Category K or I on an S-class ship

buckirj1

There's less than $100 total difference between the two cabins. I'm leaning toward the Category K on Main Deck for the following reasons: it's cheaper (and $100 bucks is $100 bucks), I like the mid-ship location, and it's only one deck away from the Lower Promenade. There are no Category J cabins available-I checked.

Are there any advantages to book an inside cabin up there in what RuthC calls the high rent district? I'd rather not be right under Lido Deck, but there's another category I cabin in a very nice location near the forward stairs/elevators on Navigation Deck. I'm wondering if or how much noise might filter up from the Upper Promenade?

Any advice? I don't want to move to an outside category.

Last March we were in I039 on the Statendam - booked early and deliberately chose this deck because it's mostly Deluxe Suites and Cat A cabins. We figured there would be fewer people, therefore (hopefully) less noise. That turned out to be true. Unfortunately I039 is under the Lido kitchen/cleaning area and there was MUCH banging from around 5 am to 2 am - but our trusty earplugs minimized it. Next time I would book one of the I-cabins closer to the Neptune lounge - I think I029 is closest.

We did not anticipate another benefit - we were only a couple decks (up or down) away from most activities. I would definitely book in the "high rent district" again.

There's less than $100 total difference between the two cabins. I'm leaning toward the Category K on Main Deck for the following reasons: it's cheaper (and $100 bucks is $100 bucks), I like the mid-ship location, and it's only one deck away from the Lower Promenade. There are no Category J cabins available-I checked.

Are there any advantages to book an inside cabin up there in what RuthC calls the high rent district? I'd rather not be right under Lido Deck, but there's another category I cabin in a very nice location near the forward stairs/elevators on Navigation Deck. I'm wondering if or how much noise might filter up from the Upper Promenade?

Any advice? I don't want to move to an outside category.

We just left the Ryndam K548/549 where we have stayed multiple times. They are SIDEWAYS Interior cabins and are wider than the standard outside cabin by @ 2' and also longer. The cabins actually are "triples", so there is plenty of room to open the sofa bed. Due to the configuration, you can open the closet door and the bathroom door at the same time, but not the closet door and the entry door! The closet space is smaller, but we rather have the floor space.

We just left the Ryndam K548/549 where we have stayed multiple times. They are SIDEWAYS Interior cabins and are wider than the standard outside cabin by @ 2' and also longer. The cabins actually are "triples", so there is plenty of room to open the sofa bed. Due to the configuration, you can open the closet door and the bathroom door at the same time, but not the closet door and the entry door! The closet space is smaller, but we rather have the floor space.

Thanks to both of you. I checked the K-categories and found one I liked. The "good" ones you scored have probably been long gone.

I appreciate the advice from both of you. I'm planning because I think this particular itinerary has probably gone as low as it's going to go. I'm trying to decide whether it's low enough. Pricing is several hundred dollars more than I'd pay on another line, and I don't know if I'd have several hundred dollars more fun on HAL. And there's the whole known vs. unknown aspect. Still, this is the fun part of cruise planning.

We just left the Ryndam K548/549 where we have stayed multiple times. They are SIDEWAYS Interior cabins and are wider than the standard outside cabin by @ 2' and also longer.

Blabbermouth. That 549 cabin is my new favorite on the S-class ships, and I don't want the world to know how great it is. Don't need the competition when I go to book, ya know?

So, mum's the word. K?

Noise from Upper Promenade can filter up to Veranda Deck, but I've never heard about the lounges interfering with Navigation Deck at night.

Did you just get off the ship yesterday, 3/24? If so, we were your next door neighbors in 536. I'm the one with the cough at night :o

Blabbermouth. That 549 cabin is my new favorite on the S-class ships, and I don't want the world to know how great it is. Don't need the competition when I go to book, ya know?

So, mum's the word. K?

Ruth,

My husband agrees with you! He always wants me to keep quiet about "the best" cabins, which I learned about from CC anyway. Also, he is concerned about the information I share concerning good prices for pre/post cruise hotel & parking deals. I tell him not to be concerned, as the site, "stay123" works for flights and cruises from many cities at a variety of prices.

Did you just get off the ship yesterday, 3/24? If so, we were your next door neighbors in 536. I'm the one with the cough at night :o

No, we were there Feb. 17 - March 10. Hope your cough is better!

Cough is indeed getting better...only a problem at night which probably didn't make our neighbors happy on our sailing. This respiratory thing seems to have hit so many people pretty hard this year. But, I am sure I don't even need to say it, though I will....dang cough didn't hamper my cruise one single bit!:D

Last March we were in I039 on the Statendam - booked early and deliberately chose this deck because it's mostly Deluxe Suites and Cat A cabins. We figured there would be fewer people, therefore (hopefully) less noise. That turned out to be true. Unfortunately I039 is under the Lido kitchen/cleaning area and there was MUCH banging from around 5 am to 2 am - but our trusty earplugs minimized it. Next time I would book one of the I-cabins closer to the Neptune lounge - I think I029 is closest.

We did not anticipate another benefit - we were only a couple decks (up or down) away from most activities. I would definitely book in the "high rent district" again.

Hi Barbara

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am booked in I039 on the Veendam for a Canada/New England in May. Thought I had chosen a nice quiet location and am thinking I should try to change. Was the noise every night? I029 is available - do you think it would actually be quieter?

Thanks so much

Susan

Hi there, I have booked this cabin for our upcoming cruise on Ryndam. I read up about the cabin and decided to give it a go.

Will let everyone know how it goes as I plan to write a review on my return home end of July.

Archived