6nts in London and Golden Princess review Jun 1 -10

cnmiranda

I always received replies from Freddy at the taxi service within 24 hours. He wanted a credit card number to hold the reservation, but we paid cash when we were dropped off. Another person on my cruise couldn't get a response from him either, but I had good service. Like I said though, there were taxis at the pier when we got in and they are only 3 euros more each way.

Thanks, Miranda. We bought our tickets for the London Eye and Madame Tussaud's last month. For the Eye, you get a specific "flight" time and then you get to skip the long queue at M. Tussaud's.

We also got London Passes, Underground passes, and Museum and Metro Passes (for Paris) already. We booked a 5 hr. private tour of London and I'm really looking forward to it! We're ready to go!!

We regretfully headed home the following morning again via rail promising to return to England and the rest of Europe soon. We were able to pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy on the Virgin flight home. Meals and such were the same, we just got the business class seats.

QUOTE]

Hi Miranda,

I am taking the non-stop Virgin Atlantic to Gatwick this summer from Las Vegas. How much more did you have to pay for the upgrade to Premium Economy class? Do you feel it was worth it?

Thanks for your input,

:) Nora

How is this procedure done? Are they taken at checkin before embarkation?

How were they returned to you prior to Rotterdam? Just wondering if this is mayhem and confusion or was it well organized??

Does anyone really know the reason for keeping the passports??

Just curious!

Thanks,

June :D

Yeah I was wondering what the deal was in taking your passports and not giving them back until 8 days later. After all that is your official identification, why do they need to hold onto it?

Princess reps took our passports at check-in and issued us receipts for them. We had to pick them up during the day at sea before we got to Rotterdam. They said that the authorities in Rotterdam would want to see them, but apparently that is only for a few nationalities. We were never asked for ours. Since it is a common practice for cruise lines to hold your passport during a cruise I would suggest making a color copy of the main page and carrying it with you. That way you have all the pertinent info should the need arise.

Thanks for the info on the passports and also the tip on getting a color copy of the original. Passport is a valuable thing and I just don't want anyone keeping it for any prolonged length of time.

We regretfully headed home the following morning again via rail promising to return to England and the rest of Europe soon. We were able to pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy on the Virgin flight home. Meals and such were the same, we just got the business class seats.

cnmiranda,

I am sorry if I asked too personal a question about the upgrade on Virgin Atlantic flight. I was just hoping to know the price range and if it was really expensive. Always nice to have some creature comforts for those long flights if you can get them. Also, if you didn't know, you can add mileage to your Virgin Atlantic account (if you signed up for one) by flying America West who is a partner airline. Thanks again for all your info on your cruise. It was very helpful all around.

Hi travelers, sorry it's taken me so long to respond, my Dad just arrived yesterday from out of town:)

Nora, that's not too personal a question, I don't mind:) When we booked the air via America West we were given the option to choose Virgin or Americawest miles. After some thought we chose Virgin as it was about 7,000 miles and Virgin only requires 20,000 miles for a one way upgrade transatlantic. America West takes 20,000 miles to upgrade continental US, so Virgin is a better deal, especially for those long haul flights. We were lucky regarding the upgrade to premium, Virgin is running an upgrade special. 199 pounds for a 1 way upgrade to premium economy. With the currency exchange it is still a little pricey, but far better a price than any of the American counterparts for the same deal. Upper class was another story though, 1300 pounds:eek: Well worth it for a 1 time deal because the seat greatly reduces jet lag and my spouse went back to work the following morning.

June and Nora, regarding the passports, Princess originally told us we would get them back in a few hours which turned into a week, lol. As Cathy said, you are given a receipt and then will be called to the purser's desk the day before Rotterdam according to the 1st letter of your last name. And then there is a 2 hour window to pick up your passport. In our case we did have to show our passports. I was hoping to get a stamp but we didn't, though we did get a Belgium customs stamp when Princess was holding the passports.

Lady Jag, your trip sounds like lots of fun, I'm jealous you all will be traveling soon! Have a great time!

cnmiranda,

Thanks for your response about the Virgin Atlantic flight upgrade. It is a better deal for the miles through Virgin than through America West as you said. For our trip this summer we managed to swing 2 free economy tickets so I am wondering if Virgin will allow us to pay for the upgrade. As you know, airlines can be fickle when it comes to what they will accept and won't. Personally I think they would love to get some $$$ out of us. I will let you know how that plays out. I think the upgrade to Premium Economy is reasonable, but to First... you can keep it. :eek: Yikes!

Keeping the passports by Princess until Rotterdam is still rather unnerving to me because they kept them for so long. Granted you have other forms of identification, however, when travelling internationally a passport is it. I am glad to know you got it back without incident, but sad to know there wasn't a stamp in it after all that trouble. I like getting the stamps from different places too.

Hi

We were on the same cruise. About the only complaint I heard several times were the towels in the room need replacing. One of our fellow shipmates asked for better towels. We felt as long as they were clean, it made little difference to us that they were worn thin.

I agree with all the written comments. Cannot really add anything new.

However, we did most ports as self tours. I tried to book a taxi in Zeebrugge but never got a response. We got off the ship to find many taxis waiting, charging the same price. We did not even book the same taxi back from Brugge, but had no problems. I did reserve a private guide in Brugge, who charged 40 eeuros for up to 25 people. He provided a wonderful 2 hour walking tour. I think we were 15 people and we each gave him 3 euros.

We took the Princess tour to Paris--only for my wife to get a taste of Paris. We will return--hopefully this summer for a long weekend.

As far a Princess cruises, we felt this cruise was the usual and typical Princess we love. We have sailed Princess 11 times and have booked another Princess cruise for January. Althought, last Nov we were on the Sun Princess and that was our favorite and best ship in our opinion.

If anyone has questions about the Golden Princess ports or the self tours dont hesitate to write me stevermb@aol.com

Steve

Hi

We were on the same cruise. About the only complaint I heard several times were the towels in the room need replacing. One of our fellow shipmates asked for better towels. We felt as long as they were clean, it made little difference to us that they were worn thin.

I agree with all the written comments. Cannot really add anything new.

However, we did most ports as self tours. I tried to book a taxi in Zeebrugge but never got a response. We got off the ship to find many taxis waiting, charging the same price. We did not even book the same taxi back from Brugge, but had no problems. I did reserve a private guide in Brugge, who charged 40 eeuros for up to 25 people. He provided a wonderful 2 hour walking tour. I think we were 15 people and we each gave him 3 euros.

We took the Princess tour to Paris--only for my wife to get a taste of Paris. We will return--hopefully this summer for a long weekend.

As far a Princess cruises, we felt this cruise was the usual and typical Princess we love. We have sailed Princess 11 times and have booked another Princess cruise for January. Althought, last Nov we were on the Sun Princess and that was our favorite and best ship in our opinion.

If anyone has questions about the Golden Princess ports or the self tours dont hesitate to write me stevermb@aol.com

Steve

Steve, can I ask you what time you got off the ship in Zeebrugge? (I've also tried booking a taxi and never get a response. I even called there and they fellow told me to email them, like I hadn't done that before! ) You had no problems gettting a taxi to take you to Brugge? How long was the cab ride?

Thanks!

Carolyn

I am sorry, I don't know for certain if they took any European passenger's passports though I think they did as I saw everyone in line next to us getting the same yellow paper passport claim tickets, and there were several Brits around us.

Regarding the duty free shop, yes, it was open whenever we sailed but prices were hefty, decent amount of products.......

I'm glad you had a great cruise, and you certainly know Princess:) Happy sailings in the future! Can't wait till we hot Elite one day....:D

Carolyn,

We were able to get off the ship in Zebrugge around 8:00. I had booked the taxi for 8:30 just to allow for the ship clearing customs and the like. The taxi ride was 30 minutes or less, don't remember exactly. Like Steve said, there was a line of taxis waiting at 8:00, but by the time we were ready to leave at 8:30 there weren't many left (though our driver told people that more would be coming). My advice would be to disembark at 8:00 if you want to be sure to get one of the taxis at the pier.

Archived