What is the Behind the Fun tour?

Gayle V

I saw the Behind the Fun tour mentioned in another post below. So I'm wondering what is the Behind the Fun tour? Sounds like you get to see the workings of the ship ? Do you get to see the bridge? And how much does it cost? And do all the ships do it?

It a tour of the ship. The price depends on the length of the cruise. I think 3-5 day cruises its $45 and 7 days $95. But don't if its the size of the ship that decides that price. Suppose to be a very good tour of most areas on the ship including the Bridge. I think all ships do it now. Its suppose to be a 3-4 hour tour. Planning on doing the tour on our Dream cruise.

Edited by Kudos2Fly

I saw the Behind the Fun tour mentioned in another post below. So I'm wondering what is the Behind the Fun tour? Sounds like you get to see the workings of the ship ? Do you get to see the bridge? And how much does it cost? And do all the ships do it?

Pam & I did a 5 day on the Triumph and it was 3-1/2 hours and it was $95. Worth every penny. You see the crew lounges, every crew, staff, officer and captains dining area, laundry, galley, cold storage areas for food, engine control room, backstage & dressing rooms, brig, morgue, human resource training area, and the bridge where the captain and the chief engineer speak to the group. Refreshments are served at 3 of your stops. Photos are taken during the tour. The photos & a gift from the captain are delivered to your stateroom later that evening. You also receive several other gifts when the tour is over. Sign up as soon as you get on board at the excursion desk. Space is limited to 2-16 person tours on the last sea day.

Did this tour on the Miracle and it was worth every penny! Highlight was definitely the bridge and meeting the captain in his natural environment:p If you do have the chance and are interested in the inner workings of the ship certainly do it.

I've done the Behind the Fun tour on the Fantasy, Paradise, and the Legend. I find it very enjoyable and informative. We tour the main kitchen, and have a chat with the head Chef, the laundry area, the rooms where they keep the frozen foods. Behind the stage stuff, and the crew lounge area. Then the engine control room and the engineer gives you a general info about the workings. Then the bridge area. Very interesting chat with the Captain and crew. Oh and a photo or two that will be delivered later that evening. Well worth the price on any ship, one of my favorite excursions.

It a tour of the ship. The price depends on the length of the cruise. I think 3-5 day cruises its $45 and 7 days $95. But don't if its the size of the ship that decides that price. Suppose to be a very good tour of most areas on the ship including the Bridge. I think all ships do it now. Its suppose to be a 3-4 hour tour. Planning on doing the tour on our Dream cruise.

It's $55 pp on the shorter cruises. That's what we paid on the Imagination. We really enjoyed it and got a lot out of the experience. We probably wouldn't pay to do it again, but definitely worth it to do it once.

For the price, you get the tour, a lanyard, a group photo with the Captain on the bridge, a Carnival hat, and some treats delivered to your room afteward (chocolate covered strawberries and cookies).

When you follow the link provided, you need to click on the life on board tab. Scroll down and you'll find the Behind the Fun question/answer.

Thank you so much, I must have been reading this too late in the day, as I never even noticed those tabs that STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB, lol :)

It's $55 pp on the shorter cruises. That's what we paid on the Imagination. We really enjoyed it and got a lot out of the experience. We probably wouldn't pay to do it again, but definitely worth it to do it once.

For the price, you get the tour, a lanyard, a group photo with the Captain on the bridge, a Carnival hat, and some treats delivered to your room afteward (chocolate covered strawberries and cookies).

The price also depends on the size of the ship. We thought it would be $55 for our 4 day on the Glory, but when we went to sign up we were told it was nearly $100pp--so we said no.

I did it on Imagination and Liberty and thought that, even though it was supposed to be shorter, the $55 BtF tour on Imagination was a lot better than the more expensive one on Liberty. We learned more, we had better answers to our questions, the Chief Engineer was especially accomodating, and we were 30 minutes late by the time we wrapped it all up on the bridge.

A lot depends on who acts as your tour guide; on Imagination it was the ship's chief training officer and she was great.

I also don't know if we'd do it again, but it was definitely worth the price of doing it once.

I think Carnival's page tries to draw a distinction between short and longer cruises on its FAQ page, saying longer cruises have a longer tour, but that is sort of deceptive. It was $55 for our 7 day cruise on the Victory, and as someone else pointed out, $95 on a four-day cruise on Glory.

I think the price depends more on if the ship has a steakhouse as has been mentioned in the past. Now, most of Carnival's older ships don't have steakhouses and run shorter cruises, so Carnival may feel they can make this claim. Just be aware that some short cruises may have higher prices and some longer cruises may have lower prices.

I did it on Imagination and Liberty and thought that, even though it was supposed to be shorter, the $55 BtF tour on Imagination was a lot better than the more expensive one on Liberty. We learned more, we had better answers to our questions, the Chief Engineer was especially accomodating, and we were 30 minutes late by the time we wrapped it all up on the bridge.

A lot depends on who acts as your tour guide; on Imagination it was the ship's chief training officer and she was great.

I agree. The staff and crew that we met on the tour definitely made the experience what it was.

It looks like we were on the Imagination within just few weeks of each other! We were on at the beginning of January last year. Claudine did our tour and the Chief Engineer, Santi, was hilarious.

I think Carnival's page tries to draw a distinction between short and longer cruises on its FAQ page, saying longer cruises have a longer tour, but that is sort of deceptive. It was $55 for our 7 day cruise on the Victory, and as someone else pointed out, $95 on a four-day cruise on Glory.

I think the price depends more on if the ship has a steakhouse as has been mentioned in the past. Now, most of Carnival's older ships don't have steakhouses and run shorter cruises, so Carnival may feel they can make this claim. Just be aware that some short cruises may have higher prices and some longer cruises may have lower prices.

This has always been my impression also: the presence of a steakhouse causes the price to go to $95. Which would be really cool if they tossed you a few scraps of steak. :)

(They DID toss us champagne or orange juice when we got to the steakhouse on Liberty.)

I agree. The staff and crew that we met on the tour definitely made the experience what it was.

It looks like we were on the Imagination within just few weeks of each other! We were on at the beginning of January last year. Claudine did our tour and the Chief Engineer, Santi, was hilarious.

Our tour-guide was from S. Africa. My cruise review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=96886 seems to say her name was Debbie, though.

Mario Testa was our Chief Engineer and he was great. I give him props for not busting out laughing when one of our tour group asked him if the whale-tail funnel design had any effect on the ship's aerodynamics or handling, "like a plane's ailerons." :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know of age restrictions on the behind the fun tour. I'm wondering if my 6 year old son would find it enjoyable. I would really like to do it. I'm not sure how I would feel about spending 3 hours or more on my last sea day of a 4 night cruise tho. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Does anyone know of age restrictions on the behind the fun tour. I'm wondering if my 6 year old son would find it enjoyable. I would really like to do it. I'm not sure how I would feel about spending 3 hours or more on my last sea day of a 4 night cruise tho. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

$100 for a 6-year-old to spend 4 hours touring a ship?

Don't know about the rules, but can't imagine a child of that age staying focused on a more adult activity for so long. Especially with all the Q&A.

Send him to camp and enjoy visiting the inner workings of the ship yourself. :)