Smuggler's Cove, anyone been there recently?

aprill121

Has anyone been to Smuggler's Cove lately? All of the reviews I have read on CC said there are no ammenities at Smuggler's, but the reviews are from 2008.

I recently read this review on trip advisor, this review is from 2011.....

"We spent 2 days on Smuggler's our last trip to Tortola and we like Nigel too but Patricia is famous for a reason. Nigel rented snorkeling equip and had a few beers but choices were limited, the beer was warm, and his prices were higher! And a couple that just rented snorkel gear from him were disgusted about chewing gum on the "cleaned" tube...ah well not a good day I guess. But definitely a nice guy. He has other "imbibement" options available too!

We like Patricia's grill, her cooking is unbelievable. Jerk or grilled chicken, the cheeseburger was prepared like we were in a fancy restaurant, her hot dog is my favorite anywhere, and her potato salad is excellent. And her Red Stripes are 2/$5 - that's cheap anywhere. She also has a small bar, try a Rum Dum!

Try 'em both, they're right next to one another, Nigel may be doing better now, but Patricia is very well-known to regular Tortola visitors. You will love Smuggler's and the view. And as I said earlier all of the lounges are free, nothing fancy but it is Smuggler's after all. I posted more info on Smuggler's here and on CC for other cruisers who are looking for an alternative to CGB."

That was my post, that's a blast from the past! :p

There are no vendors or amenities at SC, just a portapotty and a gorgeous beach with good snorkeling.

You probably know about the other choices right (Long Bay day pass, Brewer's, and CGB)?

Blue water... how funny, lol. So the review says there is someone selling food and beer at Smuggler's, is that correct? There are porta potties at SC? I have heard of Brewer's, GCB, but have not heard of the other. We want to snorkel, thats why we are leaning towards Smuggler's, just trying to figure out if we need to stop and get food and drink in town, or if there is something at Smugglers. How do Brewers and Smuggler's compare? Sorry, first time in tortola!

There are NO vendors or amenities at SC, just a portapotty and a gorgeous beach with good snorkeling. Patricia had a grill and bar and it was perfect, but all unlicensed vendors were removed a couple years ago.

So you will need to pick up a lunch and drinkd on the way. The French Deli in Road Town has excellent imported cheeses and meats and makes the best baguette sub this side of SXM. Just have the driver stop there even though it's a little out of the way (not much).

You will find great reviews on this forum for Brewer's, but keep in mind none of those people have experienced Smuggler's Cove. Just a gorgeous beach and more secluded. It's further from the cruise dock so most people go to CGB to party, and Brewer's to snorkel. But SC is one of the 2 nicest beaches on Tortola and the other Long Bay, Beef Island) doesn't have as good snorkeling.

Archived