The beach at the Ritz

RYPERO

Is the beach at the Ritz open to the pulic, and if so is there a cost?

HAL Zuiderdam 7/03/04 Honeymoon cruise
Carnival Pride 2/08/04
Carnival Pride 2/03
Inspiration 1/02
Ecstasy 5/01

We spent an afternoon there on our March cruise, you can use it free, all beaches are public, and you can use the loungers and order drinks and snacks for cash, tell the waiters you are a day use person. Covers for the loungers are by the rear walkway at the back of the beach. Here's the link to our photos of the place, it's great:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca"]http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca[/url]

How far is this beach from the port? It looks really nice!

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02
Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03
Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03
Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03
Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04
Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04
Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05
Serenade of the Seas ~ 7/10/05

Thanks Bob7

Did you take a cab and if yes about what was the cost. Also do you know if they rent snokel equiptment there. Once again thanks for the pics and info.

HAL Zuiderdam 7/03/04 Honeymoon cruise
Carnival Pride 2/08/04
Carnival Pride 2/03
Inspiration 1/02
Ecstasy 5/01

Imm, it's at the far end of the island, at Red Hook, see reply below:

Rypero, it's a $9 p.p. cab, couple bucks less if there are 4 of ya. I dug out the resort brochure we picked up when we were there, and yes they list snorkeling, windsurfing, parasailing, scuba, sunfish sailing, kayaking, and deep sea fishing. They also have a cat parked there for day sailing. You can get to their web site from the main Ritz site: [url="http://www.ritzcarlton.com"]www.ritzcarlton.com[/url] and order a brochure. They make a killer rum drink, 4 kinds of Cruzan rum, called a Cruzan Commotion I think, $9, very nice buzz. There are 2 nice beaches connected by a walkway, but more ammenties at the beach closer to the resort.

Bob,

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing them. I see that you went to Sapphire Beach as well as the Ritz. Which one did you like better? They both look very beautiful.

At the Ritz, did you have to pay to use their pool? Thanks for your help, Beth

<font color="darkred">
RCCL Serenade Of The Seas 11/27/04 CAN'T WAIT!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;27;22;10;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until I'm sailing in the Southern Caribbean!
RCCL Sovereign Of The Seas 01/19/04
NCL Majesty Wedding & Honeymoon Cruise 10/05/03
Big Red Boat 02/92
<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/gypsyobrn">My Cruise Webshot Pictures

[This message was edited by GypsyOBRN on 06-09-04 at 07:09 PM.]

Hi Gypsy, thx for the kind words. We weren't at Sapphire, that's our friend's shot (and crappy huh? :-) They said it was lovely, but no shade, but another cruiser posted that there is a place where you can drag your chairs under a few trees. And it's a longer beach than the Ritz, so if you like to take long walks along the beach, you'd be going back and forth about a dozen times at the Ritz :-)

Pool use is a mystery. They sell a $20/couple day resort fee, but when we asked if it included the pool, she shrugged and said she didn't know :-/ So we said no to the fee, and just walked down to their beach. We could have sat at the pool, no one cared, or had any ID bands on, and the servers were attentive and great. Other cruisers have posted that they went there and just walked in and used the pool. I think it's so far from the port that they don't get many non-hotel guests.

Another nice looking beach and resort is the Emerald Beach Resort, and a local told us there was no fee for cruisers to use the pool and beach, and could order drinks/snacks for cash. It's closer, a $6 p.p. cab. We plan to try it next time. Here's their link:
[url="http://www.emeraldbeach.com"]www.emeraldbeach.com[/url] We tried emailing them but didn't get a reply.
Oh, and Wendy says that drink is called a Cruzan Confusion, not the name I posted. Jeez ya don't suppose it gave me brain damage!!??
Oh, and Bolongo Bay Resort (not as fancy) has $15 day passes, the Wyndham (fancy) has $75 p.p. passes (ya right), and the Renaissance Grand Beach Resort does not allow day use.
-Bob
[img]http://community.webshots.com/s/image9/1/28/68/120712868xXcgOi_ph.jpg[/img]

[This message was edited by Bob7 on 06-09-04 at 07:47 PM.]

• 1 month later...
Yes Honeybee you can do both in a day, if you shop in Havensight instead of going to town, same shops, same prices, for half a day, then the Ritz for the other half. It's about a 20 minute cab ride, $9 p.p., and lots of cabs at the hotel, or the door man will call for one.
-Bob

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Bob7']We spent an afternoon there on our March cruise, you can use it free, all beaches are public, and you can use the loungers and order drinks and snacks for cash, tell the waiters you are a day use person. Covers for the loungers are by the rear walkway at the back of the beach. Here's the link to our photos of the place, it's great:
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca"]http://community.webshots.com/user/rob42ca[/url][/QUOTE]

Did the Ritz Carlton realize that you were not a guest staying on property? Most of the Ritz Carltons do not allow any kind of day guests to use the facilities other than having lunch. We are frequent guests of various Ritz Carltons and I emailed the Ritz in St Thomas and inquired about getting a day room or paying to be guest for the day and the manager e mailed me back that they do not have any kind of program like this here. She informed me that the hotel is for paying guests only and if I wanted to use the pool, chairs, etc. I would have to pay to rent a room or I welcome to come visit and simply have lunch. I don't mind paying $20 per person for the day if the program is available.

You can use the beach at Ritz for free as all beaches in the VI are public. The property around the beach, the land, can be and in most cases is privately owned. Beaches with resorts on them either allow non-guests to use their main road to get to the beach or they have a public road access. The Ritz has a public road access just passed their main entrance; there are a few parking spots at the end of the road. The beach you access immediately is Bluebeards Beach the location of the Ritz villas and a short walk to the smaller Ritz beach in front of the resort itself.

Most of the resorts in the USVI do not promote/allow non-guests to use their facilities with the exception of bars/restaurants, paying to rent chairs or renting watersports equip. and perhaps paying to use the tennis courts. This includes the Ritz, Marriott, Wyndham, Westin, Secret Harbor...

Now whether they (security guards, staff, beach attendants...) can tell you aren't a guest and whether they question you is another question.

--Islander
Vinow.com

Thanks. I realize that the beaches are public, it's the same here in Florida. The Ritz Carlton Beach Resort here in Naples is right next to a public beach. You can bring your chairs and sit by the Ritz, which we do so we can have lunch at their restaurant and get drinks at their bar. They however do not want you to use the pool or their bathrooms (unless you're at the restaurant at the time) nor can you rent chair there. I was just questioning since people say they have used the facilities there for the day and sometimes pay the $20 resort charge. A lot of the Ritz Carltons, as well as other resorts have this type of charge, but it's for hotel guests not non guests. WE're staying at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan the night prior to our cruise and they have a resort charge there that gets added to our room charge. This is to pay for the gym, chairs, etc. Just another way to add charges on!

• 4 weeks later...
The towels are for hotel guests - but yes they are there.

Marriott does not allow use of their facilities. They do have a few really nice restaurants/bars for having lunch or a refreshing drink. You can rent chairs and watersports items if you are interested.

--Islander
VInow.com

My husband and I visited the Ritz in 2003 (Christmas time). Took a taxi from the ship ($20 with tip for 2). When we arrived, they told the taxi driver that they could not admit any more non-guest on their beach! After going back and forth, the taxi driver convinced them to let us in...no fee...beach was lovely, used their towels, ate the fruit that they served, bought an overly expensive drink, and left. Actaully, the beach was empty and the few people that were there, didn't even smile...it was boring and not worth it.

We also have been to Moringside (last Christmas). Nice beach, not too crowded. Chairs cost $10 to rent and some were in bad condition, but we did like it better than Sapphire beach (too crowded). Yes, there are palm trees if you walk down the beach but the drivers take most people to Megans or Sapphire. Hope some of this helps.

Too many cruises to count!

Archived