How would I accomplish this?

bling19572010

We will be in Bermuda on Sunday, May 7th and I would like to take the ferry over to St. George's; ride the trolley train around St. George's; do a little shopping. How would I get from St. George's to Warwick Bay in order to walk the trail from Warwick to Horseshoe and then back to the pier before the ship leaves at 6:00 PM that same day?

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]What cruise ship are you on? And have you joined the roll call yet?

Based on the 2012 ferry schedule, there is no ferry service Dockyard <> St George on Sunday. The new schedule will be out the first week in April.

Since you only have one day, my suggestion would be to hire a "blue flag" taxi and work up the itinerary with the diver/guide.

Most of the stores are closed on Sunday in St George and Hamilton.

There is a thread at this forum titled [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1198339"][I]Bermuda private guides[/I][/URL] which will provide names, member comments on many of the popular drivers and contact info.

[I]SBtS[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Are you sure about your dates and days of the week? May 7 is a Tuesday, not a Sunday. The Norwegian Dawn and Grandeur of the Seas arrive in Bermuda on Sunday May 5, and depart on Tuesday May 7. Are you on one of those cruises?

There's been no weekend ferry service between Dockyard and St. George's for several years. Perhaps there will be service this year if the government goes through with leasing a ferry for the Dockyard - St. George's route as has has been announced, but I think we'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the summer ferry schedule comes out before we'll know with certainty.

If you do get to St. George's, you will need to take two buses in order to travel from there to Warwick Long Bay. First you'll need to take a #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton and then transfer to a #7 to Warwick Long Bay. You would then take a #7 back to Dockyard at the end of your trip.

Please note that bus service is greatly reduced on Sundays, so you really need to keep a close watch on your time. There may be a new bus schedule in place soon, but here's a link to last published schedule:

[url]http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf[/url]

Frankly, Sunday is not a good day to attempt this trip, given the reduced public transit schedules, particularly if your ship will be departing that day.

[quote name='njhorseman']Are you sure about your dates and days of the week? May 7 is a Tuesday, not a Sunday. The Norwegian Dawn and Grandeur of the Seas arrive in Bermuda on Sunday May 5, and depart on Tuesday May 7. Are you on one of those cruises?

There's been no weekend ferry service between Dockyard and St. George's for several years. Perhaps there will be service this year if the government goes through with leasing a ferry for the Dockyard - St. George's route as has has been announced, but I think we'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the summer ferry schedule comes out before we'll know with certainty.

If you do get to St. George's, you will need to take two buses in order to travel from there to Warwick Long Bay. First you'll need to take a #1, 3, 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton and then transfer to a #7 to Warwick Long Bay. You would then take a #7 back to Dockyard at the end of your trip.

Please note that bus service is greatly reduced on Sundays, so you really need to keep a close watch on your time. There may be a new bus schedule in place soon, but here's a link to last published schedule:

[URL]http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf[/URL]

Frankly, Sunday is not a good day to attempt this trip, given the reduced public transit schedules, particularly if your ship will be departing that day.[/quote]

Sorry....I'm trying to multi-task here and I'm not doing a very good job!! We will be on the Grandeur of the Seas and in port from Sunday, May 5th at 3:00 PM to Tuesday, May 7th until 6:00 PM.

I'm wanting to do this itinerary in my original post on Tuesday, May 7th.

Thank you!!

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=Green]So it would be on departure day, Tuesday, 5/7.

You could take the ferry to St George, shop, e[SIZE=4]tc.;[/SIZE] and then take a taxi from SG to Warwick Bay.

Do the walk from WB to Horseshoe Bay. From the prior arrangement with your taxi driver, he will meet you at HSB in the parking lot to take you back to the Dockyard.

If you wish to do this itinerary, going to the other side of the island on departure day, it is possible for some unforeseen event to happen which will cause you to miss the departure :eek:. Can you handle that?

[SIZE=4]I would opt to do this on Monday and do[SIZE=4], maybe[SIZE=4], the beach walk on Tuesday. JMHO[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

SBtS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='bling19572010']Sorry....I'm trying to multi-task here and I'm not doing a very good job!! We will be on the Grandeur of the Seas and in port from Sunday, May 5th at 3:00 PM to Tuesday, May 7th until 6:00 PM.

I'm wanting to do this itinerary in my original post on Tuesday, May 7th.

Thank you!![/QUOTE]

OK...on Tuesday there should be ferry service from Dockyard to St. George's...but we'll still have to wait a bit before the 2013 summer schedule is published.

From there, my directions still stand...but buses and ferries will be on their weekday schedule, with more frequent service than on Sundays. Just keep an eye out for a revised bus schedule too...they've been talking about revising it for some time now.

Because you're departing Bermuda on that day be sure to leave plenty of leeway in your schedule. You'll be going from one end of the island to another, and there will be a lot of people who will want to do the same thing you will...get back to Dockyard from the beach to catch their departing ship.

I agree with SBtS about doing this trip on Monday, and not traveling that far from the ship on departure day.

[quote name='SailBadtheSinner'][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][SIZE=4][COLOR=green]So it would be on departure day, Tuesday, 5/7. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=4][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]You could take the ferry to St George, shop, e[SIZE=4]tc.;[/SIZE] and then take a taxi from SG to Warwick Bay.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]Do the walk from WB to Horseshoe Bay. From the prior arrangement with your taxi driver, he will meet you at HSB in the parking lot to take you back to the Dockyard.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]If you wish to do this itinerary, going to the other side of the island on departure day, it is possible for some unforeseen event to happen which will cause you to miss the departure :eek:. Can you handle that?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green][SIZE=4]I would opt to do this on Monday and do[SIZE=4], maybe[SIZE=4], the beach walk on Tuesday. JMHO[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=green]SBtS[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Oh....good point. I would probably be stressed the whole time that I was doing this itinerary and not enjoying myself. Thank you so much for pointing that out!!

[quote name='njhorseman']OK...on Tuesday there should be ferry service from Dockyard to St. George's...but we'll still have to wait a bit before the 2013 summer schedule is published.

From there, my directions still stand...but buses and ferries will be on their weekday schedule, with more frequent service than on Sundays. Just keep an eye out for a revised bus schedule too...they've been talking about revising it for some time now.

Because you're departing Bermuda on that day be sure to leave plenty of leeway in your schedule. You'll be going from one end of the island to another, and there will be a lot of people who will want to do the same thing you will...get back to Dockyard from the beach to catch their departing ship.

I agree with SBtS about doing this trip on Monday, and not traveling that far from the ship on departure day.[/quote]

Thank you!

I second that suggestion. St. George is a great place but being so far from the ship, you would be thinking about get back the entire time. Make the trip to St. George on Monday. We will be there on the July 26th sailing of the Dawn. We are planing on doing Horseshoe Bay and Gibbs Lighthouse on Sunday after arrival. St. George and the area around on Monday, and hoping to rent a small motor boat on Tuesday in Somerset and poke around the island for about four hours in the boat. Have never done the rental boat before. Sounded interesting to us.

Archived