Tampa hotel needed

wrp96

Any recommendations for a pre-cruise hotel in Tampa? Any ones to avoid.

Not looking for cheap - if that were true, a very generous friend offered the use of their mother's condo and rides everywhere, which mom vetoed. Doesn't have to be the most expensive either.

Getting in around 6pm the night before so will probably just want a nice meal/drink at or around the hotel and then relax and a nice breakfast in the morning before heading to the port to be among the first onboard.

Areas in Tampa to avoid (IMHO) The Stadium area, The Fairgrounds area. -- Seedy areas with seedy hotels mixed in with decent ones.

Ybor City area is lively and lots of folks love the night life there but it's just too much for me. So Ybor City area is just a matter of opinion.

Downtown Tampa hotels will get you close to the ship. There are a few really nice ones to select from, The Marriott Waterside, Embassy Suites downtown, Residence Inn etc... www.downtowntampahotles.com

The Rocky Point area of Tampa is an island that overlooks Tampa Bay. There are a few hotels there that offer a great cruise pkg with r/t port transportation. -Holiday Inn, Hampton and Chase Suites Rocky Pt. These three are all middle-of-the-road as far as rates. All three of these hotels overlook the Bay with a seawall or dock area.

The Westin Rocky Point $$ is probably the nicest as it has it's own private beach area although I'm not sure of any cruise pkgs.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1505

The Westshore area is near two malls and lots of restaurants. There are a ton of hotels in this area. The nicest, IMO, would be the 4-Star Renaissnace @ the International Plaza. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/tpaim-renaissance-tampa-international-plaza-hotel/ There is also an Embassy Suites Westshore that is very nice as well as some mid-range

hotels, Ramada Westshore ( they have a new bar/lounge area onsite that I've heard is very nice), Hilton Garden, Hyatt, as well as many others.

:)

We are doing the Marriott Waterside. If we didn't have luggage you could almost walk about 1.5 to port.

Walking's out with mom, although since I will wake up at 5am due to too much excitement I may go for a walk before heading to the ship so I'll remember that suggestion.

Do not stay at Hampton Inn Airport/Westshore. I stayed there last night and I can't recommend it.

Thanks. Went ahead and booked the Marriott Waterside but if others see this I'm sure they too will appreciate the warning.

Archived