Red Sea Magic ports & currencies

Hi, we are travelling on Thomson Celebration on 4th April (Red Sea Magic), just trying to decide about how much of each currency to get.

We are in Jordan for 2 days and egypt for 7; we are planning to do some fairly local excursions and a bit of exploring on our own.

I know the currencies are Jordanian dinar and egyption pound but has anyone experienced using other currencies? I have been places before and been asked for euros/American dollars in turkey/greece, which would be easier to judge as I can get more and just keep what we don't use, but then don't want to be left short and have heard ship exchange rates are not good.

Also if anyone has any tips or ideas about prices of food and drink when out and about in ports, we are visiting Aqaba, Port Sokna, Safaga and Sharm. I have heard they are mainly industrial ports but don't think this will bother us as we plan to do lots of beach trips and chiling out!!!

Thanks for your help and advice in advance! :)

Make sure you do plenty of research about each port as they really are industrial ports ie. Safaga and Port Sokhna are not at all geared up for tourists ....apart from the last time we were at Sokhna a man turned up with a wallpaper table and got some bits and pieces out to sell on the quayside!! but there won't be a queue of taxis waiting like there is in the Caribbean!! in fact you'll be lucky if you see a taxi in those two ports! Aqaba and Sharm are different although I believe in Aqaba you have to get a shuttle to the port entrance...we did a trip when we were last there so caught the coach from the quayside but previously we got a shuttle to the town centre and walked around from there. As someone else said you really ought to do Petra if you haven't been, unless you have absolutely no interest in the wonders of the world! :)

Remember they don't really want euro or pound coins, but notes are fine. So if you want to spend less than 5 euros (eg a tip at a toilet - and with some toilets you have to tip before they let you in) take some 1 dollar notes.

Ok, thx for that, think we are only going to go on arranged excursions from Safaga and Sokhna, but may have a wonder around in aqaba. I have heard that there is a shuttle bus to the town from the ship. It is very useful to know about the toilet tipping!! Think I'll get a small amount of each currency but take mainly euros.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Hi, US$ 1 notes are handy to have too. We took them last time on Red Sea Magic cruise. They are the lowest denomination of note that you can get and they seem to prefer notes to coins. We used US$ and Euros in both Jordan and Egypt.

Berwyn

Archived