CPAP and cruising

arkansasboy

My family and I are going on our first cruise on the Elation in June. I use a CPAP so I can breathe while sleeping and I am wondering if anyone else uses one while on a cruise and what tips they might have. Looking at cabin photos I dont see a good place to place my machine on and I plan on taking a power strip/surge protector so I can run the thing.

I have one and mine actually has a really long cord, I pull the small oval room table over next to the bed and it works fine. The only drawback is having the cord across the floor in the night so you have to be careful when walking in the dark. Last time I went I plugged a small motion nite light into my mini power cord and let it hang off the side of the vanity area top, it would go off if I got up to use the bathroom and kept me from tripping on the cord.

I don't have any hints for use in the cabin but I do on traveling with it. We cruised in January w/my mom & step-dad and a bunch of other people. The problem developed at the airport not on the ship.

My mom had her CPAP in a small hand held carry on type bag. TSA pulled her bag out of the x ray machine and took her aside to search her bag. Problem is they only come search your bag when they have someone avaialble to do so. She waited 15 min's before someone could come and search her bag. They took the machine out of the bag and examined it, etc. That took another 15 mins. By the time she got it packed back up and made it to the gate we had aleady boarded. We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare by the way - but our gate was a days hike from the security check in area.

Anyways, to avoid problems on the way home she just checked the bag. However, it ended up being her 2nd checked bag so it cost her $35. Expensive lesson learned for next time though.

My family and I are going on our first cruise on the Elation in June. I use a CPAP so I can breathe while sleeping and I am wondering if anyone else uses one while on a cruise and what tips they might have. Looking at cabin photos I dont see a good place to place my machine on and I plan on taking a power strip/surge protector so I can run the thing.

I have used one since 2005. I sleep on the inside portion of the bed and move the coffee table over to put the CPAP on. It is height adjustable so you can get comfortable. I have a 12 ft cord and a three prong adapter that I keep in my CPAP bag. I carry on my CPAP. I plug the adapter into the receptacle by the desk and the cord into one of the three plugs. I take the cord around the stool and the trash can to try and keep it on the carpet to minimize tripping for any night time bathroom requirements.

I have read of some people bringing tape to also secure it to the carpet.

When I get up, I unhook it from the socket, and wrap the cord around the machine (including the three prong plug) just in case someone feels that it should be confiscated.

Tips for cruising:

The water from the tap is ok to use in the machine. I have done it several times. I also pack an extension chord with the machine and a three outlet extender with a built in light (some people reccomend a small power strip). I pack them with the machine and have never had an issue. Sometimes if you ask the cabin steward will bring you an extension chord. Regardless of if I am cruising or not this is part of my travel kit. I use the small table or stool to rest my machine on near the side of the be and run the chrod under the bed or along the wall. I use a towel to cover the chrod so I don't trip.

When traveling:

Take your CPAP as a carry on. It's a medical device so you will not be charged for the carry on. Treat it as a laptop when going through security. Pull just the machine out of the case and place it in a tote for the xray. It can stay in the same tote as the case and you do not have to pull out the humidifer. Be sure to put your chord in the same bag so if an agent asks questions all your equipment is together.

After several cruises and numerous different airports I have found that these tips are pretty effetive.

I don't have any hints for use in the cabin but I do on traveling with it. We cruised in January w/my mom & step-dad and a bunch of other people. The problem developed at the airport not on the ship.

My mom had her CPAP in a small hand held carry on type bag. TSA pulled her bag out of the x ray machine and took her aside to search her bag. Problem is they only come search your bag when they have someone avaialble to do so. She waited 15 min's before someone could come and search her bag. They took the machine out of the bag and examined it, etc. That took another 15 mins. By the time she got it packed back up and made it to the gate we had aleady boarded. We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare by the way - but our gate was a days hike from the security check in area.

Anyways, to avoid problems on the way home she just checked the bag. However, it ended up being her 2nd checked bag so it cost her $35. Expensive lesson learned for next time though.

Never check your medical equipment. What if that bag would have gotten lost or the machine would have been damaged from the bag being thrown around. The past few times flying, the TSA jokesters have requested the machine be removed from the bag prior to going thru x-ray. Prior to packing for travel, I wrap the machine in a clear plastic bag. Once I get to the security area, the machine comes out and placed in the the bin. If the TSA person wants to further inspect the machine, I ensure that they change their gloves and clean the surface that they are placing the machine on. I have learned to leave some extra time.

Is your CPAP dual voltage for 110/220? Mine is and I carry an adapter for the plug (version used for England) and on most ships their is a 220 outlet under the bed where the light on the night stand plugs in. This way I can keep it plugged in all week without the tripping hazard.

On our cruises, I've just set my machine on the sofa at night and it runs fine, doesn't get too hot. During the day my machine fit perfectly into the nightstand to keep out of the way. You might want to bring a 15' extension cord, as there's only one outlet in the cabin and it's on the vanity.

My mom had her CPAP in a small hand held carry on type bag. TSA pulled her bag out of the x ray machine and took her aside to search her bag.

We're just back from a weekend in Las Vegas, and my first time flying with my CPAP. I was told in both airports (OMA and LAS) that my CPAP needed to be out of its bag, in its own bin, when it went through the xray. It went right through just fine, without even a blink from security. Also pack it in its own bag, not put in with everything else in a regular carry-on bag.

Not directed to you, but on a side note, I wouldn't call the TSA employees jokesters for making sure all devices are safe and inspected. They are just doing their jobs, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Just have to add: SOOOIEEEE PIG, Go Hogs!! :D

They are all good suggestions that were presented. My wife uses the machine when we cruise and never had a problem. Use the ship's water and bring an extension cord. As mentioned, you could trip on the extension cord at night so be careful. We actually leave the light on in the bath with the door slightly ajar and that helps a bit. Put your extension cord with the machine in your carry on. That helps to get it on board. If you put it with your drop off luggage, they some times remove it.

I appreciate all of the feedback! I didnt know the rooms had a small night stand. When I am in a motel that is where my machine goes so that will be good. I have flown with mine before so I know how that goes but thankfully we are driving down to NO so no TSA(woo-hoo!). When traveling I keep mine in a padded Pelican case with wheels. It is so nice and I dont worry about it getting damaged. I am glad to hear the water isnt an issue.

My husband and I both use a CPAP and I carry an extension cord in my CPAP bag. The biggest problem with the cruise cabin is that the only outlet is across the room from the bed so you have a cord across the floor while you sleep.

Removing the CPAP from its case is a GOVERNMENT REGULATION, people.

Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.

That is from the Department of Homeland Security and found here:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-cpaps-bipaps-and-apaps

We travel frequently. Take the CPAP out of its case, just the base, none of the other stuff. Put it in a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag. Put it in its own plastic bin. Send it down the conveyor belt first. Then do all of your other security stuff. Remove your shoes, belt, yada, yada, yada.

Usually by the time you get to the other side, they will have the special TSA officer there with his/her special explosive detecting stuff. He will then ask if it is your CPAP. He will then ask you if he can take it. I advise saying yes.

He will then test it or have you follow him while he tests it. Depends on the airport. You can make him change his gloves or not. Sometimes they ask. Depends on their mood.

But really. It's not a joke. And I don't know about your CPAP, but my husband's cost $2400. I would never, EVER put it in a checked bag. EVER. And it doesn't count against your carry-on allowance. It is a medical device.

No joke.

As far as the cruise ship: Bring your own extension cord and power strip in the CPAP bag. (Pre- and post-cruise hotel rooms can have problematic plug placement.) We also bring duck tape wrapped around a pen for emergency hose repairs (never had a hose leak yet, but have used it to fix a suitcase).

Robin

I appreciate all of the feedback! I didnt know the rooms had a small night stand. When I am in a motel that is where my machine goes so that will be good. I have flown with mine before so I know how that goes but thankfully we are driving down to NO so no TSA(woo-hoo!). When traveling I keep mine in a padded Pelican case with wheels. It is so nice and I dont worry about it getting damaged. I am glad to hear the water isnt an issue.

Don't count on the small nightstand. It has a permanently fixed lamp in the center.

What kind of cabin will you have on your cruise?

Hubby uses one also. Like others, he keeps an extension cord in his bag. Different class ships have plugs in different areas but we have always been able to set it up fine. The best thing we started doing was bringing the duct tape. We tape it down as soon as we get in the room and have no problems. Our steward has actually thanked us for doing this as it makes it easier for them to vacuum over it.

I use a Vpap, and carry it onboard in a backpack...that way it doesnt take up space in a carry-on. I can wheel my carry-on, and carry my Vpap on my back. The backpack will even strap nicely on top of my carry-on when the handle is pulled out. We drive to port, so I dont have to fuss with all the airport worries...but I would never put it as checked luggage. Its simple, without it...I dont sleep!:)

Removing the CPAP from its case is a GOVERNMENT REGULATION, people.

Passengers are required to remove CPAPs, BiPAPs, and APAPs from its carrying case, though facemasks and tubing can remain in the case. A passenger can provide a clear plastic bag in which to place the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP during X-ray screening; however, an officer may need to remove the CPAP, BiPAP or APAP from the bag to test it for traces of explosives.

That is from the Department of Homeland Security and found here:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-cpaps-bipaps-and-apaps

Robin

Just back from traveling to the Breeze and back. First time that TSA did not ask me to remove my CPAP and let them check it, either in BNA or FLL. I was really surprised. And my new replacement ankle didn't set off the alarm either place, although one TSA agent in FLL asked me why I was limping.

Another suggestion I have is to buy bright colored duct tape (mine is lime green with peace signs on it!) to tape down your extension cord. Makes it easy to see in low light and also can be used to mark your luggage when you are debarking. There are so many bags that are black or red!

My parents took along their CPAP machines when we cruised out of San Juan. Both machines were brought on the plane and NOT counted as carry-on. I would never check it, it could get damaged or lost. Their doctor also suggested they use it on the plane but as it turned out, they didn't need it, just for sleeping at night.

By the time we got to the ship, we realized that we forgot to pack an extension cord. We called the steward and he brought up a heavy duty extension cord.

Just so they didn't trip over the cord at night (runs on the floor across the room because the outlets are on the opposite side of the bed), we wrapped glow-in-the-dark sticks. I picked up a canister of them at Five Below.

Just back from traveling to the Breeze and back. First time that TSA did not ask me to remove my CPAP and let them check it, either in BNA or FLL. I was really surprised. And my new replacement ankle didn't set off the alarm either place, although one TSA agent in FLL asked me why I was limping.

Another suggestion I have is to buy bright colored duct tape (mine is lime green with peace signs on it!) to tape down your extension cord. Makes it easy to see in low light and also can be used to mark your luggage when you are debarking. There are so many bags that are black or red!

I hope that happens more! We just flew to JFK and back at the beginning of the month and it was the same song and dance. Next up is Portland after our cruise so we can always hope!

Robin

It is regulation to remove the CPAP from the bag. It is just like a laptop. You do not have to remove the humidifier chamber. NEVER PUT THE CPAP IN CHECKED LUGGAGE

Don't duct tape the cord to the carpet. Just place a bath towel over the cord, at night, and you will minimize the change of tripping. It also makes it easier to store. Always bring an extension cord that is in good condition. The cruise line will allow you to have it as long as it is not worn and has no cracks or "splices".

Most newer machines are quite small and do fit on the night stand, even if they have the built in lamp. Otherwise the couch works fine. Never set your CPAP on the floor.

You should use distilled water and if you call the "Special Needs" department, before your cruise, you will have a gallon of distilled water in your room when you arrive. Otherwise, you can call room service and it will be delivered. The cost is about $3.50/gallon.

A CPAP is a "required medical equipment" and is not considered a carry-on. You will be allowed to bring it on the plane even if you have another carry-on. The flight attendant can require you to check your carry-on if there is no room but not your CPAP.

Take care,

Mike

Archived