Adventure of the Seas/Other options

Hi everyone.. Just got back from Allure of the Seas this week and LOVED it.. Already looking into next years options for a cruise and me and my other have narrowed it down to a few. We're both in our early 20's. So far I've been on Allure, Freedom, Carnival Freedom, NCL Jewel, and Carnival Sensation. We want to do different ports this time seeing as we have been to the basic ones such as Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten, Cozumel, Grand Caymans, etc. We need it to be in the time frame of Spring Break.. Preferably ON her spring break which is the 2nd week of March.. But I think if I HAD to convince her to miss a week of class she would

One option is Adventure of the Seas.. going to Curacao and Aruba, etc. We're avoiding the March 2nd cruise because that is what I believe is the final cruise before it's dry dock because it's the last cruse that it shows. So we were thinking Feb 16th in either a balcony for around 2400 or a junior suite for around 3500 for us two. Our concern is that it will seem a little worn and run down since it's near dry dock and with Allure fresh in our minds on it's clean ness.

Next option is Jewel of the Seas out of Puerto Rico, 7 day, going to Tortola, St Maarten, St Kitts, Dominica, and Barbados.. We can get a balcony for 2000 or a JR suite for 3200. This one is right around her spring break time.

Another option is the Carnival Breeze.. Trying to stick with RCL but I don't know if it will be possible for this year.. 8 night cruise, going to Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic and Grand Turk. We can get a balcony for 2500 or an Ocean Suite for 3400. Concerns on this one is us being used to RCL and being disappointed with Carnival. 2nd is that deck that goes around the entire ship on Breeze so when you're out on your balcony to look at the ocean, the pool loungers and public deck is directly down and not the ocean.. (Best itinerary though and pretty good price)

One of the options we're kinda leaning towards is Emerald Princess.. It's a 10 night cruise that goes to Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas, Princess Cays..The price for this is a balcony for 3500 or a mini suite for 4200. This cruise is more expensive but extra days and I feel good ports

Lastly is the NCL Sun. It leaves from Miami and is an 11 night cruise. It goes to Colombia, Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten and St Thomas. Good itinerary but pretty small ship and the prices aren't very good.. balcony is 3000 and a mini suite is way out of budget.

To sum it all up, we need help :) I'm going to post on other lines forums as well..

Help help help!

The Adventure is the only ship that I have been on so far, so I guess I can't really help you in comparing the condition to other ships. I saw nothing wrong with her, except the carpet on the mini golf course was not in very good condition.

We all loved sailing from San Juan! If you plan on staying a while pre-cruise I don't think you will be disappointed. It was just the perfect warm weather, and a beautiful breeze at night...and daily rain showers that would disappear as quickly as they popped up. Everywhere we wanted to go we could hop on a bus, shuttle or just walk to. Loved it.

Only you know what you want to see & do.

If it were my choice, I'd either do the Jewel or the Emerald Princess. I love the southern ports but wouldn't sail on Carnival again unless there were NO other options.

Would I be bored if I chose the Princess cruise since I'm used to the activities on RCL? We aren't party people but we do like activities throughout the day and night. Is Jewel/Adventure in pretty good shape? Is it exciting cruising out of Puerto Rico? (I love sailing out of Ft Lauderdale). Is everything up to date on the ships except for the awful old school tv's? I like how the Princess ship is 3 extra days.

I've only been on Adventure on that list so I can't add too much. But most reviews are that it's in good shape.

Also, our first cruise was on Freedom of the Seas when it was brand new, we really had no issue going to an "older" ship after that. It'll be different but, I wouldn't worry about that.

The Aruba/Curacao route has great reviews but in the end I'd go with the ship/itinerary you like best.

You won't be surprised to hear that I'd recommend the Jewel since I'm already booked on that cruise.

I prefer the southern Caribbean islands, but prefer to visit them from San Juan because I don't like too many sea days. Adventure would not be a bad choice either, but it has one more sea day/one fewer port of call than the Jewel.

It appears all you are gaining from the longer cruises is more days at sea. I enjoy sea days, but too many get repetitive in my opinion. I cruise more for the ports of call.

In terms of condition, I've found Royal does an AMAZING job in maintaining its fleet. Ships do NOT feel OLD. I don't think you'd have an issue with the condition of Adventure or Jewel.

As others have said, it's ultimately your decision. You need to decide what works best for YOU!

I'd jump on adventure in a heart beat but it going into dry dock mid March concerns me as I've heard not so good things about sailings right before dry dock. We would have to go on a time not during her spring break either which isn't that big of a deal. March 2nd I kind of want to stay away from because that's the very last cruise before it. I thought about the one mid February but that's kind of early. Torn between jewel, adventure, and the 10 day emerald princess

Would I miss the royal promenade and people watching on the jewel?

The answer to this question is very subjective. But, in my own experiences, I did miss the Royal Promenade when I was on Serenade of the Seas (sister ship of Jewel). And, while I loved our port-intensive itinerary on Serenade, I wished there had been more than one sea day! I was exhausted at the end of that cruise, being on the go day after day! :eek: Heck, I came home from that vacation NEEDING a vacation! ;)

Would I miss the royal promenade and people watching on the jewel?

Don't know if you would, but I did miss the Promenade Cafe when I was on the Brilliance. Of course, I'd still book it (or any Vision or Radiance class) if it had an ideal itinerary not found on other ships.

Considering the ports and ship, would you guys choose jewel or adventure (right before it's dry dock)

Well, I had to make the same decision as you, and I chose Adventure. I sail in just over 2 weeks! :D Granted, I don't have the dry-dock issue to worry about, but I cannot imagine that Royal Caribbean will let the ship and/or service slide for the guests who travel prior to dry-dock! I think they do a great job of keeping all their ships in "spiffy" condition! ;)

Well, I had to make the same decision as you, and I chose Adventure. I sail in just over 2 weeks! :D Granted, I don't have the dry-dock issue to worry about, but I cannot imagine that Royal Caribbean will let the ship and/or service slide for the guests who travel prior to dry-dock! I think they do a great job of keeping all their ships in "spiffy" condition! ;)

Very true! I think I'd miss the promenade on Jewel.

I have been on all the ships that you mentioned. I love the sea days, so I would go on the Emerald in a heart beat. I liked the Breeze, but I didn't LOVE it. I've been on the Adventure 3 times and going again next January, so as you can see, I think any one of these ships is a good choice.

I was on Allure last week as well and we booked to go on Adventure on March 2nd for the islands it goes to but I am having a hard time going from Allure, which I have been on 2x, back to Adventure which was my first cruise.

I was on Allure last week as well and we booked to go on Adventure on March 2nd for the islands it goes to but I am having a hard time going from Allure, which I have been on 2x, back to Adventure which was my first cruise.

I hear what you are saying! I absolutely LOVED Oasis, and then Allure! I thought it would be so hard to return to a "normal" ship after sailing on those two ships back-to-back. But, I can honestly say it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I do look forward to returning to an Oasis-class ship in the future. But, in the meantime I am enjoying each and every cruise experience that comes along! :D

I hear what you are saying! I absolutely LOVED Oasis, and then Allure! I thought it would be so hard to return to a "normal" ship after sailing on those two ships back-to-back. But, I can honestly say it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I do look forward to returning to an Oasis-class ship in the future. But, in the meantime I am enjoying each and every cruise experience that comes along! :D

Have you ever had an Aft Junior Suite on Adventure?

Have you ever had an Aft Junior Suite on Adventure?

I have not sailed on Adventure yet, but have had aft cabins on Explorer, Voyager, Liberty and Freedom. All of which are identical to the aft cabins on Adventure. The cabins I sailed in are all Deck 10 aft/corner D1 cabins (that are the size of a JS cabin). But, I have visited the aft JS cabin on most of these ships as well, so I do have first-hand experience. Also, in 18 days I will be sailing on Adventure, and will once again be staying in my favorite Deck 10 aft/corner cabin :D What would you like to know about the aft JS cabins? I will surely try to help you!

I have not sailed on Adventure yet, but have had aft cabins on Explorer, Voyager, Liberty and Freedom. All of which are identical to the aft cabins on Adventure. The cabins I sailed in are all Deck 10 aft/corner D1 cabins (that are the size of a JS cabin). But, I have visited the aft JS cabin on most of these ships as well, so I do have first-hand experience. Also, in 18 days I will be sailing on Adventure, and will once again be staying in my favorite Deck 10 aft/corner cabin :D What would you like to know about the aft JS cabins? I will surely try to help you!

Are they bigger than the midship ones? Or the balconies? Obstructed views?

Are they bigger than the midship ones? Or the balconies? Obstructed views?

There is no question that the balconies are bigger! I believe that the cabins themselves are a tad larger too. I attached a few photos of the deck 10 aft JS's. I did not find the obstruction to be bothersome from Deck 10. Sorry, but the balcony photo I had was taken at night. I will try to find you a better one.

There are also aft JS's on lower decks though, and while you still get the large balcony, you do have to look through the super structure to see out to the wake. I attached a photo of the view looking toward the wake from the Deck 7 aft JS as well...

Cabin.jpg.2a6adcb7d312be037a79dd99f4d79cec.jpg

Cabin_Balcony.jpg.2a3c553e478d176a26188319c062fc5d.jpg

Cabin_looking_out.jpg.981c0d530c5740379c8d56418e48a80f.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg.c8063b60efd91f786ea992ab4aa68a2c.jpg

1360914939_viewfrombalcony7394.jpg.4095ae4fd95a4eb8c89bbb507c67a365.jpg

Archived