New way for Carnival to stick it to ES purchasers

rch3

Well, we sail twice a year. Most times with CCL, including our upcoming Dream cruise this July. I've posted before about the private upsell method to avoid a published fare reduction keeping ES purchasers at bay, but here's a new one.

Last week's sale with up to $450 obc had a published rate of $1049 pp for a 7c cove balcony. For that fare in that category purchasers received $250 obc/cabin. Now our rate had been reduced to $1039 pp. So pay $20 to get $250 right?

Not so fast says carnival. It is "price protection" not incentive protection. In other words, those who commit with non-refundable deposits are treated less favorably than are those who wait and can later simply cancel. Of course the obc is likely to help keep people committed, just like the penalty for cancellation keeps ES fare payers on the hook.

Nice job ccl. Use the stick to keep ES cruisers in line and the carrot for everyone else. And don't try to convince me that I had a better choice of cabins. Plenty of availability thus the non-price protected incentive. Last ES booking for me. Too many ways for ccl to avoid its promise.

OP, so true. They continue to promote "booking early" to get the "best price". Then, at the last minute, change the rules. You need to have an advanced degree to read through and understand all the red tape involved with the myriad of fare codes and classes Carnival offers. For most simple people, they just want to take advantage of what the offer states....that is, you will receive the best price on your cruise by booking early. I am sorry to hear of your experience. In this instance, those who booked early, do not receive the best price. Once people get burned enough, the demand for the ES will likely decline significantly. Anyone considering booking the ES needs to do their homework and understand exactly what is and isn't protected. I do hope you have an enjoyable vacation.

I don't pay attention to all that sale nonsense, I'm happy went I book a IS less then 600.00, a OV less then 700.00 and a balcony less then 800.00 for a 7 night cruise. I can live with those numbers and be happy. :)

I don't pay attention to all that sale nonsense, I'm happy went I book a IS less then 600.00, a OV less then 700.00 and a balcony less then 800.00 for a 7 night cruise. I can live with those numbers and be happy. :)

Right, and that is great! But some people are booking with a different expectation based on the advertising that accompanies the early saver. You really have to read the fine print to understand the ins and the outs, and when people don't fully understand the details, they can be disappointed.

Incentives are just that - a promotion to get new bookings, not so someone can double dip. Enjoy your cruise!

I almost didn't respond because of the inanity of your response. Here's the math in simple terms: Us-$2078 (non-refundable deposit)

Them-$2098 (fully-refundable deposit)

Them-$250 obc

Net-$1848

I understand that the incentive is to promote new bookings (thanks for pointing out the obvious). My point, which you ignore with your blanket statement, is that by effectively avoiding the "incentive" of a fare reduction, by masking it as a rebate in obc, carnival is avoiding its price protection guarantee. Your "double dip" remark is simply, well, inaccurate.

OP, so true. They continue to promote "booking early" to get the "best price". Then, at the last minute, change the rules. You need to have an advanced degree to read through and understand all the red tape involved with the myriad of fare codes and classes Carnival offers. For most simple people, they just want to take advantage of what the offer states....that is, you will receive the best price on your cruise by booking early. I am sorry to hear of your experience. In this instance, those who booked early, do not receive the best price. Once people get burned enough, the demand for the ES will likely decline significantly. Anyone considering booking the ES needs to do their homework and understand exactly what is and isn't protected. I do hope you have an enjoyable vacation.

You saved my typing fingers, always wondered when topics like this would pop up ;)

I agree with you. The appeal of ES used to be that you were guaranteed the lowest price (up to 2 days prior to the sailing). Now there are so many restrictions and loopholes that it is not worth it to book ES. Yet one more reason to try other cruise lines...;)

So are you saying that even with booking early saver, you weren't given the adjusted rate that included the OBC?

Genuinely asking here, not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I've seen it several times around here (myself included) of people getting that slightly higher rate with the OBC to net lower. Just trying to understand what rate you were told you couldn't get. Having an ES booking for August, this is useful information for me to have. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, we sail twice a year. Most times with CCL, including our upcoming Dream cruise this July.

Let this be a lesson to those who think their loyalty to Carnival (or any business for that matter) is going to be reciprocated. If Carnival is going to stick it to you, they won't care how loyal you've been. They'll do it without thinking twice.

Every time I hear someone say "I've cruised on Carnival SO many times and look at what they did to me", I wonder if people realize that Carnival is just another business, not interested in your feelings, or in being your best friend forever. They just want your money.

I almost didn't respond because of the inanity of your response. Here's the math in simple terms: Us-$2078 (non-refundable deposit)

Them-$250 obc

Net-$1848

I understand that the incentive is to promote new bookings (thanks for pointing out the obvious). My point, which you ignore with your blanket statement, is that by effectively avoiding the "incentive" of a fare reduction, by masking it as a rebate in obc, carnival is avoiding its price protection guarantee. Your "double dip" remark is simply, well, inaccurate.

If Carnival refused your price protection form request through Early Saver for a rate that had OBC attached, I'd call back and try again. Like the other poster said, others have done it successfully (and have done so lately even after all these new fare codes started). Early Saver is still advertised as the lowest price guaranteed. Sometimes they just need a little reminder, and sometimes you have to ask more than once. ;) I ended up calling the Guest Care department because it was too convoluted to try to explain on the price protection form, but the bottom line is that if someone could book the exact same category with the same number of passengers as you at a lower rate, you get to match that as long as it is a rate you qualify for (excluding Instant Saver and Super Saver, which can't be price matched with Early Saver). If the cabin can be booked for $1848 today and you paid more, you get the difference. Sometimes you have to pay more up front (because the base fare is more) in order to get the OBC, but that is just a technicality. Good luck!

I agree with you. The appeal of ES used to be that you were guaranteed the lowest price (up to 2 days prior to the sailing). Now there are so many restrictions and loopholes that it is not worth it to book ES. Yet one more reason to try other cruise lines...;)

As I sit here with $1,670 in OBC (all but $200 of it from price drops) on my ES booking, I couldn't disagree with you more. :o Just sayin'. I've also had ES bookings where I didn't get any OBC, but I've never seen a lower fare than what I had that I wasn't able to take advantage of. I'm not saying it never happens, simply that it hasn't happened to me.

OP, I've read of many people getting the OBC with the ES fare as aggieastrosfan indicated. Did you ask for it and were denied?

Let this be a lesson to those who think their loyalty to Carnival (or any business for that matter) is going to be reciprocated. If Carnival is going to stick it to you, they won't care how loyal you've been. They'll do it without thinking twice.

Every time I hear someone say "I've cruised on Carnival SO many times and look at what they did to me", I wonder if people realize that Carnival is just another business, not interested in your feelings, or in being your best friend forever. They just want your money.

Agreed. It seems that there's no such thing as rewards for customer loyalty these days. But, I do still very much enjoy my cruises. :D

Tapi, Well said, agree 100%;) Pink

See, I see no point to book early saver due to the fee to cancel. I've had $420 in price drops due to past guest rate. Yes, after final payment I'm done but in reality, how much does a sailing really drop after final payment? I've never had a price drop and maybe it's because it's Europe but I figure if I was willing to pay X- anything else is good up until final payment. Sorry it's not working out for you.

See, I see no point to book early saver due to the fee to cancel. I've had $420 in price drops due to past guest rate. Yes, after final payment I'm done but in reality, how much does a sailing really drop after final payment? I've never had a price drop and maybe it's because it's Europe but I figure if I was willing to pay X- anything else is good up until final payment. Sorry it's not working out for you.

If the ship isn't full, you can get some great price drops after final payment!

I understand about the cancellation fee, that's why I don't book ES unless I'm 100% certain my plans won't change. So far, so good. Well, except for a divorce and havng to pay $50 to cancel my ex out of the cabin and have his deposit transferred to my name. But, I was able to apply that to my upcoming cruise. :D

I have a question..... :)

I booked ES last July for a cruise in May. The category I booked, 6K, only has 2 rooms on the ship. I booked one (obviously) and the other was already booked.

With the category now sold out, I never bother looking for a price reduction. Is it possible if Carnival blankets a promo..OBC, upgrade etc.. I can ask for the promo item?

Thanks

I have done very well on ES in the past. So it can work for you. I would call back and see what can be done if anything.

If they won't keep your eyes open. There is a good chance you will see a straight reduction of equivalent value as you get closer to sailing.

Them-$250 obc

Net-$1848

Carnival is not doing anything they haven't done before. Since you understand what an incentive is, you understand you are not eligible for it. Yet you want both it and I suspect price protection AFTER final payment which the other fares won't have. Seems to me you want both which sounds like double dipping to me.

Carnival is not doing anything they haven't done before. Since you understand what an incentive is, you understand you are not eligible for it. Yet you want both it and I suspect price protection AFTER final payment which the other fares won't have. Seems to me you want both which sounds like double dipping to me.

Do Carnival pay you enough ?:confused:

What some people don't seem to realize is that Carnival owes them nothing. Incentives and loyalty programs exist to generate new business. They are not rewards for events in the past, but to generate something going forward. They also can only do so much. If they don't accomplish the desired goals, lowering of prices can be tried. Patience is a virtue. :)

Archived