Cancel or No Show

CruisingSoon88

So I have read in other threads that it is better to no show versus cancel in some situations. We are less than 30 days from sailing. One person in cabin will probably not go due to medical reasons. The other most likely will still go. If they no show, will the other person get all of the OBC or just the ones in their name? How will this work if the person does have insurance?(not through Carnival) If they no show, will the person left be charged a single supplement even though they are paid in full for 2 people? They have also bought excursions. Thanks for any help!

If the person canceling cancels now, they will get a partial refund from Carnival. 25% from Carnival. They will then file with their insurance for the remaining 75%. It should be covered, unless excluded as a Pre-existing condition.

The person still going will probably be charged the additional amount for a single fare; if this person has the same insurance as the canceling person and the medical reason is covered, then the insurance of the remaining person will usually cover the increased fare. It depends on the specific policy purchased.

If nobody cancels, and is just a no -show, the remaining person does not pay extra, but the canceling person does not get any refund from the cruise line, and not from the insurance company (you have to actually cancel in order to use the cancellation coverage).

Ok that makes sense. Does anybody know about the OBC? They have $980 which includes a $100 FCV. I'm thinking that if their insurance does not cover the supplement, then the other person will still have to pay the 200% which will in essence wipe out any reimbursement from the insurance. If the person still gets all of the OBC including what is in both names if they no show, then they will still be ahead by no showing. I think it all hinges on the OBC. Any info on the OBC?

THe OBC stays with the person so that will probably be lost either way. I would definitely cancel the excursions because those are refundable. Not sure who has the insurance so it's hard to say whether cancelling or no show is the better choice. Do you know for a fact the single supplement is 200% it may not be or to ask CCL what options you have?

Ok that makes sense. Does anybody know about the OBC? They have $980 which includes a $100 FCV. I'm thinking that if their insurance does not cover the supplement, then the other person will still have to pay the 200% which will in essence wipe out any reimbursement from the insurance. If the person still gets all of the OBC including what is in both names if they no show, then they will still be ahead by no showing. I think it all hinges on the OBC. Any info on the OBC?

I get the entire FCC OBC, all $100 as a solo cruiser. It should stay with the cabin if someone no shows .. it did for me.

My sister did the no show (she got married) and after the cruise her add on taxes and fees were credited to my credit card. (I paid her deposit).

I also get all of the stock OBC as a solo now.

The policy changed a year or so ago so solos get it all for stock and FCC OBC.

"The OBC stays with the person so that will probably be lost either way."

Like Firefly, I found this statement is false. I received the full onboard credit that the "cabin" was to receive on my sign and sail account when my last cruise for two became a solo cruise.

"I would definitely cancel the excursions because those are refundable."

In most cases, this is correct.

"Not sure who has the insurance so it's hard to say whether cancelling or no show is the better choice."

In some cases, the insurance covers all people on the booking... you will need to check the policy.

"Do you know for a fact the single supplement is 200% it may not be or to ask CCL what options you have?"

On most CCL cruises the single supplement rate is 200%, including the aforementioned solo cruise. That is why the OBC went to the cabin, even though there was a no-show passenger.

Thanks for all of your replies. I did find out that the insurance will cover the supplement charge if one cancels and the other person still goes. Although they have insurance that includes even pre-existing, I'm still leery about getting that approval for the cancellation. Everything hinges on what happens at their doctor appointment on Monday. Hopefully, they will say that it is fine to travel and we won't have to worry about it. Unfortunately I think that they will cancel no matter what. Honestly, I was hoping to avoid calling Carnival, but we'll have to do all of the math and weigh the risks before we decide. Once again, thanks for your help.

Archived