Best trip for swimming with turtles?

needabreakcanada

We are going with Elegance Catamarans in a few weeks. They have great reviews on Tripadvisor. I've also heard great things about Calabaza Catamarans.

I agree with previous posters to check out tripadvisor. You can also do a search on this forum and will find lots of reviews.

There are several companies that offer shipwreck and turtle snorkeling packages:

Silver Moon

Shasa

Cool Runnings

Calabaza

Elegance

Why Not

Ocean Adventures

Wasn't Me

Small Cats Cruises

Ocean Mist

Jammin'

Tiami

Good Times Barbados

El Tigre Cruises

Thriller Turtle & Shipwreck Snorkel

Jolly Roger

You can also check out these websites:

http://barbados.org/sailtour.htm

http://www.funbarbados.com/tours/

http://barbados.org/tours/barbados_sea_tours.htm

Cheers, P:)

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter and I took the Elegance last week and had the greatest day!!! It was definitely a highlight of our trip. My daughter was timid to snorkel and they got her in the water and stayed by her side the entire time. Swimming with the turtles was incredible!! The boat is top notch, drinks the entire time, great lunch and the staff is awesome. I would love to go back to Barbados and we would do the same thing all over again.

There are several companies that offer shipwreck and turtle snorkeling packages:

Silver Moon

Shasa

Cool Runnings

Calabaza

Elegance

Why Not

Ocean Adventures

Wasn't Me

Small Cats Cruises

Ocean Mist

Jammin'

Tiami

Good Times Barbados

El Tigre Cruises

Thriller Turtle & Shipwreck Snorkel

Jolly Roger

You can also check out these websites:

http://barbados.org/sailtour.htm

http://www.funbarbados.com/tours/

http://barbados.org/tours/barbados_sea_tours.htm

Cheers, P:)

We've used several of these over the years - Thriller, El Tigre, Silvermoon (2 or 3 times), and Calabaza. Calabaza is our favorite, and we're booked with again for next January.

We were in Barbados March 20, went with Shasa and had an awesome time! They operate a smaller catamaran, we had our family of five and four other guests. Swimming with the turtles was amazing, we also saw lots of fish and coral. Jason offered us refreshments throughout and the lunch was excellent. Would definitely book with them again the next time we're in Barbados :D

I truly cannot say enough great things about the day, Gina & crew and their hospitality! Here is the review I gave them on TripAdvisor.

I read many reviews, and had previously sailed on Silvermoon, so we had high expectations. Gina, and her crew Ben and Danny surpassed our expectations!!

It is as described by so many here, warm banana bread, drinks and service to die for from the start! The seas were unusually rocky during our entire week at sea on our cruise, and this day was no exception. Gina was honest, and said the visibility may not be good, and swells can affect the turtles, and other times not at all. They are natural turtles, in their environment, so I could not have expected any different answer, and greatly appreciated her candor.

There was an hour or so sail out to Payne's Bay and the crew offered snacks and drinks along the way, and pointed out different sights along the way. When we arrived, immediately Shelly (a resident, friendly turtle) popped her head up and brought 2 of her friends. We had an AMAZING experience, and the 3 turtles swam around our group of 12 for at least 1/2 an hour. I could have never left. I truly was so happy, and grateful for such an experience, I cannot put into words the joy I felt, and still feel when I describe it!

Due to the swells, we headed back to close to the port, Carlisle Bay (I believe) where we snorkeled over 2 different sites and enjoyed a GREAT lunch. After lunch the catamaran stayed anchored, and we could swim or relax on the boat for about an hour. The day was paced perfectly and could not have been enjoyed more by our family.

I truly feel a visit to Barbados without sharing at least 1 sail with Gina and her crew would be an insufficient trip! I know when we return for a land vacation, Gina will be the 1st reservation I make after our accommodations

I truly cannot say enough great things about the day, Gina & crew and their hospitality! Here is the review I gave them on TripAdvisor.

I read many reviews, and had previously sailed on Silvermoon, so we had high expectations. Gina, and her crew Ben and Danny surpassed our expectations!!

It is as described by so many here, warm banana bread, drinks and service to die for from the start! The seas were unusually rocky during our entire week at sea on our cruise, and this day was no exception. Gina was honest, and said the visibility may not be good, and swells can affect the turtles, and other times not at all. They are natural turtles, in their environment, so I could not have expected any different answer, and greatly appreciated her candor.

There was an hour or so sail out to Payne's Bay and the crew offered snacks and drinks along the way, and pointed out different sights along the way. When we arrived, immediately Shelly (a resident, friendly turtle) popped her head up and brought 2 of her friends. We had an AMAZING experience, and the 3 turtles swam around our group of 12 for at least 1/2 an hour. I could have never left. I truly was so happy, and grateful for such an experience, I cannot put into words the joy I felt, and still feel when I describe it!

Due to the swells, we headed back to close to the port, Carlisle Bay (I believe) where we snorkeled over 2 different sites and enjoyed a GREAT lunch. After lunch the catamaran stayed anchored, and we could swim or relax on the boat for about an hour. The day was paced perfectly and could not have been enjoyed more by our family.

I truly feel a visit to Barbados without sharing at least 1 sail with Gina and her crew would be an insufficient trip! I know when we return for a land vacation, Gina will be the 1st reservation I make after our accommodations

Thank you for the review. I have Gina and her crew reserved for my trip in January 2014. This is one of the excursions I'm looking forward too most :)

We were on the Mar 11th sailing and had such an amazing time with Michael and crew! I was nervous in the ocean, even with the life jacket on. He used a buoy and I held on to that, myself and one other girl. He was wonderful and so caring of our well being. We had unlimited refreshment and lunch. Can't say enough about them. We saw several Turltes and I even got to touch one. Mike fed them so one would come close enough so I could touch.They were amazing!!;) You will love it!

Good luck on what ever tour you choose :D

I sailed with Calabaza last week, too and I couldn't have been happier with my experience! We even saw a whale!

As far as getting back onto the boat, there is a ladder that extends down into the water that you climb up, you will have no problem. Someone would give you a hand if you needed it!

Just wondering how far down into the water - do you have to hike your leg up to the first rung or is it pretty far down? Don't have the best knee's.

Our old boat just had one or two rungs on the back so basically your knee was up to your chest trying to get your foot on the first rung - is it like that?

Thanks

We were just in Barbados a week or so ago. Took a cab from the ship to Carlisle bay were we rented a couple of loungers and umbrella. I took an excursion offered by a vendor on the beach to swim with turtles and a shipwreck dive. $25 for a 90 minute excursion which to me was perfect. Swam with 3 turtles and the trip included finger food and beverages, both alcoholic and non. Very accommodating crew but for the life of me I don't remember the companies name. You can't miss them as the operate a yellow boat.

How far down into the water does the ladder go? Will my knee be in my chest trying to reach the first rung?

Thanks,

We did Silvermoon on their 24 person catamaran. The first step on the ladder was pretty far down into the water, I would say the first rung was aout knee level. They had stairs also in the front of the catamaran that was just like climbing normal stairs too. We used these for the swim portion of the trip, but you can contact them to see if they could be used to enter the water for the turtle snorkel:D

How far down into the water does the ladder go? Will my knee be in my chest trying to reach the first rung?

Thanks,

As someone with knee problems myself I feel your pain. I saw some pics posted on Tripadvisor for Calabaza Sailing which shows the ladder having 4 rungs. When in the water it appears the top rung is about even with the top of the water leaving the other 3 below the water. You could probably equate it to a ladder at the deep end of a pool. It may have slight angle to it and has handrails. Just my observation not hands on experience.

Edited by EggsyH

Just wondering how far down into the water - do you have to hike your leg up to the first rung or is it pretty far down? Don't have the best knee's.

Our old boat just had one or two rungs on the back so basically your knee was up to your chest trying to get your foot on the first rung - is it like that?

Thanks

I to have knee problems. We never had any problems getting back on. I think the ladder goes like 9 steps before it goes down in the water.

• 2 weeks later...

just back from Barbados swam with the turtles for free on a beautiful natural beach. The turtles are not fed but travel past beach to go to Oistins to eat fish. Saw mothers and babies . The beach is Sandy Beach in Christ Church. There is a beach bar and chairs and umbrellas to rent:D

Which company did you go with - if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

We used Tiami Tours. You won't be disappointed. Amazing crew, very good with the Turtles, just fed them and they swim up so you can see them. They swim away quite fast to but we got to see quite a few. Beautiful creatures ;)