plenty for door decorating :D

The part where the ending "Lonely Man" theme from the Hulk show plays, someone tells the story about how their great-grandmother made their door decorations from the tears of children in concentration camps and spun them into hope, dreams, and magic. How these decorations had been appraised at ten thousand dollars each, how they had been put on every door for the last 45 cruises they had been on, how these decorations actually cured the common cold, how children with debilitating illnesses would come to touch them and walk again, how the captain himself came down and thanked them for decorating their door...

and then someone came in the night and stole them! This ruined their cruise and made them loose faith in the whole of humanity! This one event shaped them into a hardened lump of coal and they will forever more be cursed to tell this tale as a way to warn others about the evils of mass market cruising. They will talk of the "good ol' days" when men wore tuxes to the pool and women never even wore white underwear after Labor Day! How a man with a hat on would be scolded to tears with just a glance from the ship's crew, how children sat awake at night fearing the Decorations Demon would steal their soul if they even THOUGHT about touching a door decoration, how cruising was for the Rothschilds, the Gettys, the Rockefellers, and them.

Read some of the old threads.

Bengal's fan's are known to over-react:D:p

I print up signs for everyday of the cruise and stick them on the door. Every morning I would change the sign and then take a picture and then I know what pictures go with which days.

This is a great idea! You could even write the day of the week on them, so it's like the floor of the elevator! lol

I love door decorations...except this summer on Freedom. We were in an aft suite and had a looong walk to the cabin. There was a HUGE family reunion of some sort, and they had cabins on BOTH the starboard and port sides. They also all had big wipe-off boards and other boards on thier doors. The messages were so disgusting..and I mean on 15-20 cabins - that this old gal was blushing.. I was horrified as my kids read them. Explicit drawings as well...which, after complaining to both the front desk and the teenage idiots writing them- I would erase as I walked the gauntlet. The families were warned to stop, but the teens ( ages 15-18 it seemed) were oblivious. I even applauded as a cute elderly woman on a motorized scooter read the riot act to one boy she saw writing the "really bad word' on the boards.

Finally the concierge called "someone' and the boards were gone for the last 2 nights.

Give me shamrocks, fishies and ducks any day!! I ALREADY know where babies come from, have taken my share of anatomy classes, and have read bathroom walls.

The crusie was great...but this thread just brought that memory back.

Sorry!!

This time RC will be decorating for us. I'm buying the birthday decorations for my mom's 69th birthday as a surprise, and from the pictures people have shown me, it includes decorations outside on the door as well as inside.

All the birthday doors I have seen, including some of ours, provided by RCL are just posters that say "get out there." You might to consider bringing some of your own to jazz it up a little.

On our last cruise, the cabin a few door from us had their door decorated.

With photos from previous cruises, etc. It made me cringe every time I walked past it.

Why do people thing that everyone wants to see their holiday photos?

Would have loved to set it alight!

Edited by wales4ever

I found some beach and tropical gel decorations at Dollartree. They are the new thing to use instead of clings. They're gel palm trees, crabs, bucket/shovel, parrot, flowers etc. I tried them on my fridge and they work great. If they get stolen, no big loss at $1 each set.:p

I found some beach and tropical gel decorations at Dollartree. They are the new thing to use instead of clings. They're gel palm trees, crabs, bucket/shovel, parrot, flowers etc. I tried them on my fridge and they work great. If they get stolen, no big loss at $1 each set.:p

Great minds think a like. We have 11 rooms for our upcoming company cruise. I have bought some gel decorations to experiment with before we leave. I know some people think door decorations are "cheesy" but it sure beats knocking on the wrong door or wasting time being lost. :)