Aix DIY, will we have enough time?

vn123

We'll be in Marseille from 7-4 in June. Based on the information from this board, we plan to take the ship shuttle (Carnival) to the old port. Then from there either walk or take the metro to St Charles station and then take the bus/train to Aix. On the way back, we want to hang around the old port area before heading back to the ship. We'll try to get off the ship in the morning ASAP. Do you think we can make it back in time?

TIA

Yep, you can do it with an early start. You will want to consider getting back to Marseille no later then 2:30 which gives you an hour leeway. But this will still give you a few hours in Aix.

Hank

Hank. Thanks for the info. We are on HAL this summer. A few questions.

How long is the shuttle ride from the ship to the "Old Port"? I'm assuming most cruise line have one? From what I can see, there is a 9AM and 11AM train to Aix. Do you think we can make the 9AM? train (ship arrives 8AM)?

How many hours are needed in Aix? Obviously, I would like to spend a good bit of time to see it, but am, of course, limited. We are there from 8AM -6PM.

Is three enough to at least get a feel for it. Is it worth going or should we stay in Marseille?

Appreciate the info!

Well, there are actually a lot more trains (at least one per hour) when you count the TGV (for which you have to get a reservation at the station). The St Charles Train station also has the bus station right outside and there are very frequent buses to Aix (they are about as fast as the trains). Since we have never used the regional buses we will defer to someone else who might be able to post some info....but you can always ask at the train station for the fastest routing (bus or train). As to how long this is tough since we have spent weeks in the region and still have not had enough time :). But a few hours in Aix will give you a good feel and you should also try to take some time to stop for a snack or drink at one of the cafes on the popular Cours Mirabeau. Bottom line is you are taking a cruise and your time in every port will be severely limited. About thirty years ago we started cruising in the Med and quickly realized that we also needed to do land trips where we simply rent or lease a car and spend a few weeks in a Europe. A cruise is the perfect way to find out where you would like to return and spend some land time. Given the closeness of Aix we think its worth it....but would be curious if others have different thoughts.

Hank

Yes, you should have enough time, and the previous post makes many good points. There are oodles of transport connections between Marseille and Aix, as the shuttle bus runs every five minutes during peak periods as well as the trains, and, once at Saint Charles, you can pick the most convenient route. DON'T take the TGV, as Aix TGV station is quite a way out of town. If taking the train, make sure it stops at Aix Centre.

Aix isn't so much a city of major sight (unless you are a total Cezanne nut), but more a lovely place to wander round and soak up the atmosphere. Make for the Cours Mirabeau and he warren of Old Town streets leading off it. Here's some more info about what to see in Aix and transport connections which you may find handy. http://www.marseille-provence.info/aix-en-provence.html

We are planning to take #50 bus from the stop next to gare St Charles to Aix. Is Gare Routiere d'Aix en Provence on Ave de l'Europe its final stop? if not, where should we get off? I assume that we can take the same bus back to Marseille.

Thanks.

Appreciate the replies! Hank, totally agree with you about the land trips. I've done that a lot over Europe, but have never been in the Provence region. This time we are doing a cruise that stops in Marseille, so this is my shot at seeing some of it. One more question. Is there much to do in Marseille? Some say yes. Others say it is just a big industrial city. I will definitely try to make it to Aix.

Appreciate the replies! Hank, totally agree with you about the land trips. I've done that a lot over Europe, but have never been in the Provence region. This time we are doing a cruise that stops in Marseille, so this is my shot at seeing some of it. One more question. Is there much to do in Marseille? Some say yes. Others say it is just a big industrial city. I will definitely try to make it to Aix.

Well, its a big city without a lot of charm...but does have restaurants, cafes, churches and of course you could always go over to see Chateau d'If. On one of our cruise visits to this port DW and I decided to spend the day looking for some charm in this city and were sadly disappointed. I have been waiting (for a long time) for Eurocruiser or another frequent contributor to post something about the "wonders of Marseille." We are still waiting :)

Hank

Am I'm confused? We are also going to Marseille (our first time) and plan to take the bus to Aix.

My notes say that bus #60 goes to the Basilica in Marseille.

We were going to take bus #50 near the St Charles train station to Aix.

Is this correct? Vn123 mentioned they were taking bus #60 to Aix.

I just need to get my notes straight.

Thanks!

Am I'm confused? We are also going to Marseille (our first time) and plan to take the bus to Aix.

My notes say that bus #60 goes to the Basilica in Marseille.

We were going to take bus #50 near the St Charles train station to Aix.

Is this correct? Vn123 mentioned they were taking bus #60 to Aix.

I just need to get my notes straight.

Thanks!

We are planning to take bus #50 (not #60) from S Charles station to Aix. It's what I got from this forum.

Hello vn123,

I hope someone can confirm which bus. I got my notes about bus #60 from Rick Steves book Mediterranean Cruise Ports. Under the Marseille section it says:

Bus #60 to the Basilica: This handy bus scoots you from the Old Port up to Nortre-Dame de la Garde in 10 minutes"

And I got the bus #50 to Aix from the following post on these boards.

"Be sure to take bus Line 50, which goes along the motorway and takes half an hour (there is also a slow bus service, Line 51, which stops at local towns along the way)."

Hmmmm, can someone help us with the correct bus#?

• 1 month later...

I just dug out my stuff from our 2011 trip (we'll be in Marseille again by cruise ship in November 2013) and it is definitely the #50 rapid bus, from the Marseille Saint-Charles station to Aix-en-Provence Gare routiere. If you are traveling with fellow passengers, you can get a 6 ticket pack for a reduced rate at the ticket window inside the station. The bus runs about every 20 minutes and takes about 30 - 50 minutes depending on traffic. The walk from where the ship's shuttle bus drops you off to the train station is not far but it is uphill. Get a Marseille city map from the city tourist agent who should come aboard the ship.

Three hours in Aix, especially in the morning, should be enough for a nice taste. The open air markets are open only in the morning; it's France so you have to take lunch before 2:00 p.m. (find an appealing cafe on a square and enjoy the food and people watching); and then the shops are closed from 2:00 - 4:00, so you won't be missing much by taking the bus back to Marseille.

We are a group of 4 and were wondering if it is possible to get a taxi at the pier direct to Aix. It would save the wait time for the shuttle and the bus. I read somewhere the taxi is only 20 to 30 minutes. Bottom line we feel it is more important to have extra time.

Any idea on cost of taxi to Aix and is it easy to get one back to marseille

Archived