Quick review Sun Princess NZ 18/02-04/03

Well returned from our NZ cruise on Sun Princess last week. We had a great cruise, I have cruised out of school holidays before but have never been on a cruise with only 6 kids and 6 teenagers on board before. I t was definitely a cruise for the older generation, I felt sorry for 17yr old grandson at first but he made friends with a 17yr old girl and a 14 yr old boy and they had fun together. Weather in NZ was great but it was rough for first couple of days.

We were a group of 11 and we all enjoyed ourselves.

We had arranged most of our shore stuff before we left Australia and it included Auckland harbour Cruise, Skytower and a bridge bungy jump for grandson, hired a van in Tauranga for a Rotarua visit to Hells gate for geothermal walk, mud baths and hot spas and then onto Gondola Skyline for luge rides and skyswing (for some). In Napier we had prebooked a 16 seater limousine coach tour (Black Rose Tours), it was fantastic visited Te Mata Peak, winery (up to 10 tastings), strawberry farm with complimentary strawberries and a chocolate place plus heaps of other places I would recommend this tour - great value $NZ60 for a 3 hour tour which took 4 hours. In Wellington we did the Cable Car and Te Papa museum - this is the best museum I have ever visited, been 3 times now and would go again. In Akaroa 2 of the group did the double decker bus tour (very good) and 4 did the Jet Boat (saw dolphins, seals and went into a cave) and we ate the best fish and chips of course. Hired another van in Dunedin and went to Larnach castle, chocolate factory, World's steepest street (drove up and down - scary stuff), first Church of Otago, Station and other places. Loved cruising through the sounds again even if it was very cold.

Staff on board great as usual, sister and I attended Captains lunch and sat with cruise Director. Entertainment good especially La Forza who my daughter-in-law had contacted earlier and they dedicated their song 'Mama"to my mother who had requested the song for her funeral last year. We bought a horse and won the owners race and also won a few jackpots on the pokies, including a $1400 one.:p

Can't wait for next years World Cruise now (although staff told my daughter she will be one of the youngest on that one).:)

Just remembered something else we took 5 bottles of wine on board and took them to dinner and were not charged any corkage fee. Also took on more wine from winery with no problems.:)

Hi Suey,

So glad to hear you had such a good time, and that the kids found some company their own age.

We, too, had the pleasure of La Forza recently, either on the World Cruise last year or the Cherry Blossom and they were sensational. Loved them.

Good to hear about the wine too!

Welcome back and thanks for taking the time to do the review.

I hope you don't suffer too much from Oatmeal cookie deprivation like I do. They are so good! I hate the withdrawal - lol!!

Nicki

I hope you don't suffer too much from Oatmeal cookie deprivation like I do. They are so good! I hate the withdrawal - lol!!

Nicki

I suffer from withdrawal from their bread rolls, they are the best ever!!:)

Just remembered something else we took 5 bottles of wine on board and took them to dinner and were not charged any corkage fee.

Hi Suey

Glad to hear you had a great time as we'll be boarding a week today. Regarding the wine. Is that five between the group of 11 or five just between the two of you? In carry on or in your checked luggage.

Not that we're planning on bringing on cartons but four would be nice between us so that we can have a few drinks on our balcony.

cheers

pete

Hi Suey

Glad to hear you had a great time as we'll be boarding a week today. Regarding the wine. Is that five between the group of 11 or five just between the two of you? In carry on or in your checked luggage.

Not that we're planning on bringing on cartons but four would be nice between us so that we can have a few drinks on our balcony.

cheers

pete

Five between all of us, but I think a good way is to pack one each in your luggage and carry one on each.:)

Archived