Hotel Colon vs. Hotel Montecarlo

kat9661

Hi All,

Hope you can stand yet another Barcelona hotel question. After much research I've narrowed our two night pre-cruise stay to the above mentioned hotels. I currently have them both reserved but I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. Both are the same cost.

I would appreciate the thoughts of those who have experience at either or both of these hotels.

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Hi All,

Hope you can stand yet another Barcelona hotel question. After much research I've narrowed our two night pre-cruise stay to the above mentioned hotels. I currently have them both reserved but I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. Both are the same cost.

I would appreciate the thoughts of those who have experience at either or both of these hotels.

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Both are nice hotels

Hotel Montecarlo is on Las Ramblas. Some people like being there, others find it too busy and crowded.

Hotel Colón is in the Gothic Quarter, opposite the cathedral. It is about 5 minutes walk from Las Ramblas.

My personal preference is for the Colón but it depends whether you would rather be on Las Ramblas or near the cathedral.

Carol,

Thank you for your reply. I thought I wanted to be on Las Ramblas for our first trip to Barcelona but the location of the Hotel Colon looks to be lovely near the cathedral. I'm leaning towards the Hotel Colon.

Thanks again!

Carol,

Thank you for your reply. I thought I wanted to be on Las Ramblas for our first trip to Barcelona but the location of the Hotel Colon looks to be lovely near the cathedral. I'm leaning towards the Hotel Colon.

Thanks again!

Good choice IMHO.

To me, Las Ramblas is somewhere I visit while in Barcelona - not somewhere I want to stay.

I do not know New York but I am sure there are similar places there. Famous areas that you go to but would not choose a hotel there. Times Square?

Carol,

Great point and it just confirms Hotel Colon is the hotel for us. I'm from upstate New York but have to agree that Times Square would not be my hotel of choice in NYC.....except for New Years Eve with a view of the ball dropping. :)

When in Rome last year we choose a small hotel with a view of the Pantheon. An incredible sight that I'll never forget. That's what I look for in a hotel.

Thanks for your help. You are a valuable resource for Barcelona!

Carol, your advise is wonderful. Thank you for taking so much time to write on these boards. I just reserved Hotel Colon and now am looking for some private tours. We live 35 minutes north of Times Square, and I wouldn't want to stay there. Way to noisy and hopping for me.

Good choice IMHO.

To me, Las Ramblas is somewhere I visit while in Barcelona - not somewhere I want to stay.

I do not know New York but I am sure there are similar places there. Famous areas that you go to but would not choose a hotel there. Times Square?

Carol...thank you so much for your recommendations on Cruise Critic...because of this, we have booked Hotel Colon...and I know we will love it!

Archived