Recent NCL travelers- Kids Club?

russianmom

It did when we were on the Jewel in January, but it wasn't every day, and the 3-5 yr old group closed sometimes when the 6-9 year old didn't. I don't have my kids club schedules anymore to give the exact details, hopefully someone has a copy from the ship you will be sailing.

On our recent Jade sailing it did not close for meals on sea days. On port days, if your child was there during meal times, there was a charge for them taking your child to eat.

On our last sea day was the circus show. Kids had to eat lunch and get back to the kids club between 12-1 if they wanted to do the show, but the club didn't close.

Yes - this is going fleetwide from what I understand. I was on Epic in February and it closed from 12-2 and 5-7 every day. Hardest part is the return. There was a line to drop the kids back off. If you want specialty dinners, make your reservation for 7:30.

Yes - this is going fleetwide from what I understand. I was on Epic in February and it closed from 12-2 and 5-7 every day. Hardest part is the return. There was a line to drop the kids back off. If you want specialty dinners, make your reservation for 7:30.

UGH :mad:

UGH :mad:

Yup. Ugh exactly. But it ended up being fine. Ahead of time I was annoyed, but it worked out just fine. My 7 year old loved going there, so I was happy. For the most part she ate with us anyway, but the evening we wanted to go to Moderno we made our reservations for 7:30. I guess I would be more annoyed that I couldn't make a 7:00 show and then the 9:30 show is too late.

My son has loved it on 4 cruises. I just hate being mandated that he has to leave at certain times. Sometimes he isn't hungry 12-2 or 5-7.

Or like you said maybe I want to eat at 6 or 6:30.... Doesn't sound like Freestyle anymore...

Oh well, I'll see what happens and go with the flow :cool:

My son has loved it on 4 cruises. I just hate being mandated that he has to leave at certain times. Sometimes he isn't hungry 12-2 or 5-7.

Or like you said maybe I want to eat at 6 or 6:30.... Doesn't sound like Freestyle anymore...

Oh well, I'll see what happens and go with the flow :cool:

I know it doesn't sound freestyle and it did make it hard for us to make a 7pm show when the club OPENED at 7pm. They need to adjust the times of drop off to be 6:45 so the parents can make a 7:00pm show. The late show is too late. :(

But of course - the reason they are doing it - as I have been told - some parents dropped off as soon as the club opened in the morning and never came back to get their kids until camp closed late at night. So the poor kids were never fed all day long. Grrrrr!

Some people should have their parenting license revoked ;)

So yes - because some parents are idiots - the rest of us are being punished.

Does the Kids Club now close for lunch 12-2 and dinner 5-7?

That was one of the reasons we really liked it on previous sailings as it didn't close as opposed to CCL.

Just off the Star...and happy to report that they DID NOT close during meal times. My kids loved it and begged to go. I understand that the Epic has different policies though.

Looks like it is on Epic and Gem- which we are on next. Of course Jewel is next after that, which is also our next cruise... NOT VERY FREESTYLE

Epic and Gem Splash Academy Hours of Operation

Morning: 9:00am – 12:00pm*

Afternoon: 2:00pm – 5:00pm*

Evening: 7:00pm – 10:30pm**

Jewel Splash Academy will be testing new operational hours on sea days only beginning 3/10/2013

*Center closes at 12:00pm and 5:00pm. Children need to be picked up at these times.

**Splash Academy ends at 1030pm nightly. Fifteen minute transition time offered before Late Night charges apply.

Please refer to the FAQ’s for the other ship Operating Hours.

UPCOMING ON NORWEGIAN GEM SPLASH ACADEMY

Beginning 3/22/2013, the Norwegian Gem is proud to announce the use of EYouth Automated Tablets in Splash Academy. The EYouth Tablet system is the Splash Academy onboard automated system covering registration and drop off and pick to/from the Splash Academy for children 3-12 years old.

I know it doesn't sound freestyle and it did make it hard for us to make a 7pm show when the club OPENED at 7pm. They need to adjust the times of drop off to be 6:45 so the parents can make a 7:00pm show. The late show is too late. :(

But of course - the reason they are doing it - as I have been told - some parents dropped off as soon as the club opened in the morning and never came back to get their kids until camp closed late at night. So the poor kids were never fed all day long. Grrrrr!

Some people should have their parenting license revoked ;)

So yes - because some parents are idiots - the rest of us are being punished.

That was the exact reason given to us by the Jewel staff in January, but it does not explain why only the 3-5 yo group closed on a regular basis on our cruise :mad:

ITA they need to consider the implications for parents wanting to eat and see the early show, since check in can be very slow. Perhaps the automated system referenced in an earlier post will help?

Looks like it is on Epic and Gem- which we are on next. Of course Jewel is next after that, which is also our next cruise... NOT VERY FREESTYLE

Epic and Gem Splash Academy Hours of Operation

Jewel Splash Academy will be testing new operational hours on sea days only beginning 3/10/2013

*Center closes at 12:00pm and 5:00pm. Children need to be picked up at these times.

**Splash Academy ends at 1030pm nightly. Fifteen minute transition time offered before Late Night charges apply.

Please refer to the FAQ’s for the other ship Operating Hours.

UPCOMING ON NORWEGIAN GEM SPLASH ACADEMY

Beginning 3/22/2013, the Norwegian Gem is proud to announce the use of EYouth Automated Tablets in Splash Academy. The EYouth Tablet system is the Splash Academy onboard automated system covering registration and drop off and pick to/from the Splash Academy for children 3-12 years old.

So very sad to see the NON Freestyle direction the kids program is taking on Norwegian. The original program that allowed parents flexibility is what hooked me on Norwegian. I'm fortunate that my son will be 10 on the next cruise. I will give him permission to sign himself in and out of the program. I've got a million booked. If he was not old enough for this privledge, I definitley would explore other lines again. Still May, Lots of time to find better deals on other lines for my itineraries. Bottom line is a combination of itinerary and money. Time to research again.

So very sad to see the NON Freestyle direction the kids program is taking on Norwegian. The original program that allowed parents flexibility is what hooked me on Norwegian. I'm fortunate that my son will be 10 on the next cruise. I will give him permission to sign himself in and out of the program. I've got a million booked. If he was not old enough for this privledge, I definitley would explore other lines again. Still May, Lots of time to find better deals on other lines for my itineraries. Bottom line is a combination of itinerary and money. Time to research again.

SIX booked- I am SO jealous!!!!!!! ;)

My husband and I were just discussing this. It's too late to do anything about my May cruise but we are thinking about looking for other options for next February now....

My son LOVES the Kids Club and we loved that he could call us and leave to eat when HE was hungry then go for a swim or whatever and go back if he felt like it. (he eats lunch at school at 11 so is kind of programed to be hungry around 11)

That was one of the biggest things my son and I disliked about our trip on Carnival- he could be in the middle of having a great time and time to close. And I always had to be so cognizant of the time to pick him up at 12 and 5. Plus he could decide if he wanted to eat with us and then get dropped off or eat first at the buffet and we could go later. Since 7-7:30 seems to be prime dining time I am sure we will always be caught up in the line for MDR.

I think I'm working myself up :mad::mad::mad:

SIX booked- I am SO jealous!!!!!!! ;)

My husband and I were just discussing this. It's too late to do anything about my May cruise but we are thinking about looking for other options for next February now....

My son LOVES the Kids Club and we loved that he could call us and leave to eat when HE was hungry then go for a swim or whatever and go back if he felt like it. (he eats lunch at school at 11 so is kind of programed to be hungry around 11)

That was one of the biggest things my son and I disliked about our trip on Carnival- he could be in the middle of having a great time and time to close. And I always had to be so cognizant of the time to pick him up at 12 and 5. Plus he could decide if he wanted to eat with us and then get dropped off or eat first at the buffet and we could go later. Since 7-7:30 seems to be prime dining time I am sure we will always be caught up in the line for MDR.

I think I'm working myself up :mad::mad::mad:

I was super worked up back in Nov when this first was instituted on the Epic with absolutely NO notice. I was all over CC and FB expressing my unhappiness.

Just off the Sun and it was fantastic and had the "old" schedule without closing times. I knew when I booked the Epic for Europe & TA, we would encounter the "bad" time schedule, but with my son being 10, he could sign himself out of the club, find us at the pool or where ever. We have a game plan for the Epic and signing in and out. Didn't think I was going to have to deal with the crappy time thing on the Jewel, but glad I saw this thread, so we will now make a plan. He actually turns 10 on the Jewel, so he is excited.

My son has always loved the kids club and he has NEVER been left all day. We just always loved the flexibility of time and being on our own schedule and not someone elses. It's terrible how a few ruin it for those that actually love to spend time with our children.

OK just off the Dawn yesterday and sea days the "turtles" group Splash Academy Kids club closes from 5-7pm for ONLY the 3-5 age group. The rest of the age groups are open. My DD is 7 and her age group wasn't closed during this time. We had to cancel our 6:30 Cagney's reservation on Saturday because of this! I was disappointed but overall it was a great cruise.

OK just off the Dawn yesterday and sea days the "turtles" group Splash Academy Kids club closes from 5-7pm for ONLY the 3-5 age group. The rest of the age groups are open. My DD is 7 and her age group wasn't closed during this time. We had to cancel our 6:30 Cagney's reservation on Saturday because of this! I was disappointed but overall it was a great cruise.

According to the website, it appears they are phasing in the 12-2 and 5-7 closings on various ships. I suspect that within the next year, it will be that way on all the ships.

Luckily from viewing some dailies that have been posted with ships that have the closings, at least they are offering some of the "family" activities during the closing times. When all this was first instituted on the Epic, the first couple weeks, there were absolutely NO ship sponsored activities for kids during the closing hours. At least now they seem to be offering things like the cupcake decorating, lego building, etc during these times.

• 4 weeks later...
I brought home all the Dawn Splash Academy kids schedules for all the age groups except teens (they were out) so I will scan them and post them for everyone.

I would love to see them, we are sailing on the Dawn in January with a 3 year old.

• 4 months later...
I brought home all the Dawn Splash Academy kids schedules for all the age groups except teens (they were out) so I will scan them and post them for everyone.

Julienatul,

Did you ever post these on another thread? I would love to see them. We are going in December on the Jewel and will have ages 9, 9, 10, 11, and 16 (three are mine, plus nephew and niece). Thanks!!

Archived