Why should I cruise on Regent?

hmh60

If I were a betting person I would bet against you. When a ship has a problem, it is known by upper management -- that is where the direction comes from. Franck Galzy is the G.M. sent to the ships when they are going to be refurbished and sees them through the process. He apparently is the one who sets the standard for GM's on Regent. They need a seasoned General Manager -- one who knows exactly how Regent is suppose to be run -- not a "newbie".

IMO, the Navigator is too small for the number of suites on the ship. Silversea has two ships the size of the Navigator. They hold a maximum of 383 passengers while the Navigator holds 490. I suspect that there are not enough crew quarters to accommodate the number of crew members needed to run the ship efficiently.

If you read reviews of the Navigator going back 3+ years, they are dramatically worse than they are now.

To get back on topic ......... Franck Galzy was G.M. on the Mariner for quite a while and is now G.M. on the Voyager (when he isn't on vacation:-) Both ships run very well. The issues of slow service in Compass Rose on some nights is well documented and there is not much than can be done about it that has not already been done.

LindaM -- it's nice that you enjoy the Navigator...... but, until you sail on other Regent ships, it is difficult to understand how much better the experience can be.

I wish I knew how to highlight, because I would highlight your first sentence....talk about harsh. Actually, downright rude!! I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't intend it that way!

I cannot find on Mariner or Voyager an aft covered deck with upholstered couches. Where are they, as you said they were??? We probably will sail on them someday.....some of those prices for business air and last minute cruises are pretty enticing. Our only issue is we have been to most of those ports, except in the mid and far east. We will probably sail in Australia!

We will sail Navigator next on the San. Fran to Miami (Panama Canal)---but not anytime soon. We had such a good experience in March 2012 that we booked April 2013. We have other options for travel, including trying river cruises and waiting for the Viking ships to come out. I am not sure Oceania would work for us, as I don't like layout of the smaller ships and the larger ones are too large for us.

It is too bad that Regent isn't going to get a GM to clean up the lackluster service issues. That would be an easy one to fix.

LindaM: No matter how many times I read that sentence, it is neither rude nor harsh. I simply would bet against you. After all, there are two sides to that opinion. Also, to my knowledge, I did not say there was "an aft covered deck with upholstered couches" on the Mariner and Voyager. I said there were forward and aft lounges on the ships (with access to the outside). I truly do not know what they have outside on the aft decks as we are always in the Observation Lounge in the front of the ship. There must be something to be said for forward lounges because when we went to Alaska and through the Panama Canal on the Mariner you could not get a seat in the Observation Lounge.

You seem to love the Navigator -- and, since that is the case, enjoy it! Debating an issue is good but there is nothing further to debate regarding the Navigator. There are many people (some on this thread) that love her. There are also people who will no longer sail on the Navigator. We would sail on her if the itinerary was unique and the seas in the area were not known to be rough.

The Mariner has wicker furniture with upholstered cushions on the covered deck behind the Horizon Lounge. It is very nice there with good bar service. I would attach a photo if I knew how.

Thank you!! I saw a deck there, but didn't know it was covered. I am obsessed with back, covered decks---that is what caused us to sail Regent when we saw it on a travel show. I can't think of another cruiseline that has one.

Archived