Help! QM2 Transatlantic newbie booking questions...

susan1234

1. Re: B2 balcony rooms:

- Deck 11 or Deck 8?

- Forward, Mid-ship or Aft cabins (at this time, they only have aft cabins available)

- Is wheelchair accessible room bigger than the regular room?

- Is the B2 cat room big/comfortable enough for FOUR adults?

2. I called Cunard booking line direct, and was quoted EBS fare. Will I get a better pricing by booking through a travel agent? Is one travel agency better than the other, ratewise? (Someone recommended AAA)

3. Is it worth it to upgrade to B1 for $100 more per person?

That's all I can think of right now, and would be most grateful if you could advice. Thanks in advance.

Susan

I can only comment on the deck but the higher you go the more the motion especially on the Atlantic.

I was on Deck 11 in an inside cabin and when you lay in bed there was definite motion.

I can only comment on the deck but the higher you go the more the motion especially on the Atlantic.

I was on Deck 11 in an inside cabin and when you lay in bed there was definite motion.

I suspect that is the case too, given the height of the ship. Think I am going for Deck 8 then.

B-Grade cabins are definitely not designed for 4 adults. Our P-Grade would be tight if we added a third in a sofa bed.

We are in a 10 Deck P-1 and we had two large flower bouquets fly accross the cabin this morning in very heavy seas, let alone all toiletries in the bathroom scattered across the floor. We are not prone to seasickness, so we have had great sport with the might of the North Atlantic.

The ship rides the waves quite well but we are in very high seas, yet maintaining a steady 25 knots.

The primary fulcrum rule applies to a large ship: the higher you are from gravity's center, the more motion you will feel.

Hi

I have not been on the QM2 yet. Going in Sept!!

But from my cruise experience you don't want to be too high (which is something I find really odd with the suites on QM2), and preferably you need to be mid ships. There is quite a bit of movement at the front of the ship!! Had a cabin once that was forward coming back to the UK from the Caribbean in January and the weather was hurricane force. The ship rocked and rolled all night and the sound of the sea crashing against the side kept me awake. Ever since I have had mid ships cabin.

Hope this helps with your choice.

Elaine

Low-down and mid-ships is the best location to avoid ship movement. That would be a recommendation for Atlantic crossings. My understanding is that the B grade cabins can take a maximum of three people. In my Cunard brochure most B grade cabins are marked for two only.

In the UK travel agents will often reduce Cunard discounted prices by a further 10 percent.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Hi Susan1234

re the fares if l can suggest you shop around on the internet and get some different quotes, you might be surprised how much you can save, see if the agents price match and take it from there, some might throw in a onboard credit, or free photo or bottle of champagne, if you dont ask you wont get!!! lm only speaking from a UK passengers point of view, but good luck, l wonder if anybody has paid full fare?? , but in saying that, no doubt you will find somebody who has paid a lower fare, and as for upgrades, well thats another story.

cheers

Myles

... for the above helpful advice!

So far: mid-ship cabins, two per room.

I am beginning to wonder if we need a balcony. Can anyone here chime on the difference? I understand that rooms are bigger without a balcony? (not to mention a bit cheaper in rate too.)

Re: rough seas. Is it always bad? We are thinking of September 14th Eastbound crossing. Will have some 'first-timers' with us. May alter their mind forever about cruising if it is going to be 'rocking-rough'. :(

Susan1234,

I don't think the seas will be too rough during a September crossing. I've not yet done a transatlantic on QM2. However, have cruised three times aboard this elegant ship and all in deluxe balcony B1- B2 grade cabins. If you are willing to splurge for the extra it is well worth it.

There is nothing quite as sublime as waking up in the morning and wandering out onto your own private verandah to see the vast ocean and watch the sun rise lazily over the horizon. A late afternoon doze in the comfort of your own private balcony is worth every penny and once you've sampled this cruising oasis you will never want to do without.

Have a wonderful trip!

Cruiserking

Have to admit that we always have a cabin with a balcony. I couldn't imagine not having one anymore. Mind you we have an in hull balcony on the QM2 but we are going transatlantic (we got on as you get off!!). We usually travel with P & O and the cabin we have with them has a hull balcony but has a glass partition. I believe they don't have this bit on the QM2. Still I have read a message on here that says they are quite nice. No doubt I shall compare with what I am used to.

Elaine

The agent found us balcony cabins with obstructed view (which I read here somewhere wasn't that bad) on deck 8 for a few hundred less than B2. I think it'll be fine? I figure we probably won't spend a lot of time in the room, but can still walk outside to see the water and have a breath of fresh air? (Like what's advised above)

The other thing too is that my m-i-l has problem walking, and she needs a wheelchair for long distance. Wonder if I should book her a handicapped room? (Only available in B2, so more $$.)

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived