We Will Never Cruise With RCI Again

I skipped most of the conversation here but everyone has to know that around spring break time, all bags are suspect. The duty free shop couldn't even let purchasers take their liquor on the last night because of some terrible problems with spring breakers. Better safe than sorry, imho.

[quote name='akcruz']The problem is that liquor (something other than wine) is NOT allowed to be brought on. The scanners don't have the capability to say whether the bottles in the bag are wine or liquor so need to be looked at. The only way to do that is to have then opened. Since security cannot do it, you need to go open your bag and have them take a look.

Would it be nice for them to apologize, yes I am sure it would, but I am sure they see plenty of liquor on each and every cruise.

Bottom line, no they did not break the rules, but the bag needed to be checked to ensure they did not.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. In light of some latest posts, this particular OP might be just a pot stirrer. But I think this is where Royal can make an easy improvement to their policy. Why not just specify wine can only come with carry-on luggage? That will cut down on confusion and make security's job easier. Not to mention pot stirrers won't have a leg to lean on.

[quote name='florida lover']On a recent cruise with RCI one of our bags did not show up to our cabin by 7pm so I went to inquire and was told the bag had been "confiscated" because it had alcohol it in. I was then led to a little room by a very unpleasnt employee and instructed to open the bag so they could see what was in it. While several employees stood staring at me I got down on the floor and opened the bag and showed them two bottles of wine. Their published policy allows two bottles of wine per cabin. I was then told ok you can take your bag now (with the wine inside) and I was left to schlep the bag all the way to my cabin. Throughout this episode I was never offered any apology or kind word by any of them.

We are vetern cruisers on many different lines. I'm not at all happy about this encounter and it will be my last RCI cruise.[/quote]

This is correct. They made it clear on the website - 2 bottled per cabin in the carry-on. We saw some people "schelpping" their bags from the 2nd deck "naugty room" to their cabins. They all have one thing in common - a bright "alcohol" sticker.

Unpleasant, yes, but what a story to tell at home :D

[quote name='Dayenu']This is correct. They made it clear on the website - 2 bottled per cabin [B]in the carry-on[/B]. We saw some people "schelpping" their bags from the 2nd deck "naugty room" to their cabins. They all have one thing in common - a bright "alcohol" sticker.

Unpleasant, yes, but what a story to tell at home :D[/quote]

Unless it's a recent change, they say nothing on the website about how you should pack the 2 bottles per cabin.

I agree with the comments that during Spring Break sailings Royal ramps up the bag inspections for any type of alcohol. And remember Spring Break can be from the latter part of February through mid April. So smugglers beware and maybe buy your drinks on board to save yourself a little trouble.

To the OP, ANY wine or alcohol in your checked bags is subject to inspection and a naughty room visit. The fact that you got to keep your wine should have satisfied you since for all security knew you had already brought two bottles on in your carry on bag. Not saying you did, but I am sure it is done. They learn the tricks and probably learn a lot from these boards. It is their job after all.

Had security gone out of their way to be rude to me in the naughty room I would have gone to the Guest Relations and complained when I had the time, or I would have let it go. Everyone handles things differently. I hope you at least had a good time on your cruise.

[SIZE=4]Paul you did it! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]10 whole pages on smuggling "legal" wine in checked luggage, RCI's smug treatment of OP and how she had to lug 50 lbs of luggage, with rollers, in an elevator to her room. Just wondering if yall forgot the subject. LOL LOL:D:D[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]

I'd like to know because I write my stuff for free, but there appears to be a career to be had made makin' stuff up on review boards and I'd like a piece of the action!:D

The best ones are the hotel rooms where they found a "hair" in the bed, impossible to prove/disprove...brilliant! I think you get paid double for those!
(oh and bugs, of course, bugs! Who can say you DIDNT see a bug...unlike the "rude employee" they don't wear nametags)

Guest maddycat
[quote name='maureencruiser']What I find sad is your comment. What are you, married to this guy? What 2 answers were incorrect? The one response about sports mugs was something he asked about. Also, as a "veteran cruiser", he should know enough to check with the cruise line directly, not count on a bunch of strangers. The info is all there on the website. [COLOR=red]He knew the policy and was trying to get away with something. I can almost guarantee you he also did carry on 2 bottles and was bringing 2 extra. He knew the rules and tried to skirt them.[/COLOR] I ain't mad at him! :D But, to quit a cruise line because they followed their stated, written policies :eek: IDIOTIC!!!:D:D[/quote]

That is exactly what I thought. He had 2 bottles of wine in his carry on and was trying to sneak on 2 more in his checked luggage.

[quote name='bmore4now'][SIZE=4]Paul you did it! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]10 whole pages on smuggling "legal" wine in checked luggage, RCI's smug treatment of OP and how she had to lug 50 lbs of luggage, with rollers, in an elevator to her room. Just wondering if yall forgot the subject. LOL LOL:D:D[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

LOL. And isn't it a bit odd that 185 replies later, there is not one from the OP? He/She is just trolling and stirring up the waters, and is probably one of those posters that gets satisfaction by seeing how many times his/her post is viewed or replied to. Yet then there's people like us that continue to comment and keep this inane thread going!

Guest maddycat
[quote name='avatheps']I guess I will chime in here and help make the 7 pages happen. At least 3 pages have posted since I started reading this thread. I have not taken my first cruise yet, but in preparation for it have learned many tips and tricks here on CC to make my cruise more enjoyable and with far fewer problems. One of the very first things I learned was not to try and bring my wine onboard except in my carryon. I even went so far as to discard my rum runners which I had purchased to sneak in some more wine in my checked baggage. If I do get sent to the naughty room it will be for an honest mistake and I will not make a big deal of it and ruin my or my DW's whole cruise. [COLOR=red]If I unexpectedly encounter a rude, crude or obnoxious ship's staff member I will have no problem addressing that issue then and there whilst maintaining my usual charming demeanor.[/COLOR][/quote]

You will not encounter any [I][B]rude, crude or obnoxious ship's staff members[/B][/I] on the Explore. We love the Explorer's crew. They're wonderful....very friendly and accommondating.

I've been searched due to a couple of "liquor bottle-shaped" body lotions! I'd much rather open my own luggage for them to check the
item(s) in question, than have them cut the lock or rip up my suitcase....(now THERE'S something to be upset about!)

Sorry, but nobody deserves an apology for RCCL employees doing their jobs. C'mon now, are REALLY angry because you weren't greeted with SMILE? Mad 'cause no one dragged your bags back to the cabin
for you? :confused: Those are the breaks. Pulleeeeeze...grow up. Switching cruise lines won't help you, if the problem is really your attitude OP.

[quote name='webteach']I skipped most of the conversation here but everyone has to know that around spring break time, all bags are suspect. The duty free shop couldn't even let purchasers take their liquor on the last night because of some terrible problems with spring breakers. Better safe than sorry, imho.[/quote]

Sorry, serious CC'ers are not allowed to "skip most of the conversation" in threads...you are required to go back to the first comment and read all 30 pages of the thread. LOL
There will be a quiz at the end ;)

Absolutely NO reason for employees to treat the guest badly! And, they should have offered to take the bag to their room.

Always amazes me when people want to blame the victim. If it is published that guests can bring the wine, they should also publish it that guidelines require it be carried on. Guest should NOT have to check other websites (CC or others) to find out the guidelines.

Even if it was other alcohol, still NO reason to treat a paying guest badly. They may be doing their job, but that is NO reason to be rude!

[quote name='tgnorton']Even if it was other alcohol, still [COLOR=red]NO reason to treat a paying guest badly[/COLOR]. They may be doing their job, but that is NO reason to be [COLOR=red]rude[/COLOR]![/quote]

Err, for the record, we have only OP's side of the story. Have you read the entire thread?

[quote name='tgnorton']Always amazes me when people want to blame the victim. If it is published that guests can bring the wine, they should also publish it that guidelines require it be carried on.[/quote]

They should publish that, if it is a requirement, but it's not a requirement. What the outside website, such as CC, is good for is for helpful tips, such as advice that it is [B]better[/B] to carry it on, because otherwise it could get flagged as suspicious, when your checked baggage is scanned.

Oh, and I don't think there's much "blaming the victim" going on here, because 1) most people are not really blaming the OP, but suggesting that it's a bit of an overreaction, and 2) it's a stretch to consider the OP a "victim" based on the facts of what happened.

[quote name='labeachcomber']LOL. And isn't it a bit odd that 185 replies later, there is not one from the OP? He/She is just trolling and stirring up the waters, and is probably one of those posters that gets satisfaction by seeing how many times his/her post is viewed or replied to. Yet then there's people like us that continue to comment and keep this inane thread going![/quote]

[SIZE=4]AMEN to that! I need to get a life. :D:D:D:cool:[/SIZE]

[quote name='Paul65']They should publish that, if it is a requirement, but it's not a requirement. What the outside website, such as CC, is good for is for helpful tips, such as advice that it is [B]better[/B] to carry it on, because otherwise it could get flagged as suspicious, when your checked baggage is scanned.[/QUOTE]

While I may not be "normal" I have new evidence suggesting the OP might be. :eek:

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']Err, for the record, we have only OP's side of the story. Have you read the entire thread?[/quote]

Hi, yes, you are right. I saw lots of people blaming it on the guest (saying the guest should have read it here, etc.) and no other response from OP...

My point is, that there are times when there is bad service and it's ok to report that here (but as also pointed out, it should have been reported to Guest Services immediately). OP appeared to be dramatic with "never go on RCI again".

Hope that OP ended up with a better cruise experience after the bad start (even if only in the OP head).

[SIZE=3]Back to page 5, for those that skipped![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][I]"Hey, you can always sail Carnival. They don't have time to stalk people's luggage, they are too busy paddling the ship to the next port! LOL LOL :) :)........ Dang, I was being "naughty" again! Sorry! :)[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE] "

[quote name='bmore4now'][SIZE=3]Back to page 5, for those that skipped![/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][I]"Hey, you can always sail Carnival. They don't have time to stalk people's luggage, they are too busy paddling the ship to the next port! LOL LOL :) :)........ Dang, I was being "naughty" again! Sorry! :)[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE] "[/quote]

[B][I][SIZE=4]FOR SHAME!!! :eek: LOL[/SIZE][/I][/B]

[quote name='Paul65']I guess you never grew up with the "Beer before liquor . . . " rhyme. :D Don't know if there really any truth to the rhyme, but all us [U]normal[/U] people make a distinction between liquor and fermented (not distilled) beverages like beer and wine. :p[/quote][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]So where does MALT LIQUOR fit in?:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Paul65']I guess you never grew up with the "Beer before liquor . . . " rhyme. :D Don't know if there really any truth to the rhyme, but all us [U]normal[/U] people make a distinction between liquor and fermented (not distilled) beverages like beer and wine. :p[/quote]

I can't remember the way this goes - I remember the beer before liquor, but can't remember the second line... "wine before ???" or something like that. ;)

11 pages - lol

Archived