Where to start check in?

cwistyred

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, and I'm sure it is, but I have never flown an itinerary where each segment is with a different airline.

I have a trip - Ontario CA to Rome. I have 2 stops. The entire trip was booked on Delta. The trip includes partner airlines. The first leg of the trip is on Alaska Airlines, the long haul across is on Delta and the second stop concludes on Air France.

Question - When I get to ONT do I check in with Delta or Alaska Airlines? I of course want to make sure the luggage is checked all the way through.

I have tried looking this up online, and Delta Customer Service is a half hour wait. I did call each airline, including KLM which we use to come back to the states and reserved seats as the Delta website would not let me choose seats on any leg except theirs.

Just want to be sure I do this correctly

Thanks for any input.

Check in on these itineraries always starts with the first operating carrier so AS in your case. AS should check your bags all the way through. Just make sure your baggage tags say

FCO (which is IATA code for Fiumicino airport) as well as intermediate airports (I am guessing AS/QX to SLC, DL to CDG and AF to FCO) in reverse order.

As for seats, you need the record locator for each airline. Once you get them, you can go to each airline's website to get seats. May not work on the AF flights for economy as the cabin configuration depends on the mix of C and Y pax for each flight (same seats for the most part, slightly different service).

Thank you for the information. I thought that I would probably start with Alaska, but wasn't sure. I had visions of waiting in a long line at the Delta counter only to be told I was in the wrong place and missing the flight.

Thanks again!

Archived