Bit of a (surprise) Blog – Freedom of the Seas – Western Caribbean – 17th March 2013

Chocolate breakfast this morning; they have found some Focaccia bread for me….. I get it wrapped to go. The tour leaves from the theatre at 10am, as soon as we have docked. We get priority gangway access and the ferry to the mainland is waiting for us. There are 7 ships in port today. The ride over is calm; around 45 minutes. I sit for the most part upstairs but it’s hotting up. When we dock there are many tours waiting for their guests and we head off to our coach. There is no time for shopping. The drive to Coba is really long at an hour and a half. Our guide on the coach is Carlos and he talks pretty much the whole time with the use of a microphone. He is enthusiastic and very animated. He illustrates his talk with maps and photographs. His Mayan heritage is clearly very important to him and he yearns to share this.

I will confess to dozing off en route. I am not alone.

We arrive at the forest where the ruins are to be found. ‘Coba’ means stinking water. There are no rivers, just standing water and sink holes. I was aware that a fair amount of walking would be involved but the round trip to the pyramid is over 3 miles. I walk there and share a taxi bicycle ride back. The walk is on very uneven ground. And it’s very hot. Very very hot. There are many tourists there walking, riding the bike taxis or cycling themselves. I feel pressed for time and unable to fully absorb my surroundings and truly appreciate how awesome this site is. We get to the pyramid eventually. It is big and inspirational. I am in no fit state to walk up. Many do. It is now 2pm and I am grateful for the bread in my bag.

By the time we get back to town it is 4pm and we have lunch in the most unexpected environment. It’s a restaurant that has been fashioned out of a network of caves. I have no idea what I ate…. Chicken, rice, salad I think….too dark to really assess. We are then entertained to a show by a group dressed in Mayan costume I think. I didn’t really understand what it was meant to be portraying but it was really good….. some excellent tricks with fire.

We catch the ferry back and therein lies my current problem. I don’t do white knuckle rides. It was rough; I clearly look ill as I am offered a sick bag….. I have room to lie down but that doesn’t help. An excursion to snorkel with turtles had been cancelled this morning because of the weather…. Well the ferry bounced back to Cozumel at quite a rate. I think we delayed sailaway.

I shower quickly and head to a Friday night Sabbath candle service that has been provided by RCCL in the Chapel. I am usually alone at these events and tonight is no different. The wine, so kindly provided, has no corkscrew provided. Sigh.

Please. Stop feeding me. The MDR is very quiet. Apparently they are used to having fewer diners on Cozumel day. Theory is that’s why they had Formal night yesterday. Chef has prepared a tuna appetiser for me…. It is divine…. He’s then made me a pasta dish…. All this on top of what I had ordered for starter and main. I’m informed that there are cupcakes again. So I forego dessert…. To be honest there was nothing there I fancied. I eat one cup cake and bring the other back to my room. I give a previous cupcake to my room steward who is in the corridor. There is still melon in the fridge. So the combination of eating too much and sea sickness have combined to send me to bed even earlier than normal.

Tomorrow I have a reservation for the character breakfast at 8am and at 11am the All Access Tour which includes lunch. Hopefully I will feel less nauseous by then!

I have so many pics to upload; please be patient. They may have to wait till my return.... time running out.... thanks for all your lovely comments.... lovely to know that this is being read.

Hi!

We are going on this exact cruise in May; 4 of the 5 of us will be cruising for the first time.

Wonder if you could be so kind as to let us know (maybe a picture?) if there are any external audio/video ports or plugs for the stateroom TV's? I wonder if we can play video or music from our ipods, etc.

Certainly hope you are feeling better soon!

Thanks!

--Bruce

mad-dog - any suggestions for Grand Cayman would be appreciated for when I'm there in May!

The best excursion of our two cruises was with Fat Fish Adventures on GC.:D

We went to Sting Ray City on Jet Skis. Awesome.

We were a group of 50somethings who do not snorkel and they customized the tour to suit us(Bar stop; tour of the brewery.)

The best excursion of our two cruises was with Fat Fish Adventures on GC.:D

We went to Sting Ray City on Jet Skis. Awesome.

We were a group of 50somethings who do not snorkel and they customized the tour to suit us(Bar stop; tour of the brewery.)

That's good to hear as we'll be doing the exact same in 12 days.

On bus heading to Kennedy Space Centre with airport drop off. Debark was a breeze.

Yesterday was amazing doing All Access Tour. Did not log on as have donated enough to Rccl coffers! Not able to comment on TV ports if they exist. Sorry.

Have tons of pics to upload from yesterday. Home tomorrow x

Hello everyone!! Spoke to Linda earlier (she was at the airport awaiting her LONG flight home). What a wonderful surprise. I cried for about 10 minutes while I was hyperventilating. My poor daughter thought I had lost my mind. Blubbering all over some woman she had never met. Anyway, it was a lovely cruise. I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with my BFF.

Someone asked about plugs on the TVs ... no, they are all blocked off and don't work.

I never even noticed the suite seating by the pool.

Linda - welcome back!

I see Michael Rasmussen is still onboard as the Hotel Director :) I had the pleasure of meeting and dining with him last year when we sailed the FOS.

Your pics are wonderful and it looks as if you had a terrific cruise!!

Sorry about the poor quality images...... this is Darren in the Schooner Bar..... very funny man and great musician....

IMG_1558.jpg

This is Quest before the mayhem.... have decided not to post the after pics...

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

As well as getting items from the breakfast menu there is a small buffet in the MDR

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1569.jpg

The chocolate menu!!

IMG_1570.jpg

Mal de debarquement has set in..... I am rolling but the room isn't!!

To continue:

I get focaccia bread!!

IMG_1571.jpg

Today I have plenty of choice

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

We are docked at Cozumel and there are ships still coming in!!

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1577.jpg

This is the ferry to the mainland

IMG_1578.jpg