Secrets of the Glory

shellsd

Hi All,

I will soon be sailing on the Glory. I am new to Carnival and have only cruised once when I won a 7 day cruise on Princess 12 years ago.

I am a bit research crazy :) and would love to add any special tips or places to my documents. Please share your Glory secrets or special places with me! (That sounds a bit naughty!).

Thank you!!!!!

If it matters, I'll be mid ship on Empress deck doing western Caribbean.

I am sure I will think of some others. First thing I can think of is make sure you get a breakfast burrito. They are delicious. Say hi to Ioana and Alex for me at Alchemy! They are great bartenders.

The deli is delish and a favorite of ours. Now that the ship is renovated big time, Guys Burgers I hear is a big hit!!! I look forward to WARM CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE every night!!! Yum!! We will be on the Glory in October!!:)

Edited by GRANNYOFSIX

Hi All,

I will soon be sailing on the Glory. I am new to Carnival and have only cruised once when I won a 7 day cruise on Princess 12 years ago.

I am a bit research crazy :) and would love to add any special tips or places to my documents. Please share your Glory secrets or special places with me! (That sounds a bit naughty!).

Thank you!!!!!

If it matters, I'll be mid ship on Empress deck doing western Caribbean.

It's not unique to the Glory but to CCL in general...they have excellent Indian food for dinner in the MDR. Just as we found Princess to do Italian well...

I can second the breakfast burritos at the Blue Iguana Cantina. The guys who work there were very friendly. The ship is big and I would suggest printing a map of the ship and taking it with you so you can find some of not so obvious spots on the ship.

If you do try the fish and chips maybe try asking them to drain the oil before dropping them in the basket. The fries were nothing special but the fish was tasty except I found it a little oily since it seems the cook just took them from the fryer straight to the plate.

The alchemy bar is a nice spot to hang out in the afternoon while waiting for dinner.

On my cruise the piano bar didn't have much of a crowd. I wish it was better.

Getting on and off the ship went very smooth, the crew was friendly and hard working. You will have a great time.

I am another fan of the breakfast burritos. There never was a line either.

One night they had samples from Cucina del Capitano (which is not on the ship) one night at the Taste Bar. It sold me because on our next cruise, there is a Cucina del Capitano. It made a good appetizer before dinner. They had announced it in the Fun Times.

There is a hot tub located in the gym. When we went, no one was there. And the hot tubs outside get too windy if the ship is moving.

The Serenity area is very nice - all the way forward on the top 2 decks. On sea days you can get sandwiches at the Serenity bar for lunch - I thought the shrimp salad was tasty.

LOVE the Glory....going on her for the 4th time in 53 Days!!!!! The crew are great. I enjoyed walking on the track around the whale tail at about 5 a.m....nice and quiet...watch the sunrise. Absolutely amazing!

• 1 month later...

My first cruise last month was on Glory!

Things I discovered:

- The breakfast burritos are indeed tasty and a shorter line than the main buffet. Guy's burgers are delicious but greasy! (No surprise I'm sure!)

- Walk all the way forward on most decks (6+), there will be an unmarked door that will open out to the forward observation decks. Most people don't know about this so it is quiet and a great place to watch the sunset.

- The fish and chips bar upstairs is tasty and quiet. Even if you don't like fish and chips, sit upstairs and you'll almost always find a table close to the main buffet.

Ever look at all the different entree selections in the MDR menu and wish you could sample a bit of everything? Well you can! (Sort of... and no, I don't mean telling your waiter "one of each, please!"). The MDR entrees often have some overlap with what is being served at the Red Sail (Lido). So go up there, have a look around, sample things, and then head to the MDR for late dining!

I eventually developed a routine. At 5:30, I'd swing by the Taste Bar (deck 5) to see if they were sampling anything. Then I'd head up to Lido and check out the buffet, soups and desserts. Then, when I finally went into the Platinum Dining Room at 8:15pm, I had a better idea what to order. And if I really liked some things... I knew where I could go to get more! :D

I can second the breakfast burritos at the Blue Iguana Cantina. The guys who work there were very friendly. The ship is big and I would suggest printing a map of the ship and taking it with you so you can find some of not so obvious spots on the ship.

If you do try the fish and chips maybe try asking them to drain the oil before dropping them in the basket. The fries were nothing special but the fish was tasty except I found it a little oily since it seems the cook just took them from the fryer straight to the plate.

The alchemy bar is a nice spot to hang out in the afternoon while waiting for dinner.

On my cruise the piano bar didn't have much of a crowd. I wish it was better.

Getting on and off the ship went very smooth, the crew was friendly and hard working. You will have a great time.

On my cruise (28 Apr - 05 May) the piano bar (Cinn-a-bar) was crowded every night. James is an awesome entertainer!!

On my cruise (28 Apr - 05 May) the piano bar (Cinn-a-bar) was crowded every night. James is an awesome entertainer!!

Was going to post the same thing. We were on the same cruise as you and spent every evening hanging out in the Cinn-a-Bar with James and the regular crowd. James is awesome! I think he's on the Glory until July or August, would definitely recommend stoping by, especially if you enjoy piano bars.

Do they still have the sushi on the Glory?

I am pretty sure that this has been replaced on all the ships by the Tasting Menu - different style each night - - I know one was the comfort foods, not sure about the others (we were on Freedom) but I am guessing its the same.

I am pretty sure that this has been replaced on all the ships by the Tasting Menu - different style each night - - I know one was the comfort foods, not sure about the others (we were on Freedom) but I am guessing its the same.

No more sushi??

That was one of the things I was really looking forward to... :mad:

No more sushi??

Me too....we were on the Dream in November..and just not so impressed with the different new eating venues....am happy they still have the seafood place upstairs in the Lido:):):)

No more sushi??

Me too, but sadly, no sushi on the Glory. At least the seafood place upstairs serves up some similar things like octopus salad, ceviche, etc. And they have a sushi appetizer one night in the MDR.

There was also no sign of the "Mongolian wok" station. The food station across from the pizza station was closed all cruise long. Maybe that was it?

Oh, and deck 6 aft starboard (where my cabin, 6451, was) was pretty much directly above the Cinn-a-bar. Which isn't particularly pleasant when you're trying to sleep earlier than 1am or so when they shut things down.

Oh, another one: The "secret spot" on deck 3. Just go out the doors right by Guest Services or the Shore Excursions desk. You'll be on a deck with the lifeboats hanging ominously above your head, but it's pleasant, full of loungers, and nary a soul in sight. It can get a little misty as you head toward the bow though.

Free champagne: sit in on the art auction (last sea day I believe). You don't have to register. Peruse all the artwork, find a seat, read the pamphlet... they'll pass around the drinks as the auction starts. It's fascinating to watch, almost scary.

Edited by GreyingJay