Uh-oh-- I got my GTY cabin assignment!

Shelli

We're on the Dawn next month, and as we frequently do with excellent results, we booked an inside guarantee. I guess our good luck finally caught up with us, because we're in 8003, in the very (very!) front of the ship.

I guess I'd better stock up on Bonine! <sigh>

We're on the Dawn next month, and as we frequently do with excellent results, we booked an inside guarantee. I guess our good luck finally caught up with us, because we're in 8003, in the very (very!) front of the ship.

Is the front of the ship the worst motion?? Never been on a cruise before so we weren't sure. We booked a balcony towards the mid to back of ship.

Could be worse, you could be at the very back on a low deck and have your bones rattled for a week by the vibration of the engines.

FWIW I too have stayed in a porthole cabin on carnival. IIRC we were about 4 cabins back from the front - but far enough forward that the hallways angled back in to conform to the bow. We enjoyed it very much actually and found only slightly more motion than we were used to (we usually book a balcony on the highest deck we can). What we found more than the motion was

A) the sound of the bow thrusters when coming into port

B) occasionally you would hear a wave break against the hull. Like a big slap. But you get used to that too.

Go with an open mind and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're used to insides you'll probably enjoy the daylight from the porthole.

-Marc who keeps saying he's going to try an inside cabin but keeps chickening out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shelli: Don't worry too much about it. We always book the aft facing balconys which are suppose to be the worse area for motion. However, we have never noticed anything different. If the ship is rocking and rolling you will feel it in most areas of the ship. Look on the plus side, you are not near the supposed "haunted cabins" on the Dawn. :eek: Have a great cruise! :)

If you really want to change you should call your TA or NCL if booked direct. Ask if there is another available cabin in the same category that you can be moved to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!

That happened to us too on our NCL cruise last year. Although NCL would not move our cabin in the same category, they did offer us an upgrade for only $10 per person. We happily grabbed that immediately! We got moved two decks up, mid-ship. Pretty darn good for $20 total.

It definitely never hurts to give them or your TA a call.

That happened to us too on our NCL cruise last year. Although NCL would not move our cabin in the same category, they did offer us an upgrade for only $10 per person. We happily grabbed that immediately! We got moved two decks up, mid-ship. Pretty darn good for $20 total.

It definitely never hurts to give them or your TA a call.

That was a good deal and worth checking into! :D

Try the sea bands. I get motion sickness from riding in a car to swinging on a swing. The bads are available at some walamrts and cvs stores. I use them on every cruise and never had a problem. Even during a hurricane and a low depretion.

We got our Guarantee assignment too. Other end 8667 Got to love the gamble that comes with the cheaper price we pay !! ;)

I have an email in to my TA, begging for her assistance! She's always been pretty good, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks, everyone, for all the encouraging comments.

I bought an upgrade on my 12 day. Went from an IX to an OX for sixty bucks.

Shelli: Don't worry too much about it. We always book the aft facing balconys which are suppose to be the worse area for motion. However, we have never noticed anything different. If the ship is rocking and rolling you will feel it in most areas of the ship. Look on the plus side, you are not near the supposed "haunted cabins" on the Dawn. :eek: Have a great cruise! :)

Haunted ?! Which one(s) ? This will be my first time on the Dawn...

Chance we take. Sometimes the bull wins :rolleyes:

Look at it this way, you are still going to cruise! That's the chances you take with an upgrade. Hopefully, you will have a great time still.

To the other questions that were posted. Midship, middle of the ship is supposed to be the best for motion sickness. Avoid the very forward or very aft and very high decks.

Yes, supposedly the Dawn is haunted. Freaked me out when we got our guarantee and we were a few doors down from Nurse Mindy's cabin. Also, sailed on Friday the 13th an our confirmation number contained three 6s. Just decided that I was silly and needed to change my line of thinking. We had a great cruise. Several threads about all of this on Cruise Critic.

I never really thought of their being too much motion at the front of the ship. Though only time I have been at the front was on the Star in a suite, wouldn't imagine the suites being placed in the front if people avoided booking them due to movement. On the pearl I think we were an inside cabin, but were just a few cabins down from being at the front.

I just loved my aft balcony! Sure there was motion when we had higher seas but that was felt all over the ship. They say that the lowest midship cabin has the least motion.

As for a guarantee, they are usually cheaper but you take a giant risk being assigned a cabin in a location that is not to your liking. If it really matters where your cabin is then you pay a higher price to be able to pick it. It is "Let the buyer beware" with guarantees.

I feel that it is just not right when someone complains about the cabin they are assigned, when they know upfront at booking, that they might end up somewhere less desirable. They are paying a lower rate and are usually hoping for an upgrade.

From what I have read on these forums most people do not care where they may be assigned because they are not in their cabin very much. With a guarantee they may be above a nightclub or other noisy area, or are below a deck where chairs and tables get moved above them at all hours.

I think it depends on the seas

I have to agree, on the Jewel I was forward in the first non-hull or Cove Balcony and we were fine except when those bow thrustors came on when I was sleeping :D

Also aft facing suite on the Star, we did not have any real issues, felt some movement like steadying yourself when standing but nothing serious.

Agree all depends on the sea state, now my trip during Hurricane Sandy whole other story...

My travel agent got us moved-- we're now on Deck 4, not as "good" as Deck 8, but more stable, and also behind the forward elevators. The cabin we were originally assigned is way forward of the forward elevators!

I don't have a problem with motion myself, but my husband has inner ear problems and suffers from motion sickness when seas get rough. He takes meclizine (Bonine) daily, and a 2nd pill if things get a bit rough, and that usually does the trick... but you never know. I've seen him bad, and green is NOT a good color for him! LOL

Like I said, I usually do well with gty upgrades-- once I even got upgraded from an inside to a balcony! That happened on Carnival, not NCL, and my TA had intervened as well that time. Last cruise (NCL), we went from obstructed to picture window with our gty. So I'm still a fan!

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Archived