Just Back...Excursion Reviews

jlb49

We just returned from the Radiance yesterday, and had an awesome time. I used the information on this board for my excursion choices, and they were great. Our weather was unbelievable, with sunshine almost the entire trip. Here is what we did:

1. Juneau - Booked Capt Larry's whale watching. When we got off the ship at about 12:30, one of their reps was waiting for us with our name on a board. Seems as though the Diamond is always late (so far at least) and she wondered if we were interested in going at 1:00pm, instead of 3:30. We were and it was an amazing trip. We saw a pod of about 15 orcas off and on for over an hour. We also saw a humpback, seals, and bald eagles. The trip was spectacular. We were lucky enough to be on the boat with Capt Larry and Dirk, a whale expert from one of the ships. They were both very informative and we really enjoyed the trip.

After the whale watching, we had Capt Larry's take us to Mendenhall Glacier. It was $10 RT, and they picked us up at 6pm to head back to town. The Glacier was great, and we enjoyed learning more about the whole glacier process. When we got back to town, we hit the Red Dog saloon, and enjoyed a beverage before heading back to the ship.

2. Skagway - We rented a car from Sourdough Car rentals. We were in port from 6:30am-7:30pm, so headed off the ship about 9:00am. We picked up a mini van and a sedan (we had 9 of us) and headed to Carcross. I had four 15-18 year old girls in the van with me, and the entire trip up there they were in awe of the scenery. We stopped at several places along the way for pictures and for them to play in the snow. Since we are from Houston, one of the girls had never seen snow...so had to make a snow angel! I know many enjoy the train, but it was great being able to stop and go when we felt like it. We went to Caribou Crossing, which was packed with tour buses. Our main goal was for the kids to see the husky puppies and do a sled ride, and luckily that area wasn't over-run with the bus folks. The girls enjoyed both, and felt like the puppies were a highlight.

We also stopped for lunch at Cinnamon Cache and had a wonderful lunch. We were shocked to get real turkey (not pressed lunch meat) in the sandwiches, and the homemade bread was great. They don't take credit cards, but will take US dollars. After several Kodak moments at Emerald Lake, we stopped in Carcross for just a few minutes...then headed back to Skagway. Arrived back about 3:00pm, in time to wander around the town and visit the Red Onion Saloon. It was packed, so we didn't get stay...but it looked fun.

3. Ketchikan - Unfortunately, the wind had kicked up and our Kayak trip with Southeast Kayaks had to be cancelled. We were all very disappointed, but it was better to be safe. Since I didn't really have a plan B, we headed to the dock and ended up on a Duck Tour. I am not sure I could really recommend it, as the tour was everything that could be done on the walking tour map provided by the Visitors Center. There was no stopping, so places we wanted to see we had to walk back to for a better look (totem poles, salmon hatchery, etc). These were all very close and for an average walker, not far. There were other tours that I found later, that would have included stops at those places. Oh well!

All in all, it was a wonderful trip and both Juneau and Skagway were huge hits with the entire crowd. Thanks so much for all of those on this board who posted their information, which made my choices so much easier!

jb

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences about your shore excursions. Glad you had such great weather. My family will be crusing in a few weeks, and we have booked Capt. Larry too. I do have a question about Mendenhall Glacier after your whale watching. Did you book this in advance, or decide to pick it up at the last minute? Did you leave for Mendenhall from from the boat dock, or from Orca Enterprises offices?

We let the office know before we left for the whale boat that we wanted to go to the Glacier. But, there were several in our group who were unsure, and they were told that they could make the decision when they got back from the whale watching and just pay the $$ to the van driver. We went straight from the whale boat dock to the glacier, which works out great as it is on the way back to town.

I really hope you guys have as great as weather as we did, we couldn't have asked for better.

Have a wonderful time and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions,

jb

Thanks very much for this jlb49, great review! Please may I ask you said "but will take US dollars" - er... what is the currency in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway, and Anchorage (all places we are going!) I thought it was US Dollars?? please excuse my ignorance! Thank you.

Thanks very much for this jlb49, great review! Please may I ask you said "but will take US dollars" - er... what is the currency in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway, and Anchorage (all places we are going!) I thought it was US Dollars?? please excuse my ignorance! Thank you.

Carcross is in Canada. If you go, either by car or on a tour, make sure you have either your passport or driver's license, because you have to go through Canadian and US customs.

Exactly! We were able to use our US currency the entire time when we were in Vancouver and Carcross, Ukon. I am sure we didn't get the best exchange rate, but it was easier than fiddling with changing $$. We used our credit cards as much as possible, to eliminate the hassle.

One note, is that if you use your drivers license, they required your birth certificate. Not sure if that is all the time, but the two in our group that didn't have passports had to have them.

Where did you get to see the husky puppies? We are renting a car and doing the same drive out of Skagway. I would love to see the pups. I am a dog lover big time. Thanks Sharbro

I was there a couple weeks ago, to go to the museum and kennels it is about $10US, my travel mates loved it. the cart ride with kennels and museum is $52ca

http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/

Archived