Booking Direct or with a TA

sammyjo882

There are some great TA's out there that discount the prices. Booking directly through Princess normally will not get you a discounted rate. Travel Agents often times have group rates for certain sailings too. This can get you a better rate AND/OR a shipboard credit from the group booking.

Princess has never been able to beat or come close to the price our TA gives us. Keep shopping around as many online sites have different prices for the same cruise.

Sorry, the rules of this board state that we can not post names or links to travel agents, so I can't give you some names to check.

Princess has never been able to beat or come close to the price our TA gives us. Keep shopping around as many online sites have different prices for the same cruise.

I agree with Toto - my TA will ALWAYS give me a better price on Princess then Princess direct will. Plus - they may have other perks such as shipboard credit, etc ..

Also - some TAs give much better prices then you will find on online websites and discount websites. Plus, you have a real, knowledgable person to talk to when you have questions.

If there were absolutely no difference in price I'd book direct, and be prepared to handle to everything on my own. I think there is a big difference between an agent, such as Toto and I use, and the big booking-engine type service mentioned by the OP. I'm sure Expedia et al have some good people, but I doubt that they will ever be able to provide the same kind of personal service as an individual agent can.

What are the advantages of using a travel agent vs. booking direct with Princess vs. Expedia or the like? For the cruise I'm looking at - all have the same price ...Thanks for any advice.

I like to book direct, to be in charge when I'm selecting a room and the other options. Then, later, I shop around to my favorite TAs. When one offers a better price I transfer the booking from the cruise line to the TA.

I see it as the best of both worlds, being involved and in charge when making important choices, and later getting a better price.

I like to book direct, to be in charge when I'm selecting a room and the other options. Then, later, I shop around to my favorite TAs. When one offers a better price I transfer the booking from the cruise line to the TA.

I see it as the best of both worlds, being involved and in charge when making important choices, and later getting a better price.

Paul - I sort of do this also. I book directly with Princess and choose what I want, etc. . Due to the fact that I cancel half of the cruises I book, I don't want to bother my travel agent with a lot of cancellations. Once I know that I am going to keep the booking, I transfer it to her and then she discounts the price.

What are the advantages of using a travel agent vs. booking direct with Princess vs. Expedia or the like?

For the cruise I'm looking at - all have the same price ...

Thanks for any advice.

They might all have the same "published" price, but some TA's can get you special discounts based on their booking level with the particular cruise line. Also, while the price may be equal, TA's can ensure that you get some "gimmies" ... like onboard credit, perks, etc.

A TA can also keep an eye on your booking and make sure that if the price goes down, she gets you cancelled and rebooked at the lower price before your cancellation window has expired. A good TA can also be a wealth of knowledge you can tap into with any questions, problems or concerns.

I think you're always better off booking through a TA. If something goes wrong, you will be damned glad you did. Believe me, I've been there ... missed the boat on my first cruise and had to fly to Costa Rica. It was my TA's office that took all the concerns off my hands. With me on the phone in the airport, the TA took over ... all I had to do was go where told. Had I not had a TA on that booking, I would have had to do everything myself ... from a frame of mind where I was quite upset to begin with.

Go with a TA. It's not costing you anything extra.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Paul,

we always book through a travel agent (for the better price and on board credits), but make all the decisions regarding room, transfers, dining time and present them to the travel agent.

Archived