Norway - How Expensive for Tourists?

We are cruising Norway in August with our 16 and 20 year old both of which have hollow legs when it comes to food lol, I didn't realise when I booked Norway was so expensive and to be honest booked just because it was a really good price for the school summer holidays (it's their first cruise and wanted them to experience one of the big ships). So we will not be doing any excursions as the prices for 4 adults was expensive and we prefer to do our own thing just wandering round the shop etc, and get them (not that they need any encouragement ) to make the most of the breakfast buffet before we go ashore, hopefully we can keep the cost down and the bank of mum and dad won't be too badly hit. Janec16

I can understand our friends from Wales wanting to save money and not spend too, too much in Norway. BUT, however, you need to be careful what you wish for and seek. Why? Tell us more on your specific ports you will be visiting. Then I can provide more specifics on certain of your options, the trade-offs to consider, etc.

As an example, yes, for Bergen, it is a great town for just walking around and soaking up so much of its excellent charm, character, history, beauty, etc. See some of my photo examples below. Love Bergen so much!! For other smaller villages, such as in certain key fjords, just wandering around there in that small little town misses some of great drama and excitement by getting more "up country" to experience more of what makes these areas so super memorable.

Your choice!! You might want to do some adjustments to your plan and budget in order to see more and better samples of these wonderful, scenic areas of Norway.

Reactions and added questions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 100,927 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Free and fun here!! :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items. Looking and watching here are FREE!!:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

Here is a highlight from the Flam train ride. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

Ah, a week has now past since we disembarked the Polarlys in Bergen.

Terry, as I've said before I love all your photos. They are so different from mine, because there are no green mountains, only snow covered ones, in mine.

I was disappointed that there were no vendors outside the fish market in Bergen. I suppose they close down for the winter. I did enjoy wandering around the fish market itself and had some terrific fish soup!

Beth

Ah, a week has now past since we disembarked the Polarlys in Bergen. Terry, as I've said before I love all your photos. They are so different from mine, because there are no green mountains, only snow covered ones, in mine. I was disappointed that there were no vendors outside the fish market in Bergen. I suppose they close down for the winter. I did enjoy wandering around the fish market itself and had some terrific fish soup! Beth

Appreciate, Beth, your follow-up, trip details and kind comments on my pictures. Tell us more!! Love to hear lots of additional info and see any visuals. Yes, March is different there. Too bad you didn't have the shopping options, but glad that the fish soup worked out so well.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 100,927 views.

Why on earth would anyone want to go abroad and want to buy chocolate from their own country?! :confused:

I refuse to eat at McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King or any other US based fast food place when I travel - well, unless I'm desperate. I joined some friends from the ship for pizza in Bergen last Monday night only, because they all wanted to go. I would have preferred one last meal more traditional to Norway.

My friend and I did some browsing in shops before we boarded the ship as she wanted to buy a couple of sweaters before returning home. She wound up buying two sweaters in the ship's gift shop, because she loved the design, and the cost was no more than in Bergen. I think she paid about 1900 NOK for each.

Beth

Appreciate, Beth, your follow-up, trip details and kind comments on my pictures. Tell us more!! Love to hear lots of additional info and see any visuals. Yes, March is different there. Too bad you didn't have the shopping options, but glad that the fish soup worked out so well.

I have written a full review but think I'll post it on the Hurtigruten threads.

I have written a full review but think I'll post it on the Hurtigruten threads.

I would also suggest doing a post here on this CC Board with a few highlights and then a link to the longer review on the Hurtigruten thread. Look forward to reading more.

I refuse to eat at McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King or any other US based fast food place when I travel - well, unless I'm desperate. I joined some friends from the ship for pizza in Bergen last Monday night only, because they all wanted to go. I would have preferred one last meal more traditional to Norway.

My friend and I did some browsing in shops before we boarded the ship as she wanted to buy a couple of sweaters before returning home. She wound up buying two sweaters in the ship's gift shop, because she loved the design, and the cost was no more than in Bergen. I think she paid about 1900 NOK for each.

Beth

Amen:)

What I Like about this review is that you've included yourselves in the photos.

Also you've taken not only the Beautiful Scenery of Norway but the Lovely food as well.

So I'm learning if you go off the beaten track in Norway,

you get the best bargains !

Thanks :). It was fun taking all those pictures (and a ton more that didn't make the review cut)

Thank you for the trip report !!! :) I really enjoyed reading it.

It was especially fun since I am from Norway myself. We live in Ålesund but our family also have an old farm in Geiranger.

For those of you who has been to Geiranger I am sure you have seen it;)

I'm glad you liked it. We enjoyed Norway so much that we're going back and bringing the kids this time.

We're doing the 2014 arctic circle cruise. Right now it stops at Alesund again and we hope it stays that way. It'll be nice to see the city during a weekday.

So, are you a fan of chicken pommes? I think I may need to pack an extra bag just to export some to my kitchen lol

We are cruising Norway in August with our 16 and 20 year old both of which have hollow legs when it comes to food lol, I didn't realise when I booked Norway was so expensive and to be honest booked just because it was a really good price for the school summer holidays ( it's their first cruise and wanted them to experience one of the big ships).

So we will not be doing any excursions as the prices for 4 adults was expensive and we prefer to do our own thing just wandering round the shop etc, and get them (not that they need any encouragement ) to make the most of the breakfast buffet before we go ashore, hopefully we can keep the cost down and the bank of mum and dad won't be too badly hit.

Janec16

Food doesnt need to be so expensive when you know where to look;)

All grocery stores/supermarkets does some sort of deals. (5 rolls for kr 20, 2 for 1 etc etc). Some also serve ready to eat food like sandwiches.

Your best bet would be to make some sandwiches etc on the ship and take ashore.

Which ports are you visiting.??

Thank you for the trip report !!! :) I really enjoyed reading it.

It was especially fun since I am from Norway myself. We live in Ålesund but our family also have an old farm in Geiranger.

For those of you who has been to Geiranger I am sure you have seen it;)

The farm on the ridge atop the fjord? We saw if from a tourist boat. Amazing story about life there

Beautiful country

The farm on the ridge atop the fjord? We saw if from a tourist boat. Amazing story about life there

Beautiful country

Not so far out.

When you sail into and almost arrived in Geiranger there is a road at your left side with lots of curves. (Ørnevegen or Eagleroad) In the middle there are a cluster of old buildings. Thats where it is:)

Who mentioned anything about wanting to buy chocolate :confused:

Okay, technically you didn't say you wanted to buy chocolate. You simply asked if it was expensive and if UK brands were sold:

Are bars of chocolate expensive in Norway and do they sell U.K. brands ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFw8NjZF-Qk

To answer your questions explicitly:

Chocolate can be a bit expensive, especially since it carries its own special tax. You can typically get a small chocolate bar in a convenience store for around 25 NOK, or you can buy larger bars in groceries for a better price.

Some UK brands are available, but they are not especially common, because Norway is home to multiple local chocolate brands (Freia & Nidar) that have a great reputation for producing high-quality milk chocolate. (Freia also makes decent dark chocolate, but it's not as popular and thus harder to find.) Both brands are delicious, and I highly recommend them (though I do tend to pick Freia first -- especially the Walters Mandler almond bar). However, if you really want to find UK brands in Norway, I would suggest checking Deli de Luca, since they tend to carry more imported candies than other places.

Thankyou for the chocolate information Kaisatsu.

Never associated Norway with chocolate making though,

Swiss and Belgium first come to mind.

Suppose each Country are used to thier own Brand and taste.

Did'nt know about the Tax ,it's amazing what governments can do.

Will keep an eye out for the Chocolate bars you've mentioned.

walters-mandler.gif?w=450&h=222

By the way your "Link" seems to be in Norwegian :)

Chocolate can be a bit expensive, especially since it carries its own special tax.

Wow, didn't know that (and not just chocolate, but other sweet goods). It explains the higher prices for those products there. I remember being a little surprised, but just put it down to why frozen foods and fresh vegies were also expensive.

They've raised the idea of a similar tax here though.

Archived