Avoiding Thanksgiving Cruises

jtwanabe

I've always gone a bout a month early because it's a little warmer coming back and I worry about to many children on a Thanksgiving cruise. IT's also about what 40% higher cost.

Has anyone been on a Thanksgiving cruise and how would you compare it to

say one in October.

My family did the Carnival Valor Thanksgiving 2011. The ship was at maximum occupancy. If a room could hold four it had four people in it. They announced that they were sitting on the max number the ship could sail. However it never felt any more crowded. There were no long lines and you could find chairs on sea days. There were a lot of children on board. That being said of all my cruises I saw the least bad behavior by kids. Most of the kids were with large family groups and I think this provided more supervision. The cruise had 4 port days so I am sure this helped as everyone was off the ship those days. My recommendation is if you can sail another week then I would. If you can only sail that week then don't hesitate you will still have a great time. I am planning to sail again this Thanksgiving on another family cruise!

We've done two Thanksgiving cruises...one on Carnival and one on Hal...both were great cruises...mainly because we were with all of the family:):):) I really didn't notice a lot of kids on either cruise.

If it was just the two of us sailing I would pick the week after Thanksgiving...which is actually a great time to cruise!

We cruised the Thanksgiving Week in 2012. We schedule our cruises around my daughter's school break. It was a great cruise, didn't feel like there were more people than usual.

This year we decided not to cruise the week of Thanksgiving for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that cruising Thanksgiving threw off my mojo in getting ready for Christmas. By the time we returned and settled, I was out looking for Christmas trees and trying to catch up on shopping. I felt rushed this Christmas because of it. In 2013, Thanksgiving week starts 11/24 and ends the 12/1, very late in the season and about 3 weeks before Christmas.

This year (and in 2011) we are cruising the first week of November, my DD has a few days off for teacher's convention and the weather should be nicer at that time, too.

The only problem with cruising in October is fear of Atlantic hurricanes.

We cruised on the Elation for Thanksgiving 2011. The ship sailed at Maximum Capacity. It did feel crowded. I don't remember whether or not there were a ton of kids.

It was probably our least enjoyable cruise to date. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, but the crowds onboard detracted from the overall experience. We were on Elation again in Nov 2012 (not Thanksgiving) and it was much better!!

I've always gone a bout a month early because it's a little warmer coming back and I worry about to many children on a Thanksgiving cruise. IT's also about what 40% higher cost.

Has anyone been on a Thanksgiving cruise and how would you compare it to

say one in October.

My parents took all of us on a Thanksgiving Cruise in 2001. One the Inspiration. It worked into everyones schedule since most of us only had to take 3 days off work for that week. (Since we were already off Thursday and Friday)

It was crowded, but I didn't notice it being any more crowded than any other ship. I thought it was great, because our whole family was there and how many other families get to brag about being on a catamaran in the Caribbean on Thanksgiving?

I recommend it, especially if you have your whole family with you. And you get your picture made with pilgrims. (Were pilgrims from the Phillipines?)

We haved done a few during Thanksgiving

I noticed more kids but also more multigenerational familes

Usually early seating in MDR is tough to get

Use to do Halloween time frame but with the hurricanes still playing around with itineraries we cruise later in the year

Archived