Triumph and Sunshine News

MIAMI (March 19, 2013) – Carnival Cruise Lines has announced the first implementation phase of its fleetwide comprehensive operational review, focused on Carnival Triumph, as well as Carnival Sunshine, which is currently undergoing a previously scheduled dry dock for product enhancements. The cruise line is making significant investments to enhance the level of operating redundancies and the scope of hotel services that can run on emergency power, and further improve each ship’s fire prevention, detection and suppression systems.

Given the necessary lead time to source needed materials and implement the enhancements, Carnival will extend the current out-of-service period for these two ships.

Carnival Triumph will now return to service on June 3, 2013, with a total of 10 additional cruises being canceled. Guests on the affected voyages will receive a full refund, reimbursement for non-refundable transportation costs and a 25 percent discount on a future four- to five-day cruise.

Carnival Sunshine, which is currently undergoing a multi-week dry dock to complete a comprehensive full-ship makeover, will now enter service May 5, 2013, following the cancellation of two European cruises. Guests on the canceled Carnival Sunshine voyages will receive a full refund, plus reimbursement for any non-refundable travel costs. Additionally, they will receive a 25 percent discount on a future cruise. The additional time out of service will allow for implementation of the enhanced operating redundancies and other measures.

“We sincerely regret canceling these cruises and disrupting our guests’ vacation plans,” said Gerry Cahill, Carnival Cruise Lines’ president and CEO. “We are fully committed to applying the recommendations stemming from our fleetwide review and to make whatever investments are needed despite the difficult decision to impact people’s vacations.”

Cahill continued, “Our team of experts has worked virtually around the clock to determine the best set of solutions and rapidly develop an effective implementation plan for both of these ships. Moving forward, we will have the ability to source materials and schedule improvements much more expediently, thus minimizing the scheduling impact on other vessels.

“I would like to provide continued assurances that all of our vessels have fully effective safety systems, equipment and training in place. Additionally, our ships receive regular inspections from the United States Coast Guard and other regulatory authorities. The changes we are implementing are focused primarily on improvements to better support continued power and hotel services should unexpected issues arise. In addition, we are applying new learnings and making enhancements in the area of fire suppression and extinguishing. Going forward, the review will focus on the balance of our fleet. While this process will take time, it is our highest priority and has the full support and resources of Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corporation,” Cahill said.

Carnival Triumph operates year-round four- and five-day Mexico cruises from Galveston, Texas. Four-day cruises depart Thursdays and visit Cozumel while five-day cruises depart Mondays and Saturdays and call at Cozumel and Progreso, Mexico.

Carnival Sunshine is scheduled to operate a series of nine- and 12-day Mediterranean cruises May 5 to Oct. 20, 2013, either round-trip from Barcelona or sailing between Barcelona and Venice. The ship will sail on a 16-day trans-Atlantic crossing from Barcelona to New Orleans Nov. 1-17, positioning the vessel for a special six-day Caribbean cruise departing Nov. 18 followed by the launch of year-round seven-day Caribbean service from New Orleans Nov. 24, 2013.

Guests on impacted voyages may contact their travel agent or 1-800-CARNIVAL for assistance.

more canceled cruises, wonder how many people will be unhappy now

Seriously? People are all b*tching that Carnival needs to improve their maintenance, etc and when they do that, people complain. I guess it is correct that some people are never happy.

I have read so many threads on this board about how Carnival needs to step up to the plate and take care of their maintenance and when they do, people still complain. How do you expect them to do the work and take care of the issues without cancelling a few cruises?

I applaud Carnival for stepping up and doing what everyone seems to be screaming for. While I would not be happy if they cancelled my cruise in October, I sure would understand if they were doing it so what happened with the Triumph did not happen to another ship.

Wonder what happens when the head cheerleader gets their cruise cancelled because of Carnival's poor maintenance procedures. Guess we'll find out.

Nowhere did it say anything that they were doing this because of poor maintenance procedures. What a huge leap you have made. In fact, if you will check you will see that no report has said any such thing. In fact, the problem with the Dream happened during routine maintenance.

“I would like to provide continued assurances that all of our vessels have fully effective safety systems, equipment and training in place. Additionally, our ships receive regular inspections from the United States Coast Guard and other regulatory authorities. The changes we are implementing are focused primarily on improvements to better support continued power and hotel services should unexpected issues arise. In addition, we are applying new learnings and making enhancements in the area of fire suppression and extinguishing. Going forward, the review will focus on the balance of our fleet. While this process will take time, it is our highest priority and has the full support and resources of Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corporation,” Cahill said.

While the cheerleaders are not great, people that make up things are worse! And if you want to say it is a fact, then by all means reference some report that states Carnival has poor maintenance procedures.

Thanks for posting the message. It is good to see that Carnival is committed toward being proactive on improving the maintenance of their ships. While things have certainly been rough lately, I think it is quite possible that in 12-18 months Carnival will have some of the safest ships on the seas with these changes.

A betting man would have booked the first scheduled Triumph cruise because now you would have had a 25% discount on a future cruise. If I wasn't going out of the country, I would have.

I knew there was no way they would be done in April, they couldn't finish the Splendor on time and the damage was not as extensive.

Wonder what happens when the head cheerleader gets their cruise cancelled because of Carnival's poor maintenance procedures. Guess we'll find out.

This was my first thought as well!

I tried to do a mock booking for the May 5 sailing to see if people who wanted to be on the inaugural could still book, and there didn't seem to be any availability. (I checked all categories with either 1 or 2 people.)

Maggie

Seriously? People are all b*tching that Carnival needs to improve their maintenance, etc and when they do that, people complain. I guess it is correct that some people are never happy.

I have read so many threads on this board about how Carnival needs to step up to the plate and take care of their maintenance and when they do, people still complain. How do you expect them to do the work and take care of the issues without cancelling a few cruises?

I applaud Carnival for stepping up and doing what everyone seems to be screaming for. While I would not be happy if they cancelled my cruise in October, I sure would understand if they were doing it so what happened with the Triumph did not happen to another ship.

My thoughts exactly. The people who complain that Carnival is soooo substandard and soooo unsafe will be the same people who will criticize this move.

I couldn't agree with you more.

esp on this website :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. The people who complain that Carnival is soooo substandard and soooo unsafe will be the same people who will criticize this move.

I couldn't agree with you more.

probably are all the same ones who are all talk on the internet and will still sail them because their cheaper prices :rolleyes:;)

Archived