Madrid--what to do?

pinkroses

We will be visiting Madrid precruise in June. Anyone share experiences in Madrid? What should not be missed? Thanks!

I spent 4 days in Madrid about 18 months ago, and I would say that you should be sure to consider:

--The Prado Museum (it's a classic and if you only see one art museum, this should be it).

--Reina Sofia Museum (this is a "modern art" museum - that is 20th century art -- and was terrific. I liked it easily as much as the Prado)

--the Thyssen-Bronemisza Museum (it's the third jewel of art museums in Madrid, and if art is your thing, include this one)

--Real Basilica de San Francisco el Grande (this is a beautiful religious site worth a visit, near the Real Palacio - probably the nicest and still least crowded of any religious site I visited in Spain).

--Chocolatería San Ginés (a small but very, very popular spot for chocolate et churros near the Plaza Mayor. It's been around for over 120 years, and hot chocolate served with churros in the Madrid way is a local classic you have to try. Actually, I found it too rich and sweet for me (it's almost like chocolate pudding, not what we would call "hot chocolate"), but it's an experience you can't miss).

--Plaza del Sol (this is a great local meeting place and general community hot spot, where there's always something going on. While you're there, be sure to try the pastry shop)

--La Mallorquina (a pastry shop right on Plaza del Sol.....you can eat in or take out. A very popular pastry coffee shop, and I can attest the pastries are as great as the atmosphere).

Madrid is a great city and is very easily accessible with public transportation, even from the airport with a network of local trains, a fantastic and frequent metro and buses reaching every corner of the central city.

As mentioned, the Golden Art Triangle is my highest recommendation, with a three museum pass for just over 21 euro. Every museum does have free days, but these can be very crowded.

Another great thing now is the automatic 10% discount pass at Corte Ingles the main department store for all holding foreign passport.

The website www.esmadrid.com is a great place to start and as tourism is such an important element in all of Spain all websites will have English or multi-lingual translation.

Another great thing now is the automatic 10% discount pass at Corte Ingles the main department store for all holding foreign passport.

Sadly, though, the discount only applies in a few departments, such as Fashion, Perfumes, Fashion Accessories, Cosmetics, and Shoes.

Sadly, though, the discount only applies in a few departments, such as Fashion, Perfumes, Fashion Accessories, Cosmetics, and Shoes.

Well, I would not expect it on food and books, but can understand that it might be on souvenirs. I would not think most home furnishing, electronic or personal care shoppers would be tourists and that is who it is for.

Well, I would not expect it on food and books, but can understand that it might be on souvenirs. I would not think most home furnishing, electronic or personal care shoppers would be tourists and that is who it is for.

Interesting.....because I think those are exactly the things tourists would want: Electronics (like camera accessories or a flash drive) and personal care items (for things you've forgotten, or forgotten to bring an electronic adapter for). I went in looking to buy a local prepaid cell phone for my time there.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd mention it.

Thank you everyone! These are exactly what I was looking for! I especially like the pastries and the art! Now we need to plan how to get to Madrid from Barcelona!

Easy......take the train. The AVE high speed train will get you comfortably from city center to city center in about 3.5 hours. If you purchase your tickets online and in advance, they can be quite reasonable (about 40-50 Euros each, depending on your dates of travel). Though I had no trouble with the Renfe website (http://www.renfe.com), apparently a lot of people do, so you may want to look up how to use the website on TripAdvisor.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to Madrid twice. I wouldn't miss the Prado museum and Reina Sophia museum but make sure you also go to plaza Mayor (we had great paella there), the royal palace and the parco del Retiro which is a huge public park. I like to watch soccer so I also went to Santiago Bernabeu stadium. The subway system is great there also if some of the places are very close to each other (like puerta del sol and plaza mayor) so you can walk.

We'll be here three days. The Madrid Tourist Pass is good from the airport to where our hotel is... Close to Prado. Is it a good deal, to buy the three day pass at 17.5 euros or but separate trips and then get a HOHO pass for one day?

The three day pass seems an excellent value. The HOHO routes are also heavily trafficked by local buses that would be included. Many lines run with great frequency and central Madrid is very compact. Some of the best areas have actually been converted to walking streets with sometimes only buses and taxis allowed.

I usually have just a 10 stamp ticket as I am in the city very frequently, but adding the airport supplements is always a hassle and then if you fly into terminal 4 you might want to use the Cercanias train that would require a separate ticket, but would be covered by the 3 day pass. I think it is now 18.40 but is still a value.

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to know if you have to order it prior to arriving in Madrid? There is a website to order and then they email a receipt so you still have to go to the Madrid Metro Customer Service Desk at the airport to exchange it for the pass. If you can purchase once you're there, I don't see the advantage of pre-ordering. Am I missing something?

Archived