First cruise at the end of this month and a few questions...

Prittyditty

Going on a cruise at the end of this month for my first time and I have a few questions for those who have taken one before.

* Should I wear the transdermal scop patch or wait and see how I feel on the ship? I don't get motion sickeness in cars so I'm not sure if I will need it, but have a script filled just in case.

* Is there anything you would suggest to pack that you might have forgotten and wished you had while on the cruise? I've read on other sites of people bringing power strips, over the door organizers, etc and I'm wondering if all that is truly necessary.

* Is it reasonable to travel with just a rolling carry on and personal bag (Vera Bradley) for a week at sea or would you suggest checking luggage on the plane. My concern is that luggage could get lost and we won't have time to wait and/or sort out lost luggage.

* If you sailed to the western Caribbean what excursions would you say are a must do? Our ship is going from Miami to a private island in the Bahamas, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, Mexico.

I would wait to apply the patch...you very well may not need it at all!

We never bring any of the "must haves" on those packing lists! Except, binoculars...there's lots to see at sea! Cabins usually have plenty of "hidey-holes" and shelves, etc... for your stuff.

If you can do the carry-on thing, and liquids aren't an issue....go for it. I bring things like shampoo/conditioner/deoderant and most importantly, SUNSCREEN that won't fit in the 1 qt. TSA required baggie. So, at least 1 bag is checked with those liquid items. Boarding the ship is different from the airplane...you can bring full-sized toiletries onto the ship with you...no TSA liquid rules on the ship.

Can't help with the excursions....we're beach people, and you don't need an excursion for that type of day!

Going on a cruise at the end of this month for my first time and I have a few questions for those who have taken one before.

* Should I wear the transdermal scop patch or wait and see how I feel on the ship? I don't get motion sickeness in cars so I'm not sure if I will need it, but have a script filled just in case.

* Is there anything you would suggest to pack that you might have forgotten and wished you had while on the cruise? I've read on other sites of people bringing power strips, over the door organizers, etc and I'm wondering if all that is truly necessary.

* Is it reasonable to travel with just a rolling carry on and personal bag (Vera Bradley) for a week at sea or would you suggest checking luggage on the plane. My concern is that luggage could get lost and we won't have time to wait and/or sort out lost luggage.

* If you sailed to the western Caribbean what excursions would you say are a must do? Our ship is going from Miami to a private island in the Bahamas, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, and Cozumel, Mexico.

Since I'm the first one to reply, I mostly want to warn you to expect some of these responses:

"It woudl be helpful to us if you'd tell us what cruise line, when and where..."

"Search these boards. Lots of these questions are already answered."

"Join the roll call for your cruise."

My best responses to SOME of your questions are: yes, you CAN take the little luggage you're talking about...it's all a matter of what you plan to do while on board. If you're dressing for formal nights, that might get tricky. I've seen some GREAT videos on you tube...just search "packing for a cruise." Then you'll get an idea of some of the things you should be thinking of.

You'll have few outlets in your room. For me, a power strip is ESSENTIAL. I travel with a lot of chargers (Kindle, my wife's kindle, phones, Kindle Fire...it's ridiculous, I know). But just know that you'll have very few...it's up to you to decide if you need them.

I personally like the over-the-door organizers for my bathroom items. There is SO LITTLE room in the bathrooms, this organizer just goes over the back of the door and everything is right there. I would never cruise without one (and another for my wife).

The seasickness question is tough. I FREQUENTLY get car sick...have never gotten sea sick. Each person is individual. I have packed ginger tablets and bonine...but never needed. You can start taking ginger a couple of days before and then throughout as a preventative measure.

That's all I got. Except this: you WILL have a blast. Cruising is an unbelievable amount of fun!

If you can do the carry-on thing, and liquids aren't an issue....go for it. I bring things like shampoo/conditioner/deoderant and most importantly, SUNSCREEN that won't fit in the 1 qt. TSA required baggie. So, at least 1 bag is checked with those liquid items. Boarding the ship is different from the airplane...you can bring full-sized toiletries onto the ship with you...no TSA liquid rules on the ship.

Very true. Our first cruise, we discovered that the ship only has this liquid "stuff" in the shower that is your shampoo and body wash all in one. I was not a fan. Next cruise, we packed full bottle of shampoo and conditioner (obviously, we were checking bags...it was a 12 day European cruise). Best couple of bucks I spent in preparation.

Agree with cb that most of those packing list items are unnecessary. I couldn't manage a week's vacation out of a carry-on, but that's your call. What I do to help alleviate the lost luggage fear is to pack at least a few days' worth into a carry on suit case, the remainder in my checked bag. The airline and cruise line will try to connect you with your misdirected luggage and you'll likely get it returned to you at some point mid-cruise. (Not always, but a good possibility.) I feel safer having at least a few days' worth that I keep with me.

I think most people would say climbing Dunns River Falls in Ochos Rios is the thing to do. I would tend to agree. The Margaritaville's there is a LOT of fun. It's on the beach, within eyesight of the ship.

Cozumel has too many great options to begin to pick one or two to recommend. Best bet is to check the port of call boards.

In Grand Cayman, I like Buccanneer Sting Ray catamaran excursion. You can book privately on-line. I've done it more than once.

I wouldn't bother with the patch - too many side effects for my taste. We use Bonine 24 hour, at least for the first couple days. I'm somewhat prone to motion sickness, while DH isn't at all, but he takes it "just in case" for a day or 2, til we get our sea legs. We take it before or shortly after we board, before we're underway. (It doesn't help to take it after you already feel queasy) If there are rocky seas, or if it looks like the tender is going to be longer or rougher than normal, or if we're doing a sea-based excursion, again with the Bonine.

I find the over-the-door shoe holder very practical to store small stuff that might get in the way or lost in the shuffle - chargers, sunscreen, almost anything that fits (and sometimes it's even good to store shoes in!), though it's certainly not a necessity. But the bathroom countertop and the desktop tend to get a little crowded if I don't bring it.

I could probably go with carryons, but sunscreen prevents that. Seriously, I like my spray-on sunscreen (bought at a bargain price), so that's the only thing that really causes me to need to check a bag. I could manage to put shampoo & conditioner in small bottles, but not that sunscreen! Of course, since I have to check a bag, anyway, I then tend to overpack.

I totally agree with a previous poster who brought up the "essential" power strip. If you have more than two electronic toys then you'll need one. The electric outlets are very few and not in the best locations; one will be on the desk tho. Keep in mind that you'll want to get (if you don't already have one) a grounded power strip, not one of those flimsy household extension cords. I won't even have one of those in my home.

Like others -I would hold off on the patch. I don't know how many times I've had to check outside to see if we're really moving.

Like others - wouldn't travel without my over-the-door shoe holder or power strip. I always bring a bottle of aloe vera gel. It's good for so many things, not only sunburn. Bring good hair conditioner, even if you don't bring shampoo. The wind, sun and sand can really dry your hair out. A hat - bring a good hat with a wide brim. I also bring a nice looking (you're bringing Vera Bradley, so I know you've got good taste:)) insulated coffee mug - something sleek and nice - well, you don't want to carry around anything tacky! My dh doesn't drink alcohol, so he always gets the cola package - then he can pour half into my classy looking cup.

If you can pack for a week in take-on luggage - go for it! I haven't succeeded yet.

If you like ancient history you might enjoy the Mayan ruins at Tulim. -If you do that- book with the ship. It's about a 2 hour ride to the Ruins and you don't want to chance getting back late. Grand Cayman has some great snorkeling. Or you could visit the Turtle Farm - although I think selling turtle soup at the Turtle Farm is just - tacky!

I totally agree with a previous poster who brought up the "essential" power strip. If you have more than two electronic toys then you'll need one. The electric outlets are very few and not in the best locations; one will be on the desk tho. Keep in mind that you'll want to get (if you don't already have one) a grounded power strip, not one of those flimsy household extension cords. I won't even have one of those in my home.

On an earlier thread the Power Strip was confiscated. So that may be an issue.:mad:

Guest maddycat

If you're traveling on RCI someone just posted that their surge protector was confiscated. Evidently RCI is no longer allowing surge protectors and they haven't been allowing power strips for some time. They don't want passengers to overload circuits and cause a fire.

Surge Protector Taken!!!!OOOPS! - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

We've never needed the over the door shoe holder. We've always found plenty of storage space in the bathroom and cabin itself.

Archived