Our Canadian Friends....Quebec City?

sail7seas

Yes, we are there twice as you say, KK ....a Friday and a Sunday.

I just googled and found that most of the stores open on Sunday from noon to 5 P.M. ......perfect!

We are packed and ready and our ride will be along in about an hour and a half or so. WE ARE SOO SOOO READY FOR THIS CRUISE.

Stores are normally open 7 days a week.

This is a beautiful city, I suggest a historical tour of the city if you have time.

Enjoy! (Wonderful city to practice your french!)

Happy Sailing To All

Stores are normally open 7 days a week.

This is a beautiful city, I suggest a historical tour of the city if you have time.

Enjoy! (Wonderful city to practice your french!)

Happy Sailing To All

Thanks, CanSail. We have a tour pre-bookd for one of the weeks and plan to roam around on our own (and shop) the other cruise of our b-to-b's.

As a Canadian, and having visited Quebec City several times, it is one of the most historical cities, if not the most historical city, in North America. Once you cross the gates of the old city, you will be transporter to a time 400+ ago.

Forget the shopping, you can do that at any mall in the US, enjoy the history of this wonderful city.

2 Tours I would recommend, not from experience but simply from what they offer as per the HAL website...

Ste Anne de Beaupre & Montmorency Falls - Deluxe Tour

City Tour of Old & New Quebec

If you would like to venture out on your own, you can get information from the official Quebec Tourism website...

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/anglais/regions/region_quebec.html

The picture below is from the water's edge looking up the hill. A beautiful city.

quebeccity.jpg.c90ca8f57abe7633541ce72d61832c2d.jpg

You could not get better advice than that given by "dippy." We used to live in NJ and frequently took long weekend trips to Quebec City. One of our favorite places. If you have time, take a look at the Chateau Frontenac. Lots of history there too. We always tried to stay there. We now live in Florida, but still have my paintings and lithographs purchased in Quebec on my walls. AND my wood sculpture fishermen, AND my walrus and seals stone sculptures done by Canadian Eskimos. If they still have the horse and carriage tours, try that too. We have traveled extensively all over the world, but Quebec City stays fresh in our memory.

I spent 5 days in Quebec City last year. What a beautiful, historic city! However, the trip to Ste. Anne de Beaupre would not be high on my list if I had limited time to spend there. Use your day to roam the Old City and view the old churches there, instead. The Roman Catholic and Church of England cathedrals and the lovely little church in Lower Town all have excellent tour guides. The horse and carriage tour is an excellent idea if the weather is good. A lot of nice views and historical narrative in a fairly short time and in relative comfort.

Ste. Anne de Beaupre is less than 100 years old, and while beautiful in it's own way, does not have the charm or the feeling of age and reverence that I expected. If you have seen any of the great cathedrals of Europe it will really disappoint you.

I am an 'Anglaphone' and, as such had little time for 'Francaphones', until I visited Quebec City. As seniors, my wife and I do not usually 'walk the streets at night', until we were advised to in Quebec. We have never felt safer, walking any city, day or night, yes teenagers were there, very polite, and just talking amongst themselves. I still get asked why I wear Quebec T shirts, so I explain that I enjoyed myself there. It is also the only 'walled' city in North America. :) john

Sail—you didn’t specify what you want to shop for…bras or knickknacks-paddywacks.

At he bottom of the hill in the alleys of Vieux Montreal are numerous art and souvenir spots…some on the streets and some in tiny stores. My recall is they’re open 7 days.

Unless Sail checks the internet on the ship, unfortunately she will not see all the wonderful suggestions that have been made for her visit to Quebec City.

There is so much to see and do there and I hope they enjoy one of our lovely, old Canadian cities. Just sailing down the St. Lawrence river and seeing all the sites was worth the trip.

Years ago, we were staying at the Chateau Frontenac in a Suite waayyyy up on one of the top floors. Looking out the window one afternoon, what do we see but the Rotterdam V sailing down the river. Oh, what a magnicent sight.

We went down to the ship after it docked, found out a friend of ours (he was the Purser) and his wife were on board, so we had dinner with them that night. That was in the days, when they allowed visitors on board.

I just googled

Sail - I just learned a good friend of mine is working for the company that sponsors www.dogpile.com which lists searchs from all venues, I've been using it for a few days and have been quite impressed.

Imo, it is what "google" used to be... if you get a chance, you my want to give it a try..

Archived